[16.23] Fluids not leveling

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[16.23] Fluids not leveling

Post by Dune »

In version 15, all fluids would have the same level if not separated by a pump. I'm noticing in 16 that fluids fluctuate drastically, and I'm having difficulty getting fluids from trains to tanks then to refinery.

To demonstrate, here's a series of petroleum tanks. The bottom left, is full and the bottom left pump can't insert any more fluid. The top right tank is at 3/5 (15k) full. In version 15, like I said, these would all have the same level (the same percentage of 100%).

Attached is the save game. There are no mods.
Attachments
MP 001_156.zip
(34.53 MiB) Downloaded 49 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [16.23] Fluids not leveling

Post by posila »

I made attached map in 0.15 to test the difference in fluid leveling in storage tanks in your setup, and didn't observer any difference between 0.15.40 and 0.16.23
Attachments
fluid_flow_setup.zip
(2.65 MiB) Downloaded 41 times

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Tanks have a bad flow rate. You need huge pressure differential to get liquids into or out a tank fast. In your setup you have that at the entry with the pumps. But not so at the exit or between tanks. So pressure drops of from the first tank to the second, to the last through the pipe until it hits the last chemical plant. Since you constantly take out petroleum gas from the last tank it will never level off.

But who cares? Do yo get enough fluids at the chemical plants? If not add a pump going out of the tank.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

posila, mrvn, thanks for taking a look at this.

I ran your test posila in both 15.40 and 16.24 and also showed the same experience, almost to the exact numbers under heavy demand by pumping the liquid to the other end of the tanks. I guess i wasn't putting as high demand on my liquids in 15.40 as I do now.

In a test environment, this runs smoothly. In a game, numbers fluctuate all over the place since liquids enter and exit in so many ways.

Maybe if I want higher numbers at the end of the tanks, is to put pumps there as you have in the series of tanks.

Thanks, I guess it is operating as expected.
Attachments
fluid_flow_setup 15.4.zip
(4.02 MiB) Downloaded 38 times

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Use a single tank to pump fluids in an out. If you need more buffer storage add pumps to the other two connectors with one pump going in set to "fluid < 5000" and one pump going out with "fluid > 20000" connected to more tanks.

Return to “Pending”