Version 0.7.0

Information about releases and roadmap.
DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Version 0.7.0

Post by DRBLN »

I want to play a free game with creeper bases, but without creeper attacks.
How do I disable their attacks?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

DRBLN wrote:I want to play a free game with creeper bases, but without creeper attacks.
game.mapsettings.pollution.enabled = false

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

gr0mpel wrote: obviously im not the only one who is confused with the smart inserter behaviour. will you fix the "no cable or filter set - they dont move" - feature?

because i only use smart inserter since they are faster as someone mentioned above..and connecting about 400 of them now..NO WAY :)

edit: and this however means that atm all my savegames are not playable because nothing gets produced :cry:
To be honest, the fact that smart inserters are faster than fast inserters has not been intentionall. And we were not aware of it:) I think a reasonable solution would be following:

1) Level up the fast inserter so it has the same speed as (now) the smart inserter. It is fast inserter after all:)
2) Perform a one-time migration in the code, that will replace all the smart inserters without filter and without cable by fast inserters (for 0.7.1). This will "repair" the blocked factories without a need to rebuild all the smart inserters manually.
3) Keep the current logic for the smart inserter (no wire + no filter => takes nothing, wire + no filter => takes everything).

What do you guys think?

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Goddohando wrote:My first impression.

I think you have a problem now. The game was boring in the initial stages before, but then as you go forward and start to actually build the whole factory it then picked up the pace become fun.
But now you introduced mechanic that makes starting state EVEN MORE tedious and slower because you have to manage pollution. This is bad...
But, on the other hand I do like the pollution mechanic. This is a really good addition to the game.

Possible solution:
- make enemies ignore thte pollution in the beginning 30 or something minutes, to be able to build the first base and only then start accounting it. This way players will have two ways to go about it: either be as quick as they can while ignoring pollution, OR be as slow as they can and slowly build their base.

That's the idea, but I'm sure you can figure something out. Maybe even better.
I don't think that the game is tedius in the beginning. Actually for me the initial phases are often the most adrenaline ones. You need to do so many things and now there is even (on top of that) pressure of biter attack.

OTOH I agree that in the regular game it should take some time before they start attacking. However this can be achieved by balancing the pollution spreading and amount of pollution needed to produce angry biters.

gr0mpel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by gr0mpel »

slpwnd wrote:
gr0mpel wrote: obviously im not the only one who is confused with the smart inserter behaviour. will you fix the "no cable or filter set - they dont move" - feature?

because i only use smart inserter since they are faster as someone mentioned above..and connecting about 400 of them now..NO WAY :)

edit: and this however means that atm all my savegames are not playable because nothing gets produced :cry:
To be honest, the fact that smart inserters are faster than fast inserters has not been intentionall. And we were not aware of it:) I think a reasonable solution would be following:

1) Level up the fast inserter so it has the same speed as (now) the smart inserter. It is fast inserter after all:)
2) Perform a one-time migration in the code, that will replace all the smart inserters without filter and without cable by fast inserters (for 0.7.1). This will "repair" the blocked factories without a need to rebuild all the smart inserters manually.
3) Keep the current logic for the smart inserter (no wire + no filter => takes nothing, wire + no filter => takes everything).

What do you guys think?
sounds great.
since the smart inserters are faster than the actual "fast" ones - i guess - no one who knew about it really used the fast ones.

your solution seems to fit the bill.
i would really appreciate the auto-replacing!

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

slpwnd wrote:The small biters are 30% faster than the player. They indeed stop after biting (there is a cooldown).
30% faster is overkill. Why? Becouse this means they are fast enought to compleetly suround you in no time as they did me. And since you are only able to fire in one direction your chances for survival are realy slim. Especially if b iters actually start rotating around you so you are not shoting at same biter all the time.
I would suggest next:
Make sure that they need a bit of time before accelerating to full speed. So for instance they start at speed a bit lower than the players default speed and then gradually accelerate to full speed which can be even 30% faster than player speed.
This will mean that they won't be always surrounding the player but at the same time player won't be able to simply run away from them without taking any damage.

pjodron
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pjodron »

*cough*

"first try"
*looking around*
*starts building pickaxes*
*looks at red dots on map*
EEEEEEEEEK
*dies in less than one minute*

"second try"
*looks at map*
WTH?!
*dies in 6seconds*

Im not sure if i put some setting wrong in the start, going to have to fiddle aorund a bit to see if this continues.

Edit:
>< in freemode, low enemies and low base and all that. i still ended up just next to 10 spawning huts. worms looks nice tough

knut
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by knut »

and I most of all liked adjusted armor - I right now run with a car speed))) and here monsters appear not only near base, but also is direct on the base! ! ! and it already search because the meaning of walls with which I fenced accumulators and batteries is lost, worms simply appear really inside and start having fun
. it is necessary to fence so that inside there was no empty seat (((and the quantity of tourist's fir-trees should be increased to 2500 pieces, literally continually you put. though to play became much more cheerful.

there is no full statistics - how many killed, how many the megawatt developed for all game of t of another.

if power lines
with conveyors worms didn't guzzle, would be
norms, and it is so necessary the spare line of a message, and that it is possible to remain without energy. and in general tactics of collecting of resources didn't exchange - both pressed monsters tourist's fir-trees, and I press

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRBLN »

kovarex wrote:
DRBLN wrote:I want to play a free game with creeper bases, but without creeper attacks.
Where do I change that?
I do not have that line in the file control

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

DRBLN wrote:
kovarex wrote:
Where do I change that?
This would be very nice to have in the options when creating a freeplay game. Definitely something I am interested in seeing. As it currently stands I'm finding the mobs a little overtuned but even when the sweet spot is hit with them I'd still like to run some pretty peacefull games where I'm more focused on just the building. Thumbs up to DRBLN for the idea.

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

Tell me :D My game was manageable at the beginning, but now i cant go to the part of my factory where my solar array is, because whenever i approach, 4 huts and about 50 big biters appear there and destroy everything including 40 laser turrets walled in double walls.

nours77
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nours77 »

Bonjours,

I would go up a bug, the map editor crashes with this adjustment

I think it's coming from the enemy base frequency or the starting area, when I run before freese and back windows, it is not uncommon that the starting point is in an alien base.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

DRBLN wrote:
kovarex wrote:
Where do I change that?
You can type it into the console (pres ~ or / in the game and console appears).

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

FrozenOne wrote:Tell me :D My game was manageable at the beginning, but now i cant go to the part of my factory where my solar array is, because whenever i approach, 4 huts and about 50 big biters appear there and destroy everything including 40 laser turrets walled in double walls.
They appear only when you approach the area? That is rather strange. Could you maybe start a bug thread and post a link to the save?

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Balinor wrote:
This would be very nice to have in the options when creating a freeplay game. Definitely something I am interested in seeing. As it currently stands I'm finding the mobs a little overtuned but even when the sweet spot is hit with them I'd still like to run some pretty peacefull games where I'm more focused on just the building. Thumbs up to DRBLN for the idea.
Having a peaceful settings sounds like a good idea. The enemies will still be there but will only protect when you try to attack them.

Balinor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Balinor »

slpwnd wrote:
Balinor wrote:
Having a peaceful settings sounds like a good idea. The enemies will still be there but will only protect when you try to attack them.
Yeah this was my thought exactly. I like having the options to play either a full out game (as current) or a more relaxed approach when I just want to have a more sedate evenings gaming. I'm loving the overall update so far though, great stuff.

askovdk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by askovdk »

I've been playing the .7 alot, and I really like it. :)
The polution system gives the game a new and even better feel.
I.e. you are alone on a hostile world, - to survive you need to build up a production line, but doing so will expose you.

I love this kind of 'stealth strategy', that reminds me of 'AI wars - fleet command' another of my favorite games.

Aarkreinsil
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Aarkreinsil »

Heya, this is my first post here, so it might be a little bit excessive.. yay<3

Just tried out the 0.7.0 version and the first thing I'm noticing is, that the nearby forest soaks up my pollution pretty good, the red squares on the map keep flashing like crazy as they try to expand into the forest, but are being absorbed immediately. That way, building a wall of trees might actually be more beneficial than building a wall of bricks, if you wanna keep the aliens out. Saplings, anyone?

On another note, I think you should restrict the alien colonization to reclaiming destroyed bases. So they won't build new settlements all over the place, but rather just try to reclaim the bases that you destroyed beforehand, or something.
The spreading of settlements should be optional, though, otherwise it might get a bit annoying if you want aliens but don't wanna see them occupying the whole map.

Also, what kinda baffled me was that boilers don't produce any pollution, and that electrical mining drills produce more pollution than the burner variant. Why?
Electrical drills don't produce any CO2, as far as I know. I mean, have you ever had your room polluted by an electric fan or even an air conditioning machine?
Sure, they might stir up some dust from the ground, but I don't think that's what pollution is about.

I'd rather have it that the boilers produce a variable amount of pollution depending on your energy need, just like a real life coal power plant would. Then the aliens would primarily target your power production, which would actually make sense since that would immediately shut off all connected miners and machines, too.
Also, that way you'd have a strong incentive to use green energy in order to make peace, but as it stands right now it doesn't really matter for your pollution if you use coal power or solar energy, since the pollution comes from the miners and furnaces.

As you said before, you might as well add another factor, that the aliens don't like you strip mining their resources, independently from polluting their planet, but I digress.

One final question: I noticed that there is actually wind in the game, which blows the steam/smoke puffs around in different directions. Will you utilize that for pollution mechanics, too?

Oh and of course, this is a great game which I already recommended to some of my friends. We're anticipating the multiplayer part, and have no doubt that this will be a big hit on Steam Greenlight and Early Access. Keep on rollin' and stay on track~

Cheers.

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

Wind already makes the pollution spread more along its direction. (so far, i think its changing too rapidly so it cant be seen much)

Aarkreinsil
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Aarkreinsil »

Weird, for me it kinda spreads in a circle, except for the forest where it's being absorbed immediately, just as if it would hit a wall.

I can see the new pollution sectors flashing all around my existing pollution, as if it's trying to spread in every direction, but being dissipated before it can properly manifest there.

Return to “Releases”