I lost a large blueprint book due to bug

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
republikanen
Inserter
Inserter

I lost a large blueprint book due to bug

Post by republikanen »

I made a new blueprint. Then I wanted to add that new BP to my BIG blueprint book so I opened B and did as I have done before "dropped it over the book".

But the effect was not the expected that my new BP was inserted into the book instead it replaced my book in that slot. And now my book is GONE! This behaviour is seriously bad.

Clearly a bug.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: I lost a large blueprint book due to bug

Post by Koub »

Actually, when you "drop" a blueprint on a book in your blueprint library, the blueprint and the book just switch places. The blueprint takes the place of the book in the blueprint library, and the book gets held by the cursor.

What did you do with the cursor at that moment ? Are you sure you didn't just drop it somewhere on the ground (or in your inventory) ?

I can't say for sure this isn't a bug, but the blueprint not being added to the book is the way the new BP library is working. If you want a blueprint added to a book, you have to open the book, and place it where you want in the book.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

republikanen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by republikanen »

I do not remember that I did with the cursor at that time.

I have now checked again my inventory, the ground where I was standing, and my BP library. The book is nowhere to be found.

Why should a blueprint be able to change place with a book in the first place so the book only gets stored on the cursor? Very unreliable implementation, if this make users loose their books.

And going back to a earlier save did not restore the BP library to its old state either.

Please make sure users like I don't loose BPs this way on the ground or elsewhere.

If anything at all is going to be deleted from the library, it must be done so explicitly by the user, not by accident!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The blueprint library doesn't autosort, and the way things have been implemented allows easy reordering and placing your blueprint wherever you want in your library, knowing that drag and drop is not supported by the gui library if I remember correctly.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

If you have an old save you can load it and recover the book.

Save early, save often!

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

It's not a bug, it's a feature :roll:
I would agree this feature could be better. Valuable things should not be lost just because the player regardless of any possible reason.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Pebcak.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

steinio wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:28 pm
Pebcak.
UX does not work in this way.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

republikanen wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:55 am
so I opened B and did as I have done before "dropped it over the book".
Did this work previously? Whether this is a change in behavior or not is relevant.

kryojenik
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kryojenik »

Yeah, the BP library revamp, while awesome in general, introduced some VERY surprising behavior changes. Yes, it used to work in a way that clicking a book with a BP on your cursor would add the BP to the book. Now it swaps places with the book.

I too lost an extensive book. I picked one up from "My blueprints" to place in "Game blueprints". Didn't realize it was a "MOVE" operation. Since we were just testing something out at the time, we didn't save the game. So, the BP book was lost.

The BP library should be treated more like a filesystem, and less like an item inventory. An operation that that involves more than one storage entity should be a default "COPY" operation. My Blueprints <-> Game Blueprints <-> Inventory. Operations on a single entity should be default "MOVE" operations. One cell in My Blueprints to another. From one level in My Blueprints to a book in My Blueprints.

Also, a BP item on the cursor when clicked on a book in the library should add the cursor item to the book. If it is dropped on an individual BP item, it should create a new book, add the item that originally occupied that space and the new item from the cursor.

This is how I'd envision an intuitive UX to operate.

Return to “Pending”