Post by orzelek »

roman566 wrote:What is this all about?
Mod author needs to update the mod.

lights0123
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Version 0.12.5

Post by lights0123 »

XartaX wrote:Ingame updater doesn't work ("no new updates available")?
Is enable_experimental_updates in config.ini set to true?

HexTex
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by HexTex »

Friday releases are the worst thing ever!

Our gamer round has some people who can only play on weekends. The friday releases break the mods, and till they are fixed playable, the weekend is pretty much over. Repeat that pretty much every weekend unless there is no new factorio release.

This totally sucks! Yeah now you say "don't update". Works if everyone is at the same version, but some of our friends join in or do breaks randomly, so the only way for all of us to have the same version, is to update to the latest.

Also what if there is a huge bug in the release? I am pretty sure the devs would love to have a nice free/off weekend as well. So why the hell did someone think friday would be a perfect day for new version releases?

HexTex
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by HexTex »

Ok my bad, you can actually download old versions.. we are going back to 0.12.4 now - i still think that friday updates are a stupid idea ;)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

You might be right, but stabilisation updates usually don't break mods.

This particular things means, that it is better to play without the mod than playing 0.12.4 with the old version, as it can crash the game easily.

Arumba
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Arumba »

In the 0.12.5 version while playing multiplayer I am getting auto-saves every minute, regardless of the setting I use on launch. Also, instead of saving three, it is keeping all of them, I now have up to _autosave20 in my save file list.

Additionally, if I disable autosave entirely, it still continues to autosave, but will crash to desktop the moment anyone tries to join the game.

Running the 64 zip version, windows 7.

*edit* Now I have 60 autosaves. I changed it to 60 minutes to try and get rid of the problem. It also makes sense then that disabling causes a crash, since its likely dividing by 0.
Last edited by Arumba on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

skintkingle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by skintkingle »

I think I know what's happening here. You said you've got up to autosave 20? I'm guessing you have autosave set to 20 minutes. I have 10 autosaves, and I have my autosave set to 10 minutes, and it is saving every minute. I think someone's switched over a value incorrectly. :) Someone needs a bottom slapped.

My friends love playing Savetorio, Save Simulator 2015, Factorio Autosaver Mod.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Arumba wrote:In the 0.12.5 version while playing multiplayer I am getting auto-saves every minute, regardless of the setting I use on launch. Also, instead of saving three, it is keeping all of them, I now have up to _autosave20 in my save file list.

Additionally, if I disable autosave entirely, it still continues to autosave, but will crash to desktop the moment anyone tries to join the game.

*edit* Now I have 60 autosaves. I changed it to 60 minutes to try and get rid of the problem. It also makes sense then that disabling causes a crash, since its likely dividing by 0.
In an MP game, autosave settings are dictated by the player who started the game; your local settings are irrelevant in this case. Did you start the game or did you join an existing game? If you joined a game, what autosave settings does the player hosting use?

Edit: Actually, forget that. I can see exactly what the problem is. Value swapped around, indeed.

Arumba
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Arumba »

Oxyd wrote:
Arumba wrote:In the 0.12.5 version while playing multiplayer I am getting auto-saves every minute, regardless of the setting I use on launch. Also, instead of saving three, it is keeping all of them, I now have up to _autosave20 in my save file list.

In an MP game, autosave settings are dictated by the player who started the game; your local settings are irrelevant in this case. Did you start the game or did you join an existing game? If you joined a game, what autosave settings does the player hosting use?

Edit: Actually, forget that. I can see exactly what the problem is. Value swapped around, indeed.
I hosted a brand new map with 20 minute autosaves initially. It saved every minute, we had 20 autosaves total. I changed the settings after rehosting to try and fix the problem, set it to 60 minute autosaves. We now have 60 autosaves, and it is still saving every minute. If I disable autosaves entirely the game crashes when anyone joins.

skintkingle
Inserter
Inserter

Post by skintkingle »

Oxyd wrote:

Check the commit notes! Slap that bum!

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Arumba wrote:
Oxyd wrote:

I hosted a brand new map with 20 minute autosaves initially. It saved every minute, we had 20 autosaves total. I changed the settings after rehosting to try and fix the problem, set it to 60 minute autosaves. We now have 60 autosaves, and it is still saving every minute. If I disable autosaves entirely the game crashes when anyone joins.
Yeah, I see now.

In case you're curious, if you check the “Allow Commands” checkbox, your autosave interval will be set to 1 minute; if it's unchecked, autosaves are disabled. The “Autosave Interval” slider determines the number of autosave slots; setting it to 0 will cause division by zero. Commands are always enabled and can't be disabled.

This doesn't affect games hosted on the server, only games started through Multiplayer → New Game in the GUI.
skintkingle wrote:Check the commit notes! Slap that bum!
The unnamed culprit is significantly taller than me, I don't think I'll be doing any slapping. He might slap himself, though.

Arumba
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Arumba »

So how much of that is working as intended? Is the 'allow commands' button supposed to allow/disallow commands? I'm not really understanding. It seems simpler to me to just go back to 12.4 where the world made sense >.<

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Arumba wrote:So how much of that is working as intended? Is the 'allow commands' button supposed to allow/disallow commands? I'm not really understanding. It seems simpler to me to just go back to 12.4 where the world made sense >.<
I'm pretty sure that description above is meant to help people until they fix the issue and all will work as it should :D

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Arumba wrote:So how much of that is working as intended? Is the 'allow commands' button supposed to allow/disallow commands? I'm not really understanding. It seems simpler to me to just go back to 12.4 where the world made sense >.<
Well, the latency slider works correctly. The “Use peer-to-peer” checkbox is also fine. The rest of that Multiplayer Lobby dialog is just wired up incorrectly.

Staying with 0.12.4 sounds like the reasonable choice at this point. In addition to this issue, there's also this bug in .5 that basically means you can't use smart inserters in MP.

Rage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rage »

Given i have over a hundred saves for each of my two main worlds,
FactorioBot wrote:
    • Changed open/save dialog and the rail station list to use case insensitive natural ordering.
that helps alot.

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

The game is so silent now. Nearly no music at all anymore.

I am sad.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm... The music is really interesting. I heard it now several times.

First: It is so silent, it is a mixture between ambient background (especially the different winds, the cymbal scrapes http://www.soundsnap.com/search/audio/c ... rape/score, the harmonic drones in background, which is also part of the basic theme). This is not very common for game-sound. I really like this step.

The music parts are flowing and not very distracting.

I like most "Gathering Horizon". This is really wonderful and it introduces also a theme, which doesn't get boring and it repeats through the whole music. And "First Light". But I begun now to hear the world-ambience sounds a lot and play it here in my room, they are really relaxing and useful for yoga. Very interesting is for me world-ambience2 from 0:30 ...

Sometimes I think they flow to strong. When you're working in your factory you don't hear it. Or it doesn't match with what you're currently doing. That is when a non-distracting music becomes distracting, because it is not distracting. :)

My 2 cents:
- Sometimes more distraction. I explained it above.
- Sometimes much louder. More distorted. I miss a really good tube distortion (*)
- Sometimes more heavy and brutal. :) I think some pinches of dark metal would hit a nerve and go into the right direction. (**)
- I think real instruments would bring it. A life played e-guitar. A real piano. Violin. Trombones. More real feeling. For me it is currently too synthetic, too nice, too tight.
- more of the main theme. I hope for a really good and long menu-song with a clear and nice main-theme introduction; some kind of "overture" (bringing in all themes) in the menu could be cool.

Edits:
- More different noises: The cymbal scrapes are matching, but the number of repetition is going on my nerves with the time. There are thousands of other industrial noises in the same category. Brakes of cargo trains for example. Also the wind can change a bit more.

(*) and/or very good tape-simulation.
(**) Also a good pinch of deepbass (For example http://8tracks.com/ketto/mindblow ) and maybe a very, very small pinch of harder dubstep for special situations.

TL;DR: Really nice music, but too dabbling, too silent sometimes, sometimes much harder, should match with the hard work you're doing in the factory, more diverse noises, a bit more realistic (a bit too much synthetic), stronger/high quality distortion, missing of clear main theme in the menu.
Last edited by ssilk on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited post to add more cents. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

FactorioBot wrote:
    • Changed open/save dialog and the rail station list to use case insensitive natural ordering.
Can we do this for the mod list too? Its sort is currently case-sensitive and is a bit of a pain.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

lancar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lancar »

ssilk wrote:TL;DR: Really nice music, but too dabbling, too silent sometimes, sometimes much harder, should match with the hard work you're doing in the factory, more diverse noises, a bit more realistic (a bit too much synthetic), stronger/high quality distortion, missing of clear main theme in the menu.[/b]
Where you do even hear all that stuff? I hear the game plays something slow and barely noticable occasionally, followed by loooong stretches of absolutely no music at all.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

:) I hear the music directly from the factorio/data/base/sound/ambience-folder.

after-the-crash.ogg
anomaly.ogg
are-we-alone.ogg
automation.ogg
beyond-factory-outskirts.ogg
first-light.ogg
gathering-horizon.ogg
pollution.ogg
research-and-minerals.ogg
resource-deficiency.ogg
solar-intervention.ogg
swell-pad.ogg
the-oil-industry.ogg
the-right-tools.ogg
transmit.ogg
world-ambience-1.ogg
world-ambience-2.ogg
world-ambience-3.ogg
world-ambience-4.ogg
world-ambience-5.ogg

I think when we play, we hear only 10-30% of the music.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Releases”