Property to shrink an entire icon

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
kirazy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Property to shrink an entire icon

Post by kirazy »

Currently the behavior of the scale function within IconSpecification is slightly unintuitive. If you have a 64 pixel icon, for example, and you want to scale it to 85% of its normal size, setting 0.85 as the scale will 'cause it to "zoom in", instead of shrink. It appears that the icon has a fixed render window in the GUI and on the various entities that icons display on (e.g. assembling machine recipes in alt-view).

Inserting a transparent layer that is 64 px and scale = 1, and then rescaling the other layers to 0.85 to achieve the shrunk look produces some side effects:
- In alt-view, the icon gets larger
- The icon shadow that is generated in the GUI is based on the first layer, and since it's empty, there's no shadow.

Rather than having to make a reduced-size icon for every entity that I would like to shrink, I would greatly appreciate some sort of way to shrink an icon in code relative to it's frame in alt-view and in the GUI.

An icon_scale, as it were.

So that I can make this:
mini-electric-mining-drill-icon-base.png
mini-electric-mining-drill-icon-base.png (12.98 KiB) Viewed 473 times
From this:
electric-mining-drill-icon-base.png
electric-mining-drill-icon-base.png (15.39 KiB) Viewed 473 times
By specifying icon_scale = 0.85, instead of having to make a whole new file for every possible permutation.

Edit: Ideally this could be something set (or not set?) for each IconSpecification within an icons definition. So draw a layer at 0.85 scale, and then a layer over that at 1.0 scale.

Return to “Modding interface requests”