Kitchensink

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
Godmave
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Kitchensink

Post by Godmave »

Not modding interface related, but would be a big help for any modder that tries to do UIs in factorio.
A kitchensink is an overview of all available (vanilla) styles, their configurable attributes, and how they look.

Something like this http://code.divshot.com/bootstrap-theme ... -sink.html

Since you are redoing the UI-Styles, now would be the time to create them too. Hell, you even should have them for yourself already :)

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Kitchensink

Post by Zanthra »

I recall this from FFF #243: https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-243 So they are building them internally, but they are probably changing quickly right now too.

Godmave
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Godmave »

That would be the "how they" look part. Still would be no big help for modders since you do not get the type/style you have to use in lua to get them.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

An auto-generated style-reference of all styles would be kinda neat indeed. Doesn't have to be a layout that actually makes sense like the one linked in the FFF.
Godmave wrote:That would be the "how they" look part. Still would be no big help for modders since you do not get the type/style you have to use in lua to get them.
Dunno, your example page looks pretty similar and i don't see any code there. From the FFF page i'd guess the styles are called according to the same naming scheme as current ones, i.e. something like editable_display_style, info_text_style, confirm_button_style, crafting_button_style etc....

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The main problem with this is the same reason we haven't made any automated prototype documentation: There are So. Many. Different. Ways. that each bit of data can be provided for a given style and so many combinations of what it actually does that nobody has been able to make any auto-documentation system work.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Godmave
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Godmave »

@eradicator:
Yea, something like https://getbootstrap.com/docs/4.1/components/alerts/ would be better I guess. The other one only gives a fast overview how things look with that theme providing that you already know how to create stuff.

For starters a list of available types/styles and how they would render if unchanged via lua .style would be sufficient.
Automated creation should not even be needed, since you are not going to change most of the gui after it is done. The right place would be a/the wiki I guess.
But it is some work. I will sleep on it some more and if I can come up with a workable solution come back here.

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

Rseding91 wrote:The main problem with this is the same reason we haven't made any automated prototype documentation: There are So. Many. Different. Ways. that each bit of data can be provided for a given style and so many combinations of what it actually does that nobody has been able to make any auto-documentation system work.
At least, a top 50 of the most common UI-Stuff (Elements, Panels, Buttons, ...) would be VERY nice.

Godmave
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Godmave »

I started a little mod yesterday that I might extend to more stuff and the ability to generate the add{} code to copy/paste.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/kitchensink

But that's inside the game. Some outside reference would be better I guess, for the cases where your own code prevents starting the map :D

Return to “Modding interface requests”