Link logistics on wagons together on the same train

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Link logistics on wagons together on the same train

Post by nuhll »

moved from suggestions to modding interface requests....
TL;DR
Trains and cars can have items added to their grid like roboports to use construction bots and so on... my suggestion is now: make it possible to Link logistics on wagons together on the same train
What ?
Yeah, i would like to suggest to make it possible to link logistics on each wagon together, on the same train. Problem is currently that most stupid ppl like me have to use simple ways to make construction trains like to lock the slots and so on, problem with that is that all trash (e.g. wood, stone) cant get inserted into the train.

Why ?
Because of this the whole train construction is pretty (useless) and not working for many ppls (i believe). Would be a nice addition to the game.

It would be much more logic and user friendly if you could have one empty train as trash.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by nuhll on Fri May 14, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Link logistics on wagons together on the same train

Post by ssilk »

The problem with this suggestion is, that it isn’t specific enough. How should that be done? Link logistics together... it’s not even clear, what logistics means for trains. Did that mean that you can reserve the slots of wagons, or that you can control the inserters with the circuit network from the train stop? Etc. not specific enough...

BTW to give you some alternative ideas (because I think this will not be changed anyways): I used an extra wagon for the trash. Later I changed to having an own trash wagon. Later I changed to Logistic Train Network mod, which solves exactly this problem (but bring in many new ones :) ).

Currently I try to build a base, where I do all the special supplies, like bringing in construction items, transport back trash (wood, stones etc.) by LTN-mod (and some more mods, like ghost scanner) and doing the rest (bulk transport of things) via normal trains. Looks pretty good, because this uses the advantages of both types of “logistics”.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

trains or cars can have items added to them like roboports (to make them able to use construction bots e.g.)

but there is currently no way in factorio to link them together so that mods could use ONE logistric network for multiple enitities (?)

Like currently you have a seperate logistic network per wagon, which is so fail, the only way to use this (and even then its complete BS) would be to read train contents and do the loading this way... (this is too complicated for normal noobs like me) but still you could only load 3/4 of wagon because you need to have space for trash. And if the slots are full of trash the bots idle tryin to unload...

I edited my first post, thought it was obv what i mean, sorry.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

nuhll wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:22 pm
trains or cars can have items added to them like roboports (to make them able to use construction bots e.g.)

but there is currently no way in factorio to link them together so that mods could use ONE logistric network for multiple enitities (?)

Like currently you have a seperate logistic network per wagon,....
Hu? Logistic network for wagon??. are you sure, we’re speaking here from vanilla Factorio? Vanilla has no logistic network for wagons. Which mods are you using?

I assume
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/logistic-cargo-wagon ?

Ask the mod author if he would like to add this feature. :)

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

ssilk wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:12 pm
Ask the mod author if he would like to add this feature. :)
no, https://mods.factorio.com/mod/construction-train is closer

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

im coming from mod authors, logistics is a vanilla feature (mods only enable use to use it) and linked logistics would be needed to be added by devs, the possibilty to have linked logistics is currently not implemented in the factorio engine.
Mernom — 13.05.2021
This is not up to us
eihns — 13.05.2021
(would make sense when it acts as one instead of each wagon)
Mernom — 13.05.2021
The engine doesn't support it
eihns — 13.05.2021
like factorio engine?
Mernom — 13.05.2021
Yes
It's a good idea, to link wagons in the same train to the same logistic network
Make a suggestion for it in the forums
So here we are!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

O.K. Now it makes sense. Hmmm... Would spare some time to mention that earlier... because I need to move it now to modding interface requests. :)

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

nuhll wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:39 pm
im coming from mod authors, logistics is a vanilla feature (mods only enable use to use it) and linked logistics would be needed to be added by devs, the possibilty to have linked logistics is currently not implemented in the factorio engine.
i literally linked to a mod that does exactly what you ask using on_tick scripting - just because there's no native game engine way doesn't mean it is impossible.

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

ptx0 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:35 am
nuhll wrote:
i literally linked to a mod that does exactly what you ask using on_tick scripting - just because there's no native game engine way doesn't mean it is impossible.
Thanks for that mod, but thats not what im asking for.

I guess that on tick thing is very cpu intensive. Thats why a basegame implementation would be usefull. (also for other vehicles)

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

nuhll wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:09 pm
ptx0 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 10:35 am
nuhll wrote:
Thanks for that mod, but thats not what im asking for.

I guess that on tick thing is very cpu intensive. Thats why a basegame implementation would be usefull. (also for other vehicles)
and for that, i asked for linked-wagon prototype :)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97367

Return to “Modding interface requests”