Re: Version 0.12.0

Post by RocketWill »

Ooh, can't wait untill the new 0.13 tech tree

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

RocketWill wrote:So when factorio is released on steam, everybody who got it here is going to get a code to get it on steam, correct?
That is my understanding, yes.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

You know that if you register steam code any future updates or DLCs will get 30% less profit for factorio devs right? So if you want to support devs more DO NOT USE steam key. So basicaly if you buy it on steam developers get 30% less. There's that so now you know.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

cpy wrote:You know that if you register steam code any future updates or DLCs will get 30% less profit for factorio devs right? So if you want to support devs more DO NOT USE steam key. So basicaly if you buy it on steam developers get 30% less. There's that so now you know.
The Updates (so far) are already not charged.
And I do not want to buy DLCs. I will SURLEY buy a new installment (Factorio 2 or any other game) unseen from the guys.

So Wube will not lose one cent from my buings and I like to have factorio in my steamaccount.

Gecko
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Gecko »

I'd like to share my train of thought here with you:

Three weeks ago, an update for another favourite game of mine was released. Similar to the Factorio release, it was a mayor step forward. As of v. x.x.0 there were two gamebreaking bugs and some of the inconvenience ones in the first release of the update. Just a few hours after the release they already were at version x.x.2. Two pushed updates for bugfixes. Three weeks later (no real updates were intended since then) they are at v. x.x.7ish.

Factorio was released. The version 0.12.0 was released. It was there. As I read the 11 pages until my post, there was no major bug. And no gamebreaking one at all!

Dear Devs I realy want to thank you for such an awesome game! Keep up the great work!

A Fan.

Apotheosis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Apotheosis »

Apotheosis wrote:Anyone else having a problem with screen tearing? I tried switching to fullscreen and turning on vsync with no effect. This has never been a problem for me with Factorio before until now.

What changed?
In addition to this I also appear to be having some sort of odd rendering issue with electric pole wires now:

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

DeserveVictory wrote:How long can I expect to wait until the in-game update feature will update to 0.12? I'm too lazy to uninstall and reinstall with a new download, and my internet here is so bad that it's prohibitive to do that anyways.
The question is if 0.11.22 can be updated at all. And the update package is almost as big as the full download anyway, so just download the instlaler. You don't need to uninstall the previous version, IIRC.

oLaudix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by oLaudix »

cube wrote:
DeserveVictory wrote:How long can I expect to wait until the in-game update feature will update to 0.12? I'm too lazy to uninstall and reinstall with a new download, and my internet here is so bad that it's prohibitive to do that anyways.
The question is if 0.11.22 can be updated at all. And the update package is almost as big as the full download anyway, so just download the instlaler. You don't need to uninstall the previous version, IIRC.
Not to mention 64 bit windows autoupdate is disabled.

boro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by boro »

The new soundtrack is amazing guys, I just hope it gets extended a little.

JimiQ
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JimiQ »

boro wrote:The new soundtrack is amazing guys, I just hope it gets extended a little.
Yeah, it's great. Kinda reminds me of Fallout 2, I don't know why :-)

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

Stickman wrote: Why is there that slider to begin with? Wouldn't you always want that latency to be as low as possible?? Why even give the option to manually increase latency?
If actual latency goes higher than the setting, the game will freeze until it catches up. You lock in a latency slightly higher than it really is so the game keeps running smoother albeit with more lag in the feel of actions.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

roy7 wrote:
Stickman wrote: Why is there that slider to begin with? Wouldn't you always want that latency to be as low as possible?? Why even give the option to manually increase latency?
If actual latency goes higher than the setting, the game will freeze until it catches up. You lock in a latency slightly higher than it really is so the game keeps running smoother albeit with more lag in the feel of actions.
The game could automatically figure out the best setting for you though.

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

Zeblote wrote:
roy7 wrote:
The game could automatically figure out the best setting for you though.
Yeah, ideally some sort of adaptive timeout.

Each peer tracks the worst ping time to each of it's peers.(You'd probably just time the packets you are sending already, in practice)
Once each 1800 ticks(Or some other reasonable value determined by testing), send this 'max ping value' to all peers, just like a player action would be.
You should receive a max time from each peer (because they are doing the same thing as well).
Use the largest value reported(yours or one of your peers).
Set the latency to that value plus some margin(margin determined once again by some sort of real world testing)

I'm sure the dev's already have something similar in their long term plans for network related stuff, along with the additional latency hiding as time goes.

RocketWill
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RocketWill »

I have one more questaion, I have factorio on an SSD and i do not want to wear it out, is the save file on the main factorio install?

Grey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Grey »

RocketWill wrote:I have one more questaion, I have factorio on an SSD and i do not want to wear it out, is the save file on the main factorio install?
You have the windows page file on your ssd? this will "wear" it out far more. Actually the ssd are way tougther than most people think. Dont care for the factorio saves.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

RocketWill wrote:I have one more questaion, I have factorio on an SSD and i do not want to wear it out, is the save file on the main factorio install?
Yeaaaah that's not a thing. Only swap space and window's update can really wear an SSD out. Tiny things like save files won't do that.

A combination of firmware and software tries to wear out all of a SSD's storage cells fairly evenly. I think the best practice is still to not format an SSD for its full size. Leave 10-15%'ish unformatted to be used by TRIM.

Grey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Grey »

bobucles wrote:
Yeaaaah that's not a thing. Only swap space and window's update can really wear an SSD out. Tiny things like save files won't do that.

A combination of firmware and software tries to wear out all of a SSD's storage cells fairly evenly. I think the best practice is still to not format an SSD for its full size. Leave 10-15%'ish unformatted to be used by TRIM.
Modern SSDs have a "normal" lifespan of about 8-10 years. Think back to 2005, at that time the first 1TB drives came available, but standard was somewhere around 300-400 GB. So who would use a 5 year old disc in an productive system? You would have exchanged it before failure most probably.

roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by roman566 »

FishSandwich wrote:
roman566 wrote:Why bigger enemies were added? The defense strategy will remain the same - just add more turrets. The attack strategy will not change - just use more turrets. So, what's the point of them other than forcing the player to build more turrets?
It was talked about a few Friday facts ago, they were basically added to reduce the strain on pathfinding.
Rather than 20-30 now I get 10-15, half of which are the new green ones... I guess it is a reduction. Still, it forces me to double the amount of turrets all over the place to keep them from doing any damage. Way too annoying. I would like the old swarm of enemies back.

willou37
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by willou37 »

Merci !!!!!!

Merci pour cette excellente mise a jour
Merci pour ce jeu très bien fait
Merci pour ces heures de jeu

Merci a toute l'équipe de Factorio

Un français qui adore votre jeu

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

Another scripting question, what happend with the defines container?
Tried this:

Code: Select all

/c game.on_event(defines.events.ontick, function() game.players[1].print("hi") end)
but it keeps saying that theres no defines variable in LuaGameScript... Any help?

Return to “Releases”