[0.17.x] No more research queue

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
nafira
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.17.x] No more research queue

Post by nafira »

Hello !

I don't really know if it's a bug or not, since i'm normally able to a queue once I launched a rocket (according to 0.17 patch note), but my new game in 0.17 always allowed me to queue research since the beginning.

But since 0.17.13 or 0.17.14, I'm not sure when, I can't have a research queue (as intended, but never mentionned in any patch note).

So, was I in a buggy situation ? (for nearly 10 releases) or did you correct it "by mistake" ?

Thank you in advance for your response.

The_Bros_47874
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17.x] No more research queue

Post by The_Bros_47874 »

There's a setting at the beginning of the world generation that you have to use to have the research queue since the start, hope that helps.

nafira
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nafira »

Thank you, I think in beta testing, while starting a new map, it's checked by default (I didn't change anythinng other than humidity and cliffs).
It must have change in a early change. I'll re-check every patch note.

See for your eyes :
Attachments
Queue available
Queue available
20190317191137_1.jpg (330.64 KiB) Viewed 4443 times

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Hello, in your screenshot, the research queue is plainly visible in the top left corner. Could you explain what you mean by “I can't have a research queue”?

PadreSperanza
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PadreSperanza »

Well I was playing a new game yesterday. And I have had research queue enabled all the time but today I wanted to double click another "future" research into queue and nothing happened.
I am not able to pick something into queue and I honestly do not find the option anymore to enable it. Playing with Steam-version, latest exp. but with 0.17.11 it was still there. Interesting thing

EDIT: This feature has to be enabled in the map-gen-settings. But once you have created your map you are fixed to the settings made before. Maybe it were a little bit better to get this option as a global setting instead :P

knightelite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by knightelite »

Agreed, it would be way more beneficial as a global setting. I spent a while looking through all the settings to be able to enable it, and then had to resort to google to find out it was a map setting. Also makes it annoying to enable on old maps, as it requires a console command that disables achievements.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

PadreSperanza wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 pm
Well I was playing a new game yesterday. And I have had research queue enabled all the time but today I wanted to double click another "future" research into queue and nothing happened.
I am not able to pick something into queue and I honestly do not find the option anymore to enable it. Playing with Steam-version, latest exp. but with 0.17.11 it was still there. Interesting thing
I see. So you do have the queue in the GUI but can't add anything into it? Could you post the save, please?
knightelite wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:30 pm
Agreed, it would be way more beneficial as a global setting. I spent a while looking through all the settings to be able to enable it, and then had to resort to google to find out it was a map setting. Also makes it annoying to enable on old maps, as it requires a console command that disables achievements.
Well, the setting has to be the same for all players in the map, so it can't be in your personal settings.

knightelite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by knightelite »

Oxyd wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:04 pm
knightelite wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:30 pm
Well, the setting has to be the same for all players in the map, so it can't be in your personal settings.
Can we have the personal settings override the map for single player games maybe? Or alternatively have some obvious way to enable it on existing maps?

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

What about a slash command which doesn't disable achievements?
There is already a lua command for it in LuaForce.

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by tehfreek »

A command to enable and disable it would be awesome.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Twinsen wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:00 pm
Or you could, even better, make /c and /editor not disable achievements but instead move you to the "modded achievements" category if you are playing vanilla. Mods are just /c commands but with some extra powers, makes no sense that /c disables achievements when it's mostly used to avoid installing a mod that does it when you want to do some one-off thing. :roll:

Or when I as modder get approached by someone who messed up their settings with my mod and I need to restore their settings or maybe just disable some gui part of the mod and when I tell them "just run this command" they don't want to lose their achievements. So I need to include a /command for their specific use case or they need a mod like "Someone's Lua Console" or "/Sudo" so they can run commands less powerful than mods and not disable their achievements. :cry:

You can play with Creative Mod and get asked twice "Do you really want to enable the /editor and lose achievements". Why? What if I'm actually testing out achievements with my mod and I need a command to try different things, but that locks me out of seeing their progress? I can have 120 mods that do all the things running tens of thousands of lines of /c command equivalents and modifying and adding prototypes (even the goals of achievements themselves?) but I still can't run /c commands without disabling achievements or use them to help the people who use my mods.

Sorry for the ranty text but I see no good reason for the current very frustrating design, even if I don't even care about achievements for myself. :o

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

Twinsen wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:00 pm
Is this still on the cards? I think an admin-only "normal" command to do this would be helpful in a lot of circumstances. I'm working on Mass Production 3, playing a challenging game, now I'm thinking of throwing away a prefectly valid speedrun after realizing a few techs in that I didn't select the research queue :(
Shameless mod plugging: Ribbon Maze

Return to “Pending”