When joining multiplayer public games loading screen gets stuck on "waiting for server to save map" I cant get into game

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
reeshal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

When joining multiplayer public games loading screen gets stuck on "waiting for server to save map" I cant get into game

Post by reeshal »

As of recent I cannot join my friends public games as the loading screen gets stuck on "waiting for server to save map", forever, I'm not asking how to cancel the loading screen (I know how), I'm asking how I can stop this from happening so i can join my mates game.

Notes:

-My friend bought the game recently. (don't know if that has something to do with it)
-He is having the same issue joining me.
-His public game a has a password. (don't know if that has something to do with it)
-This happens with other friends of mine too. (not all of them)
-I'm on the steam version of the game.

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: When joining multiplayer public games loading screen gets stuck on "waiting for server to save map" I cant get into

Post by Hornwitser »

It sounds related to this bug report:
Hornwitser wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:23 pm
[...] For players connected to the server this shows up as a progress bar at 100% saying "Server (<server>) is saving the map for player.", for the player connecting it's a progress bar at 100% saying "Waiting for the server to save the map.". The server remains frozen until the player connecting aborts the connection.
Although this issue is caused by packet loss and wouldn't happen 100% of the time unless there's other factors at play like lots of mods or strange networking problems, so it may be something else. If you provide a packet capture using Wireshark it would be helpful in determining the cause of your issue.

reeshal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: When joining multiplayer public games loading screen gets stuck on "waiting for server to save map" I cant get into

Post by reeshal »

Hornwitser wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:30 am
It sounds related to this bug report:
Hornwitser wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:23 pm
[...] For players connected to the server this shows up as a progress bar at 100% saying "Server (<server>) is saving the map for player.", for the player connecting it's a progress bar at 100% saying "Waiting for the server to save the map.". The server remains frozen until the player connecting aborts the connection.
Although this issue is caused by packet loss and wouldn't happen 100% of the time unless there's other factors at play like lots of mods or strange networking problems, so it may be something else. If you provide a packet capture using Wireshark it would be helpful in determining the cause of your issue.
What is a Wireshark?

Hornwitser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hornwitser »

A tool for capturing packets sent over the network.

reeshal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reeshal »

ok ill figure out how it works and send it

reeshal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reeshal »

| shall send it later today. as i've been busy

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

If you cannot provide the information I requested, there is nothing to go on.

reeshal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reeshal »

I do not knwo how wireshark works what do i do tho?

reeshal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reeshal »

When I try to join my friends game it loads until it says "waiting for server to save map" and doesn't go any further, so cant join the game. It just gets stuck at 100% and wont load me in. My friend has no password or mods and is using the same game version as me. the game is public

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

reeshal wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:50 pm
When I try to join my friends game it loads until it says "waiting for server to save map" and doesn't go any further, so cant join the game. It just gets stuck at 100% and wont load me in. My friend has no password or mods and is using the same game version as me. the game is public
make sure they opened/forwarded ports so you're not going through Steam networking

reeshal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reeshal »

ptx0 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:29 pm
reeshal wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:50 pm
make sure they opened/forwarded ports so you're not going through Steam networking
I see would you give me a gudie on how to do that? Like a link to a video or just telling me what to do? thx

reeshal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reeshal »

It says about the port number and i know how to access the port forwarding settings on my router and his. But its getting a bit confusing as where it says "set external port / internal" what do i put in there and do i need to do it in a certain way?

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

reeshal wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:39 am
It says about the port number and i know how to access the port forwarding settings on my router and his. But its getting a bit confusing as where it says "set external port / internal" what do i put in there and do i need to do it in a certain way?
there's a mention to how some routers need configuration, and a link to click through. but honestly man you can put "how to forward factorio ports" into Google and find out a lot more easily than waiting for me to explain it.

roax206
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by roax206 »

I am also experiencing this problem accessing a professionally hosted server.
I doubt it would be a port forwarding issue. I have heard it can be related to the connection process taking too long to respond (I'm on satellite and have about half a second ping).

Return to “Pending”