[0.16.28] Train collision between two automatic trains

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
Youri
Inserter
Inserter

[0.16.28] Train collision between two automatic trains

Post by Youri »

I was driving through my base in my train, at low speed, when right next to me two automatic trains collided in a rail crossing that should be collision-safe.

I was driving the black train at the bottom. Right after this happened I got out and took the picture. There are four vertical rails, from left to right going up/down/up/down. So it's essentially two identical two-way lanes side by side, and the crossing here is what lets trains move between these two-ways. The white train coming from above had just left the nearby station so it was not going at full speed. The red train coming from the bottom was going at full speed, or very close to it.

I was not placing or removing rail, I was not driving either of the collided trains. The only thing I was doing that could have to do with this bug, was that I was driving through that same crossing in a separate manually controlled train, at low speed.

Attached is the save file right after the collision. I also have an autosave from before, but I couldn't get the collision to reproduce. This leads me to think that me driving past in a manual train has a LOT to do with this case, as it would be impossible to replicate that exact situation manually due to be driving at low speed instead of full speed (so the timing would always be barely off, allowing for a safe crossing). As usual I was playing a vanilla save without any enabled mods. I checked the logfile but all it did was autosave 2 minutes before, and a minute after the collision - no other logs inbetween there.
Attachments
Youri.Overhaul2.16.zip
(46.34 MiB) Downloaded 119 times
Last edited by Youri on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gullyn
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Train collision between two automatic trains

Post by Gullyn »

This is absolutely a problem I've encountered in 16.28. I've had multiple trains run into each other and be destroyed. I've never had trains running on automatic crash into each other.
I don't dare play in 16.28 for fear of more trains getting destroyed.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Gullyn wrote:This is absolutely a problem I've encountered in 16.28. I've had multiple trains run into each other and be destroyed. I've never had trains running on automatic crash into each other.
If you have a save before a collision or know a way to cause one provide it please, without this unlikely to get solved.

Gullyn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gullyn »

With all due respect, I have played dozens and dozens of experimental and release versions. I have *never* had automatic trains crash into each other before 16.28. I don't know if something changed in 16.28 or 16.27 but *something* has changed. Perhaps the developers could check what has changed in those versions to determine a probable cause.

Hmmm, perhaps the developers could check the changes for "Fixed a crash in rail pathing when deleting signals."....

In the meantime I will attempt to reproduce the bug but it takes hours for just to see the result of a crash. I don't know what precipitates a crash.

Youri
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Youri »

Gullyn wrote:This is absolutely a problem I've encountered in 16.28. I've had multiple trains run into each other and be destroyed. I've never had trains running on automatic crash into each other.
It would be interesting to see at what areas the trains collide, like which intersections and such. Certain signal setups may be needed for the crash to be able to occur.

Also, for me this is the only crash I've had so far, and I happened to be driving by myself, meaning I was influencing the traffic. Was this also true for the crashes you experienced? I assumed that this was the reason why I couldn't reproduce the crash from a recent autosave.

Gullyn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gullyn »

I've had 2 crashes near a round-about. To the best of my knowledge I wasn't in the area or manually driving a train at the time.

I also noticed a dead-lock at a two-way to one way junction - yet, to the best of my knowledge, it was signalled properly.

I don't know how I'd reproduce this as it could take hours to occur and I may not be observing the right location when it happens. I'm hoping the developers can review their code and see a situation where signals might be ignored - especially considering a signal related change was made in 16.28.

ps. When I say crash, I mean a 2:8:2 train was totalled leaving only 2 locomotives. So as far as I can tell, this is a high speed crash.

Gullyn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gullyn »

It seems the round-about might be my issue. My 2:8:2 train is heading to a stop and half-way through a round-about that stop becomes inactive. I believe in pursuit of the next available stop the train paths through itself - destroying any of its own wagons on the way. I've never seen this happen so I'm unsure if this is a new behaviour or an existing behaviour that I've never encountered.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Gullyn wrote:It seems the round-about might be my issue. My 2:8:2 train is heading to a stop and half-way through a round-about that stop becomes inactive. I believe in pursuit of the next available stop the train paths through itself - destroying any of its own wagons on the way. I've never seen this happen so I'm unsure if this is a new behaviour or an existing behaviour that I've never encountered.
It's a lately change to ommit trains blocking itself on turning in roundabouts.
Before this change, trains in a roundabout saw itself and blocked it's way through chain signals.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Youri
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Youri »

steinio wrote:
Gullyn wrote:It seems the round-about might be my issue. My 2:8:2 train is heading to a stop and half-way through a round-about that stop becomes inactive. I believe in pursuit of the next available stop the train paths through itself - destroying any of its own wagons on the way. I've never seen this happen so I'm unsure if this is a new behaviour or an existing behaviour that I've never encountered.
It's a lately change to ommit trains blocking itself on turning in roundabouts.
Before this change, trains in a roundabout saw itself and blocked it's way through chain signals.
So this could explain the collisions that Gullyn was talking about, but it doesn't explain mine. My collision did not happen at a roundabout, but rather at a rail crossing section. Either something else must be happening here to cause this problem, or the logic you're talking about that lets trains continue pathing has some kind of edge case here.

Return to “Pending”