Linked pipes

Coming soon!
Purpzie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Linked pipes

Post by Purpzie »

TL;DR
We've got linked chests and linked belts, so naturally, linked pipes would be a great addition.
What ?
There really isn't much to explain. Its graphic could be the end of an underground pipe. If it's even possible, maybe it could contribute nothing to the length of the pipe (similar to how underground pipes only have a "length" of 2, no matter how far apart).
Why ?
For mods, and also because there isn't a way to transport liquids through linked chests or belts.

I understand that liquids are super finicky, and if that's why this wouldn't be added, that's understandable too. I made this post just in case it was possible.
She/her

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Linked pipes

Post by darkfrei »

Modding interface request: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=94169

Mod (based on control.lua): https://mods.factorio.com/mod/LinkedPipes

Purpzie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Purpzie »

Oh, it's an interface request? Does that mean I shouldn't have made this thread? I did search to check if a suggestion like this already existed, but forgot to make the search include results from that section. I'm quite new to participating on the forum, apologies.

EDIT: I tried to delete this thread but could not find the button to do so. :? Heck.
She/her

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Purpzie wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:05 pm
Oh, it's an interface request? Does that mean I shouldn't have made this thread? I did search to check if a suggestion like this already existed, but forgot to make the search include results from that section. I'm quite new to participating on the forum, apologies.

EDIT: I tried to delete this thread but could not find the button to do so. :? Heck.
No, it’s much easier, you need to say: “please webmaster, move it to ...”
...and it will be moved like magic from suggestions to to modding interface requests... :D
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:08 am
...and it will be moved like magic from suggestions to to modding interface requests... :D
Dear Webmaster: Why did you move it instead of merging the two threads?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Purpzie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Purpzie »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:11 pm
ssilk wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:08 am
Dear Webmaster: Why did you move it instead of merging the two threads?
Yes, I'm curious about that too. It's initially why I was trying to delete this thread, since it's a duplicate.
She/her

PFQNiet
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PFQNiet »

I'd like to +1 this request. My use case will be threefold:

1. De-cheese the flow of fluids through underground pipes by linking it to another surface where the appropriate number of normal pipes are lined up for the fluid to flow through.

2. Allow underground pipes of arbitrary length.

3. Allow weaving of underground pipes.

I know nothing of the game engine code, but for the purpose of fluid flow I imagine it would be identical to how fluid flows between connected underground pipes, but instead of underground_neighbour you have linked_neighbour or something.

raspberrypuppies
Inserter
Inserter

Post by raspberrypuppies »

+1 it would give a good way to bypass Factorio's weird fluid physics. I have over 1000 hours in the game and sometimes the arbitrary behavior and need for hundreds of chained pumps is a little too tedious. It would be cool to link all the assembly machines/pipes *directly* through a script. This would give them infinite bandwidth and let me focus on the parts of the game that I enjoy more.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

Implemented for 1.2.0. Its not implemented as linked pipes but as a linked fluidbox connections which means any fluidbox of any entity will have the ability to be defined as linked and connect to other fluidboxes as long as they also have linked connection and belong to a different entity.

SWeini
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SWeini »

Wow. Now I'm really looking forward to 1.2.0. This will open up so many modding possibilities. Is 1.2.0 coming with the expansion or are you planning to release that some time soon?

micromario
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by micromario »

boskid wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:41 pm
Implemented for 1.2.0. Its not implemented as linked pipes but as a linked fluidbox connections which means any fluidbox of any entity will have the ability to be defined as linked and connect to other fluidboxes as long as they also have linked connection and belong to a different entity.
wow! will definitely add these to the factorissimo fork

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

micromario wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:30 am
wow! will definitely add these to the factorissimo fork
I hope this is a setting you can set/change in the control stage of the game. If it only definable in the data stage then "factorissimo" will need to pre-generate a bunch of linked pipes for it to use.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

It is defined in data stage but then connections are requested in the control stage. Just to make sure there is no confusion here: its not making multiple fluidboxes shared (having single fluid storage), it is just a third type of connection (so there are normal connections, underground connections and linked connections) with a specific logic of finding other entity+fluidbox+connection to which a given linked connection should connect to.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

Awesome addition! With this I'll be able to make Fluidic Power's weird pole mechanics almost completely hidden! And allow diagonal pole connections :P

To make it reliable a on_wire_connection_changed event would still be needed *nudge* *nudge*. Although I do understand it's a complex event to add because it touches so many deep places in the code.
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Any ETA for this feature? Maybe an experimental preview?

Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Therenas »

It'll be released for 1.2, meaning alongside the expansion, for which there isn't an ETA yet.

raspberrypuppies
Inserter
Inserter

Post by raspberrypuppies »

Thank you! Now I have another reason to be excited for the expansion.

Return to “Implemented for 2.0”