[0.17.66] Rails: chain signal opens on occupied rail

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[0.17.66] Rails: chain signal opens on occupied rail

Post by ssilk »

I'm not sure if this was reported or not; there are some signal related bugs open, maybe this is a side effect of another bug. So before I make a bigger, complete issue with save etc. I show just the screenshoots and a small explanation:
Screenshot 2019-09-01 at 13.17.53.png
Screenshot 2019-09-01 at 13.17.53.png (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2346 times
This is the situation. From player position the rail number 2 there is a train, that blocks the whole connection. But - as you might also see, when you think of this picture logically - this train can never allowed to be there, cause the signal that allows him to enter was red, cause the train before just occupied the entry signal, like on track 3, 4 and 5.

Screenshot 2019-09-01 at 13.08.58.png
Screenshot 2019-09-01 at 13.08.58.png (187.45 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
Here is the same situation as map-view with debug signals.

I saw this error now the first time, which wonders me, as this construction now works really near perfection since V0.16. So what has changed is the Factorio version.

And I can also explain how this happened 20 seconds before:
On the right side there are the 3 entry rails. The rightmost was occupied with the train which now blocks, but from the center rail a train drove into track number 3, which was at that time not occupied. In the moment when that train stopped, the rightmost train starts driving into track number 2. But the entry-signal for track 2 was still red! I saw this exactly, cause I was looking at this moment onto the map with this debug view open.

So what I saw was in end-effect, that a train, that drives through an allowed chain-signal-passage, that this train opens the path for another train into a blocked signal-path.

As said, I've the save etc. If you need more explanation just PM me.

PS: Maybe it's something with the very close to the end-of-train signals (the red signals track #3, #4, #5, where the orange chunk-border goes through)? This is done to enable entering faster into the waiting-area; immediatley when the train before moves, the next train can follow.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.17.66] Rails: chain signal opens on occupied rail

Post by Loewchen »

Trains have a small position window and not a fixed point when stopping at a station, so the signal might simply not have been red.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Loewchen wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:01 pm
Trains have a small position window and not a fixed point when stopping at a station, so the signal might simply not have been red.
The station is two trains further, train on track #2 waits here in front of a signal. And no matter if it is waiting in front of signal or stop: it does not move anymore.

I try to explain it shorter: Track #2 was occupied. Waiting train could not go in. Then other train goes into track #3. After that, the waiting train drove into the closed area through red signals.
The logical conclusion is this: something must have happened, so that Factorio thinks, that this track is free now. What could that be? For me as programmer this looks like it is a problem, that there are two (or more) methods to calculate, if a track is free and they are not perfectly equal in what they do.

PS: I'm sorry, after replaying the autosave this doesn't happen again. :/ Maybe you should sort it into "Pending"?

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

well... you do have 3 4 partially signalled crossings here. They might have something to do with this.
2019-09-01 18_38_32-Window.png
2019-09-01 18_38_32-Window.png (700.82 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
With block viz on:
2019-09-01 18_57_37-Window.png
2019-09-01 18_57_37-Window.png (908.4 KiB) Viewed 2297 times

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, it's just one block. 3 rails goes in, 6 goes out. No magic involved here. :) The number of crossings doesn't count.

Blacky007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blacky007 »

please check you setup if you don't have a similar construction bug as I did some weeks ago
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=62078
My color birthday was May 2nd 2020 - Thank you Enchroma

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It's a while ago, but now I have nailed down a save, where I can really see, that the train is here going the wrong way. I managed to track that down, because it happened at this station nearly every 5 minutes.

As you see in the pic, it is nearly the same kind of station as above:
Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 13.26.47.png
Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 13.26.47.png (203.81 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 13.27.24.png
Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 13.27.24.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1781 times
The train to the right has been running over the blue chain signal below and then (instead of choosing the second row) it uses the third row. Which was and is red signal. The rules shouldn't allow that.

So it MAY be due to this kind of crossing (3 in, 6 out) that I use here. Nevertheless: it's a bug - but I will accept that it might not be fixed, because it is such a strange edge case. :)

I have also a save. (*) It takes about a minute or so, when a train arrives, which will go into these closed signal path. The save takes a lot of mods, and I haven't tested it, but I'm nearly sure, that all mods that are really needed to reproduce it is LTN. But I can test that also. But I would be interested, if someone cannot reproduce it.

(*) unfortunatly it's 136 MB and I cannot upload it here and I'm in holyday and have a very crappy upload speed. So: I'm on it and will upload it somewhere, but it may take some hours. Meanwhile I finish this post.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

Where am i supposed to look to find the issue? There is chain signal missing on the upper lane meaning train properly passed the regular signal and stopped at the rail chain signal.
75145-missing-chain-signal.png
75145-missing-chain-signal.png (305.57 KiB) Viewed 1754 times

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm, copied that station from a blueprint. Like all the others. Seems, copy failed. I will have a closer look tomorrow...

Sorry...

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

disentius wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:45 pm
well... you do have 3 4 partially signalled crossings here. They might have something to do with this.
2019-09-01 18_38_32-Window.png
With block viz on:
2019-09-01 18_57_37-Window.png
The red chain signals at the tops of each image are in different places. The bottom image's is one position to the right.

I don't think this matters in the situation, but when I saw the first image my first thought was that that chain signal was too far to the left to properly enclose the intersection.

Return to “Pending”