Has anyone else found the exploitable bug with manual crafti

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Has anyone else found the exploitable bug with manual crafti

Post by Twisted_Code »

I have searched to the point of being reasonably sure this has not been reported already:
on a 0.14.13 server that I have running from the command line, I noticed that under certain circumstances, I was getting more items from crafting than I expected. It seems that if, while I have the ingredients in my inventory, I (in groups of five) queue up 10 (or more, but for example sake let's say 10) inserters, and then queue up an equal number of fast inserters, followed by the same in filter inserters, my crafting queue sometimes (I've yet to figure out how to reproduce it consistently) ends up looking like this (a key element to this bug is that the perquisite items end up being queued up in higher quantities than expected):
15 inserters->15 fast inserters->10 filter inserters
if I then (again, in groups of five) remove the excess inserters & fast inserters, I often seem to end up with more products then I should for the ingredients I spent. Before I go any further with trying to reproduce this, does this sound like anything that's been reported? Might it be enough to pinpoint the bug in the code? Surely there's not that much code involved in manual crafting, is there?
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Has anyone else found the exploitable bug with manual crafti

Post by Rseding91 »

Don't forget that some recipes produce more than 1 item and they aren't all needed to craft something. Like copper wire - if a recipe only needs 1 it will craft 1 set of copper wire and you end up with the extra in your inventory.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Twisted_Code wrote:I have searched to the point of being reasonably sure this has not been reported already:
on a 0.14.13 server that I have running from the command line, I noticed that under certain circumstances, I was getting more items from crafting than I expected. It seems that if, while I have the ingredients in my inventory, I (in groups of five) queue up 10 (or more, but for example sake let's say 10) inserters, and then queue up an equal number of fast inserters, followed by the same in filter inserters, my crafting queue sometimes (I've yet to figure out how to reproduce it consistently) ends up looking like this (a key element to this bug is that the perquisite items end up being queued up in higher quantities than expected):
if I then (again, in groups of five) remove the excess inserters & fast inserters, I often seem to end up with more products then I should for the ingredients I spent. Before I go any further with trying to reproduce this, does this sound like anything that's been reported? Might it be enough to pinpoint the bug in the code? Surely there's not that much code involved in manual crafting, is there?

If you can show a really reproducible set of steps to clearly show the issue we can take a look,
A save game with the bare minimum of what is needed would be great, as it is the way you describe it, it is hard to deduce exactly where the problem lies

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

Rseding91 wrote:Don't forget that some recipes produce more than 1 item and they aren't all needed to craft something. Like copper wire - if a recipe only needs 1 it will craft 1 set of copper wire and you end up with the extra in your inventory.
Thanks, but this is definitely a bug. If it's not producing free stuff then it's at least queuing more than I want.
Klonan wrote:
Twisted_Code wrote:I have searched to the point of being reasonably sure this has not been reported already:

If you can show a really reproducible set of steps to clearly show the issue we can take a look,
A save game with the bare minimum of what is needed would be great, as it is the way you describe it, it is hard to deduce exactly where the problem lies
Sure, I'll try to produce such a save tomorrow when I get home. Not sure when that will be, but we'll see...
as far as the steps, I think it was something along the lines of (working off the inserter example):
ensure you have plenty of gears, circuits, and iron plates (and note how many)
(while something else is crafting so you can queue everything at once) right click (assuming default keybinds) on the crafting recipe for normal inserters n-times (where n > 1), followed by fast inserters n-times, and then filter inserters n-times.
If I'm not missing anything (and I don't think I am, unless it's something that happened to the save and persists for an indefinite timeframe), your crafting queue should now display
inserter (n+1)*5x -> fast inserter (n+1)*5x -> filter inserter n*5x
and you will receive n*5 of each.
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

Return to “Pending”