[0.17.52] put_item not always followed by build_item

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
Jelmergu
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.17.52] put_item not always followed by build_item

Post by Jelmergu »

I noticed that a put_item event doesn't fire a build_item event if there is a put_item event in the very next gametick. I noticed while bugfixing my There is my ghost mod.

To reproduce:
- open attached save
- turn on There is my ghost and There is my ghost Blueprint only mode(ctrl+g, ctrl+shift+b by default)
- place an copper pipe on (23,92) and hold
- move between (23,92) and (23,93) quickly while holding the mousebutton
- see the copper UG pipe on (23,93) get brighter because of layered ghosts

Note: The version of There is my ghost that is attached logs the start and end of put_item and build_item including the event parameter of put_item(which shows that there are put items following eachother without build_items)

I realize this might be expected behavior, but it is not documented in put_item, which says that it will be called before a build_item event. This kinda implies that one put_item for every build_item
Attachments
Seablock.zip
(3.22 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
there-is-my-ghost_0.17.7.zip
(53.93 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.52] put_item not always followed by build_item

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. That is correct behavior: put_item will always exist before build_item however build_item does not always follow a put_item. I can change the wording on the event but I don't know if that's even useful. Most events do not have this strict relationship defined in comments because even if a relationship exists there's most likely nothing actually making sure it stays working that way and is probably just "how it worked when the person made that comment".
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Modding interface requests”