Version 0.12.8

Information about releases and roadmap.
Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 0.12.8

Post by Kane »

ratchetfreak wrote:
gacek wrote:Shouldn't it be release? (someone switched to wednesday release, it's thursday already).
There isn't a release every week. If not enough bugs have been fixed for example it's not worth the new version
I have a feeling there be one today or tomorrow... There has to be. It was silly that they said this last week.

"We have shifted the release day to the middle of the week (this time wednesday) to have some time for a hotfix in case something goes wrong. "

Like how many hours if hours that people had major issue with shotguns so bad that most the streamers stayed with 0.12.7 for now. I went 12.8 I mean bugs are bugs and don't bother me I find ways around them but... That being said the entire Friday Facts was a funny one :P Because it's like now we can do Hotfixes! Never happen and of course no update has happen on Wednesday when we thought finally will have a fix hehe.

I'm not pissed or mad or angry. I'm just laughing at what was said and what some people are thinking. I'm having fun :) Back to playing!

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Kane wrote:
ratchetfreak wrote:
gacek wrote:Shouldn't it be release? (someone switched to wednesday release, it's thursday already).
There isn't a release every week. If not enough bugs have been fixed for example it's not worth the new version
I have a feeling there be one today or tomorrow... There has to be. It was silly that they said this last week.

"We have shifted the release day to the middle of the week (this time wednesday) to have some time for a hotfix in case something goes wrong. "

Like how many hours if hours that people had major issue with shotguns so bad that most the streamers stayed with 0.12.7 for now. I went 12.8 I mean bugs are bugs and don't bother me I find ways around them but... That being said the entire Friday Facts was a funny one :P Because it's like now we can do Hotfixes! Never happen and of course no update has happen on Wednesday when we thought finally will have a fix hehe.

I'm not pissed or mad or angry. I'm just laughing at what was said and what some people are thinking. I'm having fun :) Back to playing!
We've skipped a friday or 2 during the 0.12 releases so don't hold your breath until an update

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

The minor shotgun bug doesn't warrant a hotfix. That's really reserved for things like consistent CTD or save corruption.

gacek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gacek »

Update is fully automated, and from statement they made it sound like they're gonna do it more often.

Shotgun fix is quite important too :P

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Thursday is the defined update day, the fact that they've been releasing on days other than this is... odd, but basically drives you to the conclusion that it'll just be released, whenever they press the button.

Also, for a long time in the 0.10 and 0.11 series, it was always released on friday, so there MIGHT be one tomorrow. (or today for me now)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

At the moment there is still work in progress on some of the outstanding bugs. On top of that the issues that have been fixed are not super critical to warrant the release. Hence the 0.12.9 will most probably happen next week.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jockeril
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jockeril »

We can certainly hope...

The shotgun bug in 12.8 took me by surprise and I was sure that was the last update and work can start on 0.13. I hope it gets fixed and back to the way it was, because the way it is is just not intutive.i
[request] RTL support please

My mods

Formally Hebrew translator for FARL & EvoGUI mods

join me on
- Twitter[@jockeril],
- Twitch.tv/jockeril,
- Youtube/jocker-il (or JoCKeR-iL)
- and steam !

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

Ha! I might win a whole bunch of... nothing. I had forgotten about my guess.

voyta
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by voyta »

ratchetfreak wrote:
The question really is, why there should not be a release? Literally what is the reason to not push the "big red button", and let the automated system deliver whatever fixes there are, whenever the user base requests release of some fix (like shotgun shooting on multiple places in the forums). What actually remains as "cost" of a release, now that the testing and release process is automated? Being participant on agile releases makes me see some possible hurdles, but those are mostly tied to size of the product I'm working on (like actual cost of the _machine_ time that it takes to fully load test the contraption), with few "PR and sales" reasons ongoing from the old times and expectations of the industry, none of those I can see see to apply to the project of Factorio scale and target audience. And we are talking pure bugfix release, not feature release at the top of all that.

vlczero
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vlczero »

Krychle wrote:Anyone else on OSX getting the blank white bar overlay during gameplay?
I have a perpetual white bar at the top, looks like some glitch with the system menu.
This was not there before this 0.12.8 release, playing since 0.11.

OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F27)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)

Yes i have the same white bar at the top in 0.12.8 did not happen in 0.12.7.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

voyta wrote:What actually remains as "cost" of a release, now that the testing and release process is automated?
Server bandwidth? Bandwidth that otherwise might not be used if the update was delayed.

Though with the differential patching system of auto-updates, that's a bit of a moot point.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I still want to build in a friggin space! Woo space stations!

voyta
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by voyta »

bobingabout wrote:
voyta wrote:What actually remains as "cost" of a release, now that the testing and release process is automated?
Server bandwidth? Bandwidth that otherwise might not be used if the update was delayed.

Though with the differential patching system of auto-updates, that's a bit of a moot point.
Nah, that's is damn cheap nowadays: 100k downloads for 100MB factorio on Amazon S3 = 20 USD (http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html). The real "costs" that are weighted have to be people related, be it developers or players time/satisfaction/expectations/... :)

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

I imagine it has more to do with managing what goes in to each release - if 10 developers each work on a bug fix, releasing automatically too often may cause half-fixed bugs to be released, causing more harm than good.
Giving the developers time and control to decide which commit goes public at what time avoids most such problems.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

sillyfly wrote:I imagine it has more to do with managing what goes in to each release - if 10 developers each work on a bug fix, releasing automatically too often may cause half-fixed bugs to be released, causing more harm than good.
Giving the developers time and control to decide which commit goes public at what time avoids most such problems.
THat's what branches are for.

You branch off the main dev trunk to add a feature and merge it in after you are satisfied with the result

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

ratchetfreak wrote:
sillyfly wrote:I imagine it has more to do with managing what goes in to each release - if 10 developers each work on a bug fix, releasing automatically too often may cause half-fixed bugs to be released, causing more harm than good.
THat's what branches are for.

You branch off the main dev trunk to add a feature and merge it in after you are satisfied with the result
Yeah, that is kind of what we do for bigger features. Small features go directly to the master branch. Then we have branches for each release stream (like 0.11.x, 0.12.x, etc.)

Return to “Releases”