Version 0.12.15

Information about releases and roadmap.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Version 0.12.15

Post by FactorioBot »

• Bugfixes
    • Fixed that it wasn't possible to execute ui actions while the game was stopped (research, tips and trikcs etc.)
    • Fix of fix of loading of game containing lua objects.
Use the automatic updater if you can (check experimental updates in other settings) or download full installation at http://www.factorio.com/download/experimental.

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Version 0.12.15

Post by Anomoly2012 »

I hate to be the first to ask this.. But is this functional? Or are we going to be sorry if we update? Im content with .12.10 for now.. And yes i understand sometimes these thing happen.. Not complaining... Just like to know what im getting before i do anything that would cost me all the hour ive put into my current save...

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Anomoly2012 wrote:I hate to be the first to ask this.. But is this functional? Or are we going to be sorry if we update? Im content with .12.10 for now.. And yes i understand sometimes these thing happen.. Not complaining... Just like to know what im getting before i do anything that would cost me all the hour ive put into my current save...
It would still break all the mods that work for 0.12.10, so if you want to update you will need to update all of your mods too (assuming the mods have been updated also)

MakiabelMFE
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MakiabelMFE »

Anomoly2012 wrote:I hate to be the first to ask this.. But is this functional? Or are we going to be sorry if we update? Im content with .12.10 for now.. And yes i understand sometimes these thing happen.. Not complaining... Just like to know what im getting before i do anything that would cost me all the hour ive put into my current save...
Also, as Klonan said, since you'd have to update all your mods, you might want to get a backup of all your current working mods on a safe place not in your Factorio folder. And you can always just download the version that was working for you again from the website in the experimental downloads.

Rockstar04
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rockstar04 »

Everyone also needs to remember that these are still experimental releases. breaks can happen at any time.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Not all mods will break. Only some, that uses special functions.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

most mods with a control.lua or mods with rails break
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

On man these updates are coming out fast now. :D

Also in regards to updating, I would also recommend making a backup of your saves too just in case. :) Usually I just download the newest version in ZIP form and make an entirely new folder for that version so I still have the older ones just in case.
Image Image Image

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

ssilk wrote:Not all mods will break. Only some, that uses special functions.
Any mod which uses a control.lua will break, which is the majority of utility mods, special function mods or things, which happens to be most of the most popular mods. FARL, RSO, EvoGui etc. all were affected.

Only mods which aren't affected are purely prototype based mods, such as my own wooden power pole, steel manufacturing units, things like that.

So not all mods, but for most people, it will break at least 1.

Anomoly2012
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anomoly2012 »

Klonan wrote:
ssilk wrote:Not all mods will break. Only some, that uses special functions.
Any mod which uses a control.lua will break, which is the majority of utility mods, special function mods or things, which happens to be most of the most popular mods. FARL, RSO, EvoGui etc. all were affected.

Only mods which aren't affected are purely prototype based mods, such as my own wooden power pole, steel manufacturing units, things like that.

So not all mods, but for most people, it will break at least 1.
Ok this is the information i was looking for.. My apologies for not clarifying that..

I am fully aware of the risk each update brings and its abiltity to destroy saves and do infact go overboard in my security of my now close to 120hr save.. And have multiple copies stored in various locations as a pre caution to such events.. And a full understanding of the time consuming task of manually going through each mod to make sure they are update enough to work with whatever .12 update i use.. .12.10 was the most stable and seemed to have the least issues, as well as fixing the issue with shotguns..

So thank you for verifying that infact it will break something... This information was extremely helpful as i want to update and clear up any of the minor bugs that i may experience in my current edition of factorio i do not yet plan to update past .12.10 due to the game not cooperating with the devs in there attempts to make this game even better.. I place no blaim on them... Its just the way things go when dealing with games such as these.. But well worth asking before blindly updating to loose countless hours of hard work.. As it seems many have been doing if im reading the forums correctly..

Thank you Klonan for your assistance in clearing up my concerns..

A

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Anomoly2012 wrote:
Thank you Klonan for your assistance in clearing up my concerns..

A

Thats no problem :D

I'd like to add that if you have a mod, and you check and see that the author hasn't updated it, it is a good idea to post a polite reply in the thread asking them if they will update it. Nobody will want to update their mod if they think nobody is using it, so it may prompt them to update it, and also if you don't see a reply someone might make an unofficial update for you in that thread

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

Xterminator wrote: Also in regards to updating, I would also recommend making a backup of your saves too just in case. :) Usually I just download the newest version in ZIP form and make an entirely new folder for that version so I still have the older ones just in case.
^this
I always keep at least two copies installed, the latest and latest that I know is "stable."

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

Anomoly2012 wrote: Just like to know what im getting before i do anything that would cost me all the hour ive put into my current save...
Wube is incredibly good with keeping savegame compatibility. I've never had an update break a save. My current factory is from 0.9.x, I think.
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Valkor wrote:
Anomoly2012 wrote: Just like to know what im getting before i do anything that would cost me all the hour ive put into my current save...
Wube is incredibly good with keeping savegame compatibility. I've never had an update break a save. My current factory is from 0.9.x, I think.
If you play without mods, then this is right.

But due to changes in the mod-api (I think so it is called) most mods have to be updated. In this case you have no savegame compability.

But, to state it clear, this is an alpha, and the 0.12.x versions are 'experimental'. So if you play with mods and want savegame compability then stick to the 'stable' versions AND do an update to the new stable version only AFTER checking if the used mods are also upgraded by the modmakers.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

To safely check, if the mods work for you with the current version, you can install the zip-version in any place before you install it with the (auto-)installer.

See https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... tall_guide
Look for Zip-Package.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Well, I have savegames from back in 0.9.8 that will NOT load in the latest version.... it doesn't bother me too much though because I have 0.9.8, 0.10.whatever, 0.11.22 and 0.12.12 installed, and I know that if I load my 0.9.8 games in 0.11.22, save, then copy to 0.12 they will load.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

bobingabout wrote:Well, I have savegames from back in 0.9.8 that will NOT load in the latest version.... it doesn't bother me too much though because I have 0.9.8, 0.10.whatever, 0.11.22 and 0.12.12 installed, and I know that if I load my 0.9.8 games in 0.11.22, save, then copy to 0.12 they will load.
Yes, this was the intention, so we can clean the migration and legacy code eventually, but people can still use older version to migrate old saves if they want to.

Gouada
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gouada »

Just a question:
Why don't you implement something like the minecraft launcher into Factorio to switch versions?
I can think of two reasons-
1. Your experimental versions tend to be much more stable than MC's snapshots
2. It would slow down opening the game and would make it have a bigger file
Is there anything else I'm missing?

Could you also use a feature such as this one to have more automated/refined backups?
No, I'm not a piece of cheese! :D

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Gouada wrote:Just a question:
Why don't you implement something like the minecraft launcher into Factorio to switch versions?
I can think of two reasons-
1. Your experimental versions tend to be much more stable than MC's snapshots
2. It would slow down opening the game and would make it have a bigger file
Is there anything else I'm missing?

Could you also use a feature such as this one to have more automated/refined backups?
Note: I had a few paragraphs typed out, but my F5 key went crazy and I lost it so here is a summary.

It is possible with Factorio but difficult because of the amount of Files involved (My Factorio folder has over 2k files including sounds/images/data files)
MC was essentially a .jar file with different command lines to read configs/saves from different locations.

I think the devs are leading towards steam/0.13 and I'm not sure how steam would handle different versions like that. Especially handling wiping and reinstalling old versions.
It could be possible for a player to code something up if they have enough experience/practice with C# or some other language, but to maximise usefulness, it'll have to be multi-platform supported (Linux/Mac/Windows etc)

As an Idea if someone want's to start something like that, a "difference" system where version Y has 2 changed files from version X, so only need to download/store those 2 files.
However issues would come up if a user decides to delete a folder thinking they don't need that version any more.
Perhaps it could work in reverse....
Keep all the files of the latest version available, and only keep the older files that are different to the next version.
Just some thoughts.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

PiggyWhiskey wrote: Note: I had a few paragraphs typed out, but my F5 key went crazy and I lost it so here is a summary.

It is possible with Factorio but difficult because of the amount of Files involved (My Factorio folder has over 2k files including sounds/images/data files)
MC was essentially a .jar file with different command lines to read configs/saves from different locations.

I think the devs are leading towards steam/0.13 and I'm not sure how steam would handle different versions like that. Especially handling wiping and reinstalling old versions.
It could be possible for a player to code something up if they have enough experience/practice with C# or some other language, but to maximise usefulness, it'll have to be multi-platform supported (Linux/Mac/Windows etc)

As an Idea if someone want's to start something like that, a "difference" system where version Y has 2 changed files from version X, so only need to download/store those 2 files.
However issues would come up if a user decides to delete a folder thinking they don't need that version any more.
Perhaps it could work in reverse....
Keep all the files of the latest version available, and only keep the older files that are different to the next version.
Just some thoughts.
different MC versions are also different JAR files

Return to “Releases”