Disable pollution generating chunks

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
Allaizn
Former Staff
Former Staff

Disable pollution generating chunks

Post by Allaizn »

Pollution currently generates chunks in order to spread into them, which increases map size. Pollution clouds for mega bases can get insanely big, and thus make save and load times suffer.
Turning off pollution entirely "fixes" this problem, but I'd like a way to still be able to play with biters & pollution without the forced map size increase, and Bilka gave me the idea to request a lua api toggle to stop pollution generating chunks.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Disable pollution generating chunks

Post by Rseding91 »

I could add this but I think you don't quite understand just how easy the game will get if pollution doesn't generate chunks.

Disabling pollution entirely is about the same as making it not generate chunks when it spreads - which you can already do in the settings.

The map size doesn't increase that much from pollution unless you change the spread parameters which makes it run-away spread everywhere and that's as simple as "don't do that".
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Allaizn
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Allaizn »

It's hard to judge how easy or hard it would be without having the feature. I have however seen multiple maps where I wouldn't agree with your reasoning - mega bases in particular are often built on deserts (in order to not have to clear huge forests) which makes the pollution cloud spread very far. Combine that with (very) high biter settings and it's not making it easy at all.
This api isn't too important for me, so don't force yourself to implement it if it's too bothersome. Thanks for considering it at all :)

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

Could a mod simply disable the generation entirely, generate new chunks only on its own terms (namely player movement) and then calculate the "overflow" pollution to increase biter waves to match what they would otherwise be?

Though if you're going that far, it seems like a better mod UPS wise would be to disable pollution anyways, and have the mod simply send biter waves on its own calculations (using pollution generated, time, etc) rather than relying on pollution spread. Basically simplify the pollution model to avoid the UPS, map size hits.

Return to “Modding interface requests”