[0.15.37] Inserters getting stuck

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
gHoST INFERNO
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.15.37] Inserters getting stuck

Post by gHoST INFERNO »

tl;dr - very seldom, inserters get stuck forever, even though there would be no issue inserting items.

I have a rather large map, with currently about 14k placed inserters (Got this from the production stats, building tab, built minus deconstructed).
Very very occasionally I notice running past an inserter that is stuck for no reason whatsoever.
Here a screenshot of some inserters I found just now.
Look at the two inserters at the bottom on the right:
1) The inserters aren't connected to a circuit network (so i didn't disable them or something)
2) They are supposed to be inserting into active provider chests
3) The chests are empty!
Yet, the inserters stopped moving forever. Also notice how they are kinda in a weird state, in the middle of grabbing stuff.
stuck_inserters.png
stuck_inserters.png (2.27 MiB) Viewed 1957 times
Whenever I find inserters in this state, I usually have to deconstruct them and place them again to fix it. What you actually can't see in this pic that not just the two bottom inserters are stuck, but two others as well, but because I'm sharing the active provider chests you can't really see the others on this screenshot. Also sorry that there is so much activity in this pic, this is an extremely active passageway for items in my system, which is probably also why it happened here.

As said, this wasn't the first time, but so far I didn't bother filing a bug report, hoping it was just a one-off. As you can imagine this is a little unsettling, because random parts of my factory just get paused until I happen to notice it. I tried to find a dup of this bug-report, but didn't find any that seemed to match. Note that while I'm filing this bug tagged for version [0.15.37], I believe this bug has been affecting many minor revisions of 0.15, as I've noticed it a few times over many months.

I'd have a savegame I could share if that's necessary, but it's rather .. big: 120MiB. I'd also have to ask a friend if he's ok sharing it, as we're playing this map in cooperative multiplayer.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.37] Inserters getting stuck

Post by Rseding91 »

Please upload a save file showing the problem.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

2.27MB png :shock:
74% smaller png file thanks to TinyPNG.
611 KB image vs 2.27MB

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Is there an item type limit on inserters?
It seems like in this case, the stack inserters have a lot of different types of items, so if you have that stored somehow with 3 or 4 bits theoretically it would be possible for it to overflow with stack inserter upgrades.
To be honest, I have no idea and I'm just spouting off random nonsense.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

impetus maximus wrote:2.27MB png :shock:
74% smaller png file thanks to TinyPNG.
Heh. imagemagick turns the 2.27MB png into a 55994-byte jpg for a 97.5% size reduction:

Code: Select all

~/Pictures$ convert -quality 20 stuck-inserters.png stuck-inserters.jpg
~/Pictures$ ll stuck*
-rw-r--r-- 1 quyxkh quyxkh   55994 Nov 21 14:50 stuck_inserters.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 quyxkh quyxkh 2378966 Nov 21 14:39 stuck_inserters.png
adding a `-unsharp 20` makes it pop real nice at some size cost.
convert -quality 20 stuck-inserters.png stuck-inserters.jpg
convert -quality 20 stuck-inserters.png stuck-inserters.jpg
stuck_inserters.jpg (54.68 KiB) Viewed 1893 times

Ishimuro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ishimuro »

I run into the same a while ago, it looks like it only happened with laser (at my save) and only if the insterter stack size >1 and only if a laser managed to get to close to the inserter (my save)

added my save, and set a mark at the stucked ones, (may join at my (Stonehouse) base ... i think it was a OARC Scenario)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uv2714qnu5u0jm/bug.zip?dl=0

if u unstuck em by rebuild and remove some stuff at the attached logistic zone (incl laser) it random stuck again...i fixed it by setting the stacksize to 1 at these bp

but i have to say, it worked a long time sometimes, then i notice it by the logistic alert again...looks like the inserter wait for more to grab ... or not able to grab
Attachments
stuck2.PNG
stuck2.PNG (260.62 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
stuck1.PNG
stuck1.PNG (416.74 KiB) Viewed 1811 times

Return to “Pending”