Version 0.12.20

Information about releases and roadmap.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Version 0.12.20

Post by FactorioBot »

Use the automatic updater if you can (check experimental updates in other settings) or download full installation at http://www.factorio.com/download/experimental.

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Version 0.12.20

Post by The Phoenixian »

I have to say, finding that chemical plant bug was hilarious. In a "I've been playing this game for a year and a half? I've taken note of the shape of the plant repeatedly and at length during that time. How in the name of all things did I miss that?" kind of way.

Still chuckling over it.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

FactorioBot wrote:
  • Modding
    • Technology prototypes now have optional integer property "icon_size". Default value for non-base mods is 64 (and 128 for base mod).
This one is awesome! Now we just need the same(or something like it) applied to terrain textures and icons.
Waste of bytes : P

crazybmanp
Inserter
Inserter

Post by crazybmanp »

Maybe the team needs to have a lower standard for stability. I know this is working well, and the game is easily the most stable indie game i have ever funded. But maybe a few low priority bugs could be saved for after the next big update is done or started?

toudi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by toudi »

I would also love more frequent feature releases (maybe 1 feture per week?). Dont get me wrong, crashes are bad, but the features come too sparsly.

mrtux
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrtux »

toudi wrote:I would also love more frequent feature releases (maybe 1 feture per week?). Dont get me wrong, crashes are bad, but the features come too sparsly.
You can always use mods – they come with lots of additional features.
If only my thesis could be done in Factorio …

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

crazybmanp wrote:Maybe the team needs to have a lower standard for stability. I know this is working well, and the game is easily the most stable indie game i have ever funded. But maybe a few low priority bugs could be saved for after the next big update is done or started?
We are already working on features in the meantime, these changes are just merged to the 0.13 branch.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

mrtux wrote:
toudi wrote:I would also love more frequent feature releases (maybe 1 feture per week?). Dont get me wrong, crashes are bad, but the features come too sparsly.
Most of the time, mods wait for stable releases (See that most mods have not updated/are not stable since 12.10)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

vedrit wrote:
mrtux wrote:
Most of the time, mods wait for stable releases (See that most mods have not updated/are not stable since 12.10)
I updated my 11 mods when 12.11 was released. It took me about 20 minutes. Most any mod not updated to work with the latest 0.12.20 are not updated because the mod author simply isn't working on the mod any more and not due to versioning/feature addition.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

vedrit wrote:
mrtux wrote:
All my favourite mods except Treefarm have been updated to be compatible with 0.12.20. Although in a couple of cases (or 3-4?) I've had to prompt either the modder to do it, or ask others to do it.

mrtux
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrtux »

The thing is: writing good software takes time. The guys are doing a great job of making a releasable game that will be fit for steam sales. They even seem to be working on the next features, see FFF. And we even get the intermediary results – otherwise we'd be still stuck on the latest stable release.

There are two ways to speed up the process:
  • find and fund additional developers for the team
  • help developing the mods
(Funding a developer would be something like finding 250 people who are willing to pay $20 per month and the Factorio team wanting to use that money to hire somebody.)

I'm glad that we get so many updates and a marvelous game almost for free (the one-time payment I made already paid off in terms of fun I had).
If only my thesis could be done in Factorio …

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

"You have to break a few eggs to make a cake."

The problem is, you can't just "implement features one by one" when they require changes in many parts of the code. E.g. the pathfinding might reqire a change of some of the map structures and it won't be compatible with current savegames. During development of that feature the data structures might be changed several times always breaking old savegames. Publishing this feature at that point would be bad. Instead they wait until it is stabilized and write a map converter for 0.13. After that you won't be able to use the new maps in 0.12 but it only happens at a major update.

We have to expect no updates for several weeks until they have all code braking features for 0.13 working well-ish. While I'd love to play with new (unfinished) features, I'd very much prefer factorio not to crash all the time and not to eat my savegames.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

ske wrote:
"You have to break a few eggs to make a cake."

The problem is, you can't just "implement features one by one" when they require changes in many parts of the code. E.g. the pathfinding might reqire a change of some of the map structures and it won't be compatible with current savegames. During development of that feature the data structures might be changed several times always breaking old savegames. Publishing this feature at that point would be bad. Instead they wait until it is stabilized and write a map converter for 0.13. After that you won't be able to use the new maps in 0.12 but it only happens at a major update.

We have to expect no updates for several weeks until they have all code braking features for 0.13 working well-ish. While I'd love to play with new (unfinished) features, I'd very much prefer factorio not to crash all the time and not to eat my savegames.
That is not true actually, the current 0.13 branch is compatibile with with 0.12 saves and probably usable.

genericname1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by genericname1 »

kovarex wrote:
That is not true actually, the current 0.13 branch is compatibile with with 0.12 saves and probably usable.
So release on Friday? :D

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

kovarex wrote:
ske wrote:...
I'm actually impressed, especially regarding the new rail tiles 8-)

When savegames make no problem, it would be very nice to have more releases soon e.g. activate only a few new features at a time as they are ready. Waiting for 0.12 seemed so long ;)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

ske wrote:
kovarex wrote:
ske wrote:...
I'm actually impressed, especially regarding the new rail tiles 8-)

When savegames make no problem, it would be very nice to have more releases soon e.g. activate only a few new features at a time as they are ready. Waiting for 0.12 seemed so long ;)
There are no new rail tiles.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

kovarex wrote: There are no new rail tiles.
I am disappoint :(

TBog
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TBog »

ske wrote:
You are confused, not "disappoint".

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

ske wrote:
Look at this and be happy: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... il#p119211
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

YourConscience
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by YourConscience »

Please release v13 before Christmas! I would like to use the free time to play with my kids and they keep asking me for months now when finally that new version will be there and I have to keep explaining to them what bug fixes are.

Also, personal wish: Work more on the tower defence aspect of the game. The challenge is too constant currently and once a small factory runs fully automated, there is nothing anymore that could endanger it anymore. One change that would already change things a bit: Sometimes a supercritter appears, runs one circle around your entire base, collecting up all smaller critters it finds on the way and then launches a MASSIVE sustained incursion into your base at the weakest defence point.

Return to “Releases”