16.12 Inserter dropping on to Splitter

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
Tony3D
Inserter
Inserter

16.12 Inserter dropping on to Splitter

Post by Tony3D »

Fairly sure that I read somewhere that the examples with the red lights are supposed stop and that is by design. The issue seems to be about the area of the splitter that the inserter is dropping on to. Examples will stop/clog/block, or whatever you want to call it, when dropped directly from rear however an example will work if dropped from any other of the three sides of a splitter.

I don't think that it is very intuitive for a user but I can accept that there are different opinions. However if that is the case then there are some other positions that probably should also not work.

I tried to lay out the examples facing the same direction to demonstrate how a user might be thinking. The lowest side of the splitter is the inserter that stops/clogs - the top side functions as expected.
splitter.png
splitter.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2630 times
Attachments
splitter.zip
(4.45 MiB) Downloaded 87 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 16.12 Inserter dropping on to Splitter

Post by Loewchen »

What are you even reporting?

Answer those questions please:
  • What do you do?
  • What happens?
  • What do you expect to happen instead?

chrisgbk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by chrisgbk »

Tony3D wrote:Fairly sure that I read somewhere that the examples with the red lights are supposed stop and that is by design. The issue seems to be about the area of the splitter that the inserter is dropping on to. Examples will stop/clog/block, or whatever you want to call it, when dropped directly from rear however an example will work if dropped from any other of the three sides of a splitter.

I don't think that it is very intuitive for a user but I can accept that there are different opinions. However if that is the case then there are some other positions that probably should also not work.

I tried to lay out the examples facing the same direction to demonstrate how a user might be thinking. The lowest side of the splitter is the inserter that stops/clogs - the top side functions as expected.
Depending on the orientation of an inserter and a splitter, the inserter will drop onto the output side of the splitter, resulting in the item not going through the splitter and the inserter being unable to move more items. This is a result of inserters dropping on the far side of the belt, so it's by design and intended behaviour AFAIK.

Tony3D
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tony3D »

Loewchen wrote:What are you even reporting?

Answer those questions please:
  • What do you do?
  • What happens?
  • What do you expect to happen instead?
you do nothing except for examples that use an assembler may require new raw materials

red light examples the inserter at the lower segment of splitter does not drop its item when only placed at rear of a splitter

the actions of the inserter dropping items on to a splitter is no longer intuitive to a user. it now does not appear to be consistent across different uses. either it should work consistently one way possibly always dropping on to a splitter's input (rather than the current 75%) or they all should drop on the splitter output side.

The splitter image does not differentiate input or output sides. Regardless of direction that the inserters are in relation to the splitter - the item held by the inserter looks like it is dropped into the center of the splitter.

SQLek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SQLek »

Inserter puts items on the further away side of belt when placing. When this further away is on output of spliter, then You inserting on output.

Return to “Pending”