[0.13.15] mouse captured by factorio on linux

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
jonathansty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.13.15] mouse captured by factorio on linux

Post by jonathansty »

Not sure if this bug is caused by factorio or by linux.
Sometimes when playing in window mode my mouse gets captured by factorio and I can't move my mouse to my other windows.
Only option is to quit the game. Even when switching windows the mouse stays limited to the factorio game window area.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.13.15] mouse captured by factorio on linux

Post by Oxyd »

How can we reproduce this?

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

I also get this, exactly as described by OP.

The settings I use are: Ubuntu 15.10, steam version, windowed mode (maximized) (though I think it happens with fullscreen in the same way)

The problem is it's extremely intermittent. It might happen 10% of the time, maybe less, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or rhythm. If it happens again I'll see if I can narrow down the conditions.

jonathansty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jonathansty »

Oxyd wrote:How can we reproduce this?
Good question, It doesn't happen often. And everytime it does suddenly happen. I might have noticed it way too late. I'm using a dual monitor setup and tend to often switch between screens. No idea if this is relevant. I'm also running antergos with GNOME as desktop environment.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

jonathansty wrote:
Oxyd wrote:How can we reproduce this?
Good question, It doesn't happen often. And everytime it does suddenly happen. I might have noticed it way too late. I'm using a dual monitor setup and tend to often switch between screens. No idea if this is relevant. I'm also running antergos with GNOME as desktop environment.
Are you also using the Steam version?

Garog0201
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Garog0201 »

it could be the desktop environment.
i play ~75% of factorio under linux since 12.x with kde desktop but never had such issue. i also have two monitors and switch a lot between factorio and vlc and browser

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Garog0201 wrote:it could be the desktop environment.
i play ~75% of factorio under linux since 12.x with kde desktop but never had such issue. i also have two monitors and switch a lot between factorio and vlc and browser
My initial thought was also Unity being weird. But then jonathansty says he can reproduce it under Gnome and I've been playing Factorio under Gnome for ages and never seen that issue.

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

I experience(d) a similar issue. But I do not want to point only in the direction of the factorio game.
Before .13 it happened after - I have to guess - somewhat between 15 and 180 minutes. But both mouse and keyboard got fetched by the game. I was still able to see & move the mouse cursor, and to alt-tab between all open windows forth and back.
The only way to solve this problem was to exit factorio.

It got better with .13 for me. At the moment, for the last some weeks only the mouse was affected, I was still able to use my keyboard.

I've also noticed, that this issue seems somewhat connected with the spotify (http://www.spotify.com) software - it ocured less often, when spotify was not running.

---

os specs:
linux mint 17.3, kde, 32bit
playing via steam

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by golfmiketango »

Haven't seen this with kde frameworks 5, 64-bit factorio, no steam... although perhaps it occurs and I just didn't notice. I have noticed some usability issues that occur when I mouse around outside of the game and then want to return focus to the game, but that's not really on-topic I suppose.

jonathansty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jonathansty »

tamanous wrote: I've also noticed, that this issue seems somewhat connected with the spotify (http://www.spotify.com) software - it ocured less often, when spotify was not running.
Actually, I also have spotify. It might be spotify. I'll try running without it and if I still get it after a while I'll post back.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

I don't have spotify.

I do use a dual monitor setup.

jonathansty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jonathansty »

I was playing around with the "awesome" window manager today and got the same issue. Again I have no idea what caused it. I have 1 terminal and factorio on my screen. However I was switching between these 2 a lot. When reloading the mods it got fixed.

feldim2425
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by feldim2425 »

Same problem.
I have Ubuntu 16.04 and Factorio version 0.13.19.
The Mouse capture seems random. I only had Steam open in the background.

Tynach
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tynach »

I'm a KDE user and just ran into this, so it's not a desktop environment specific bug. I'm also using the Steam version.

I've been using the steam version for a while and this is the first time, but I'm also not using the experimental builds (only the beta/'stable' ones)... So only today with the switch to 0.13.18 did I start experiencing it.

I'll see how often it happens, and try using the Non-steam version to see if it stops or happens less, just as, or more frequently.

First impression of the bug is that it might have to do with the game's handling of the mouse interacting with perhaps the Steam overlay, if it only happens on the Steam version. Does anyone have it happening on the non-Steam version?

It also happened to coincide with the game freezing up or something, and I couldn't click anything or quit the game. Had to kill -9 it. I was looking at the mod list.

When I restarted the game the mod list would not load. Hmm.

But I suspect that's a different bug.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Can you reproduce the issue in latest 0.13 or 0.14?

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

Klonan wrote:Can you reproduce the issue in latest 0.13 or 0.14?
Speaking for myself and 0.15. No, thank you.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

I also haven't observed this in 0.15

Return to “Pending”