[0.18.x] Windowed size no longer retained between sessions (Windows)

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.18.x] Windowed size no longer retained between sessions (Windows)

Post by malventano »

Starting with 18.0, the game no longer appears to remember its windowed size between sessions. Factorio now always starts with the window expanded to fill the entire screen (maximized window with a border, not full screen). If the user then tries to resize the window during launch, they are still stuck with the GUI elements sized for the initial larger window size. This impacts the use of menus / GUI when attempting to play windowed on larger desktop displays.

Workaround: Hit ctrl - to scale GUI back down to a reasonable scale after resizing the window, but this must be done on every launch.

Edit - while experimenting further, I was able to get the window to stop launching full screen after hitting ctrl - while at the smaller window size and then exiting, but the window is now stuck at that size / location on every subsequent launch. Resizing or repositioning again and then closing results in the window going back to the previous (different) size / position on the next launch.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.18.x] Windowed size no longer retained between sessions (Windows)

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however it sounds like you've just stuck yourself in fullscreen mode?

If you don't want that, go into settings -> graphics -> un-check "Full screen". and click "Confirm". Then it will start windowed.

Factorio has never remembered window size between restarts.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.18.x] Windowed size no longer retained between sessions (Windows)

Post by malventano »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:44 pm
Thanks for the report however it sounds like you've just stuck yourself in fullscreen mode?

If you don't want that, go into settings -> graphics -> un-check "Fullscreen". and click "Confirm". Then it will start windowed.
No sir, full screen is unchecked in my configuration, but Factorio was launching as a maximized window before I somehow got it to launch with a more 'normal' window size.
Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:44 pm
Factorio has never remembered window size between restarts.
Unsure what to say here, but it appeared to (somehow) save this info in the past. I used to run Factorio with the window in more of a square aspect ratio and that would stick between sessions. This no longer seems to happen with 18.x.

--- more info ---

Ok, I think I figured out the window size thing. If UI scaling is set to a higher value (e.g. if you were previously running on a high DPI display), and then you move over to a standard DPI display, the launch window size appears to scale larger to accommodate that higher UI scale setting. With the UI scale set high enough, the game will launch with the window taking the full screen (but not fullscreen mode - just a really large window).

Not sure of a real fix for this, but will contribute that I believe I accidentally scaled the UI via hotkey at some point, and that bumped it out of automatic mode, which led to the initially reported condition. Probably fine if this one is not an issue unless there is something that can prevent folks from accidentally going down the path I went down...
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

Return to “Pending”