Make the crafting queue arrow size adjustable by mods

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
Therenas
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Make the crafting queue arrow size adjustable by mods

Post by Therenas »

Now this request might sound really dumb, but bear with me. I've been having the issue of the crafting queue overlapping with my modded window (Only the crafting queue does this under some circumstances, the other vanilla elements seem to play nice):

Now as the .screen windowing system is explicitly not designed to deal with overlapping windows, so this probably won't be resolved by being able to bring a window to the front or similar. Now the solution that springs to mind is to make the crafting queue physically smaller so it interferes way less. Looking at the styles, I seemed to succeed at first, as the crafting queue buttons have their own style ("crafting_queue_slot"):

However, as you can see, the up-arrow-button to expand the crafting queue is not influenced by this. This is because it uses the pretty general "slot_button" style that a ton of other buttons use. So you can't change that without significant side effects. The solution I propose is to give that button a custom style, that just has "slot_button" as it's parent. This wouldn't change anything for the base game, but allow modders to change it's style.

Again, I'm sorry for this, it's stupid, but I'd really appreciate it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Make the crafting queue arrow size adjustable by mods

Post by eradicator »

I think mods should not mess up vanilla gui elements. Making the crafting icons permanently smaller just because they might occasionally be in the way of a mod window is bad practice and unexpected behavior. If a user is already playing at the smallest gui scale they're comfortable with then your mod shouldn't override this.

As far as i understand you're saying that the quickbar/shortcut bar is "below" your gui which to my knowledge is not something you're allowed to rely on. It's just "random" order as far as i know and might change in a future update without notice.

Maybe if GameViewSettings allowed to temporarily hide the queue while your mod window is active?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Make the crafting queue arrow size adjustable by mods

Post by darkfrei »

Vanilla GUI scaling must be possible with vanilla game options, but not with mods.

Return to “Modding interface requests”