Version 0.12.0

Information about releases and roadmap.
Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 0.12.0

Post by Boogieman14 »

RocketWill wrote:I have one more questaion, I have factorio on an SSD and i do not want to wear it out, is the save file on the main factorio install?
Yeah, as already mentioned, those stories of limited SSD lifetime are waaaay outdated. Here's an endurance test of a bunch of recent SSD drives. They all nearly reached the PETABYTE range. That's 1,000,000 Gigabyte. It's highly doubtful that any gamer system will reach such numbers before the system has been upgraded (whole or in parts) twice over...
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

ArceeR
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ArceeR »

Apotheosis wrote:
Apotheosis wrote:Anyone else having a problem with screen tearing? I tried switching to fullscreen and turning on vsync with no effect. This has never been a problem for me with Factorio before until now.

What changed?
In addition to this I also appear to be having some sort of odd rendering issue with electric pole wires now:
I'm seeing this too... not a game breaker by any means, but just mildly annoying.

Also chiming in to say "thanks" for the update. Fabulous stuff :)

*Edit* Had I checked the bugs fixed for the next release before posting this, I would have known. Mea culpa... :oops:

Lefty-Mike
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Lefty-Mike »

So, I've been playing a while, I purchased the "Mining Drill Operator" version to support the devs and get the extra challenge maps. Will these maps work when 0.12 is "stable" I love playing pack/supply :?: :D

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Lefty-Mike wrote:So, I've been playing a while, I purchased the "Mining Drill Operator" version to support the devs and get the extra challenge maps. Will these maps work when 0.12 is "stable" I love playing pack/supply :?: :D
If they don't then it's a bug and we'll fix it :-)

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Speaking of the scenario maps - are there plans to add/expand them before 1.0 release? Or even after 1.0, but not as a separate DLC (for those who purchased Furnace Attendant or higher tier).
Mostly out of curiosity, I will probably play freeplay most of the time anyway :)

deepdriller
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deepdriller »

sillyfly wrote:Speaking of the scenario maps - are there plans to add/expand them before 1.0 release? Or even after 1.0, but not as a separate DLC (for those who purchased Furnace Attendant or higher tier).
Mostly out of curiosity, I will probably play freeplay most of the time anyway :)
From the Factorio main page:
Scenario pack.

Scenario pack is for Furnace Attendant or higher tiers. This is a set of additional mini campaigns. At the moment there are three, but we plan to add more in the future.
BTW, that page needs some updatin'.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

sillyfly wrote:Speaking of the scenario maps - are there plans to add/expand them before 1.0 release? Or even after 1.0, but not as a separate DLC (for those who purchased Furnace Attendant or higher tier).
Haha pretty much every release we are like "we should add stuff to scenario pack". There are plenty of ideas. But it will come for sure, just a question of time.

roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by roman566 »

Someone mentioned that bigger bitters were supposed to reduce the path finding employed by the aliens. Add bigger enemies and send less of them to improve the performance and keep the challenge. As one could say, no plan survives the contact with the enemy, in this case, the enemy wasn't informed to send less units to attack and sends just as many of them after the patch as they were sending before. The only thing that was reduced is the number of turrets defending my base in that area. Until I rebuilt them that is (and added couple dozen more).
So overall, this reduces the performance as I now need much more turrets that require much more steam engines to be kept on-line, much more boilers to fuel those engines, much more inserters, belts and drillers to keep all of that running.
So, please, either reduce this 'green alien spam' to manageable levels where an entire patches of land do not have to be turned into forests made of turrets, or remove the green aliens altogether. They do not bring anything interesting to the game as 'just add more turrets' DOES work on them.
Attachments
less pathfinding.jpg
less pathfinding.jpg (482.93 KiB) Viewed 7464 times

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

roman566 wrote:Someone mentioned that bigger bitters were supposed to reduce the path finding employed by the aliens. Add bigger enemies and send less of them to improve the performance and keep the challenge. As one could say, no plan survives the contact with the enemy, in this case, the enemy wasn't informed to send less units to attack and sends just as many of them after the patch as they were sending before. The only thing that was reduced is the number of turrets defending my base in that area. Until I rebuilt them that is (and added couple dozen more).
So overall, this reduces the performance as I now need much more turrets that require much more steam engines to be kept on-line, much more boilers to fuel those engines, much more inserters, belts and drillers to keep all of that running.
So, please, either reduce this 'green alien spam' to manageable levels where an entire patches of land do not have to be turned into forests made of turrets, or remove the green aliens altogether. They do not bring anything interesting to the game as 'just add more turrets' DOES work on them.
Pro tip --- gun turrets don't use power and saw through them like lumber. Different alien types may require different tactics. If you put down a few gun turrets and then set a laser 2 to 3 squares behind those you have a great defense.

Also please don't forget that according to the posted game plan by the factorio staff, a complete revisit of combat mechanics is upcoming as early as the 0.13 release.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

Does the game now have "high-priority crafting" shortcut now?

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Artman40 wrote:Does the game now have "high-priority crafting" shortcut now?
I'm fairly sure the patch notes didn't say anything about that.

roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by roman566 »

Pro tip --- gun turrets don't use power and saw through them like lumber. Different alien types may require different tactics. If you put down a few gun turrets and then set a laser 2 to 3 squares behind those you have a great defense.

Also please don't forget that according to the posted game plan by the factorio staff, a complete revisit of combat mechanics is upcoming as early as the 0.13 release.[/quote]

Pro tip - gun turrets require ammo. I have 1.9k laser turrets and it is going to be close to 3.5k when I complete the defenses around my base. Gun turret has 17 points range so I would need one every 2-3 laser turrets... roughly 1k gun turrets, each requiring ammo to be delivered. Yeah... I think it will be cheaper to spam roboports and use repair packs and add MOAR laser turrets when things go rough. Cheaper, faster and much easier.

As I said before, more laser turrets works... so adding new aliens makes little to no sense. It's just a minor annoyance for a small base and a mayor one for a large base as I have to run around and add turrets to my defense lines.

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

I think you hit some kind of cap if the aliens send just as many green biters as they used to send blue. Like, they would be sending even more (and would have sent way more blues before the patch), except due to lag concerns the game ensures only so many are sent. So it would help with performance in the intended way except your alien evolution level is just too high for the change to make a difference.

roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by roman566 »

From what I remember, the alien evolution level is capped at 1.0 and it's growth is based on several factors, pollution, destroyed bases and time. All I could do is hit the 1.0 cap. Not that difficult for someone using steam engines rather than solar power.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

However, is there less motivation to go after level 3 modules now?

Tom_The_Hero1
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tom_The_Hero1 »

I made a few new worlds after 0.12 came out but whenever i saved a world i could never load the world again without having factorio crash on me. :(
edit :I also just noticed that people can no longer connect to me to play multiplayer :(

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

Align wrote:I think you hit some kind of cap if the aliens send just as many green biters as they used to send blue. Like, they would be sending even more (and would have sent way more blues before the patch), except due to lag concerns the game ensures only so many are sent. So it would help with performance in the intended way except your alien evolution level is just too high for the change to make a difference.
He's not at the cap. The quantity shown in his screen shot is really quite small. Play on a death world and you won't bat an eye at those size groups anymore. The piece that so many players ignore is that gun turrets do A LOT more damage / sec than lasers do, INSANELY larger amount. For a group that large, a couple of walls and 4 - 5 guns will handle that easily (fixing the gun turret health of course).

roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by roman566 »

I did play on a real Death World. Not even a single bitter attack... even after I placed the Rocket Defense.
In the long run? DW got boring really, really fast. Tons of fighting for no gain. Maybe now with the new improved turret spam I would try it again.

What annoys me is not that I cannot handle the bitters, it's that I have to add more turrets to do that. (even after my DPS increased by 60% compared to pre-patch) It's just pointless and boils down to something like this:
"look, we added this new enemy!"
"Does it do anything interesting?"
"well, yeah, it's BIGGER! And green!"
"And?"
"And that's it."
"So... do I need something new to defeat it?"
"Eee... no."
"Just add more turrets?"
"Ekhm... yes?"
"So, what's the point of the new enemy?"
"Oh, look! An obvious distraction!" Runs away.

Oh, the screnshot? Yeah, it's a very nice, peaceful planet. Not a death world, but as I said, those get boring very, very fast.
Attachments
been there done that bought the tshirt.jpg
been there done that bought the tshirt.jpg (101.17 KiB) Viewed 7641 times

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

If you don't like the new biters, you can mod them out of the game. That's the great thing with games that are modifiable, if you don't like it, remove it. :)

Daddie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Daddie »

FishSandwich wrote:If you don't like the new biters, you can mod them out of the game. That's the great thing with games that are modifiable, if you don't like it, remove it. :)
True.. but when a game is still in development that answer is really a bad answer. If most people really don't like a feature you should address it and not point towards the mods (not saying that the Factorio mods are doing that!)

Return to “Releases”