[0.14.1] [kovarex] Map upload/download speed seems limited

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
taka_qiao
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.14.1] [kovarex] Map upload/download speed seems limited

Post by taka_qiao »

I started the factorio server since 0.12.X
But My upload speed (When players loading the map)is always 200+KB
Upload speed is very fast at first but after a scond it becomes extremly slow (50kb) and after a few seconds later
The upload speeds become 200+kb/s
Idk how to fix it And i test my upload speed in speedchecker
Its 10MB/s
Sry for my poor English bcuz its not my natvie language :D

Erus_Iluvatar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.14.1]Upload Speed has been limited

Post by Erus_Iluvatar »

Same issue here, I'm connecting to another PC in the same room, was getting 10 MB on 13.19, getting 200kB/s now (but the speed slowly increases until the map is downloaded).

rkfg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rkfg »

Same for me, I used to download the map on 1-3 Mbytes/sec before and now it starts from 100-200 Kbytes/sec (I'm connecting to my own machine via loopback!) and slowly increases to 1.1 Mbyte/sec at the end. This really should be tweaked.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

The algorithm has been tweaked...

Previously upload speed didn't matter, because all players paused while the game downloaded,
However now the server has to continue playing the game while the connecting player downloads,
Meaning you cannot have extreme download speed, as it would choke the bandwidth and cause connection issues for the other peers

rkfg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rkfg »

I'm afraid it has been tweaked to the wrong direction... What if my server has 100 Mbit/s or 1 GBit/s bandwidth? Could it really choke it with only two clients connecting each of them getting 8 Mbit/s at max? Doubtful. I'd like to be able to control this behavior, for example to set the "starting" speed that is then increased (or decreased in case of packet loss) further.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Klonan wrote:The algorithm has been tweaked...

Previously upload speed didn't matter, because all players paused while the game downloaded,
However now the server has to continue playing the game while the connecting player downloads,
Meaning you cannot have extreme download speed, as it would choke the bandwidth and cause connection issues for the other peers
Ignore this this is not only true, but misleading.

This is change for 0.14.2, so 0.14.2 might get slower uploads as the were too fast in 0.14.1. I have no idea why it could be too slow for you, It works much faster in my tests, but it is hard to simulate all of the posisble problems.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Anyway, the problem is, that it doesn't grow fast enough or doesn't start on big enough speed? Or is it that it stops growing at speed lower than you would expect?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

kovarex wrote:Anyway, the problem is, that it doesn't grow fast enough or doesn't start on big enough speed? Or is it that it stops growing at speed lower than you would expect?
Experiencing the same (download speed) issue:
amazing graph
It is the same on all servers I have played on so far.
But this has been the case since the map transfer optimization in 12.34, it was even worse before.

rkfg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rkfg »

kovarex wrote:Anyway, the problem is, that it doesn't grow fast enough or doesn't start on big enough speed? Or is it that it stops growing at speed lower than you would expect?
I'd say, all of it. The map I'm currently playing on is around 20 Mb and Factorio starts on too low speed (400 Kb/s) that grows at the constant speed of +100 Kb/s per sec and ends up at 1.5 Mb/s when the map is fully received, I suppose it would grow further if the map is big enough. I think it's just weird because I'm downloading the map from my own machine, there's zero packet loss and everything. I'm on Debian stretch amd64 if it matters..

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

rkfg wrote:
I'd say, all of it. The map I'm currently playing on is around 20 Mb and Factorio starts on too low speed (400 Kb/s) that grows at the constant speed of +100 Kb/s per sec and ends up at 1.5 Mb/s when the map is fully received, I suppose it would grow further if the map is big enough. I think it's just weird because I'm downloading the map from my own machine, there's zero packet loss and everything. I'm on Debian stretch amd64 if it matters..
I increased the initial speed + increased the way it grows/slows down when downloading, so it should work better in 0.14.2. I also attempted to limit the upload speed on the server when other peer latencies start to grow, so it might get actually get worst. We shall see when the update is out (we just started the release script).

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

kovarex wrote: I increased the initial speed + increased the way it grows/slows down when downloading, so it should work better in 0.14.2. I also attempted to limit the upload speed on the server when other peer latencies start to grow, so it might get actually get worst. We shall see when the update is out (we just started the release script).
Might you consider a command line option to set the server's max K/sec it'll use for uploading to clients? (Combined total upload bandwidth being used by all people downloading.) Then someone who knows they can spare 5MB/s for uploading maps safely can just set that.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

roy7 wrote:
kovarex wrote: I increased the initial speed + increased the way it grows/slows down when downloading, so it should work better in 0.14.2. I also attempted to limit the upload speed on the server when other peer latencies start to grow, so it might get actually get worst. We shall see when the update is out (we just started the release script).
Might you consider a command line option to set the server's max K/sec it'll use for uploading to clients? (Combined total upload bandwidth being used by all people downloading.) Then someone who knows they can spare 5MB/s for uploading maps safely can just set that.
I didn't only consider it, but I implemented that.
If you specify the max upload speed manually, it will use that value. If you don't specify it, it will try to kind of guess it.
It can be specified either in the server config file when starting headless server or in the gui when starting it in game.

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

kovarex wrote: I didn't only consider it, but I implemented that.
If you specify the max upload speed manually, it will use that value. If you don't specify it, it will try to kind of guess it.
It can be specified either in the server config file when starting headless server or in the gui when starting it in game.
Fantastic, thanks!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.14.1] [kovarex] Upload Speed has been limited

Post by kovarex »

I tested it today after the 0.14.2 release by joining some servers, and it really seems to be faster, can you confirm it?

taka_qiao
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by taka_qiao »

Idk why
After updating to 14.2
It slower than before
Its like 50kb...

taka_qiao
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by taka_qiao »

Its 700kb-100kb-50kb.. It grows up somtimes (Idk why)to 150kb then slow down to 50kb again..
It seems like more slower than 14.1 now
Its very werid

roy7
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by roy7 »

I connected to a server last night and got a 2.5Mb download rate. Never seen it nearly that fast before. Was awesome.

rkfg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rkfg »

Can confirm, it's good now. The download from localhost was very fast, I only noticed something like 14 Mb/s at the end. Overall it felt like an instant! Thanks for the fix, will try it with friends via the internet.

taka_qiao
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by taka_qiao »

I create a new map
THe download speed is very fast at first
And then it will pause a few seconds
Then continue downloading(200kb+)

taka_qiao
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by taka_qiao »

The old map(14.1)download speed is very slow (at first 50kb then 150kb)
And pause and restart download again and again(actually its very slow at sometimes then back to normal donwload speed)

Return to “Pending”