[Meta] Unify naming between data and control stage.

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Meta] Unify naming between data and control stage.

Post by eradicator »

I realize this is a heap of work. So it's more of a wishful thought / querry for implementability.

What?
A number of properties of objects have different names between data and control stage. I.e. what is referenced as Recipe.result or Recipe.results (singular or plural) in data stage is always referenced as Recipe.products (always plural) in control stage. It's be nice if this could be unified to use a single identical term in both stages, i.e. always "products".

Why?
It would greatly help (new) modders to not have to worry about the same thing being named differently depending on when you look at it. It would also add that final touch of polishing to the already very good modding API ;).

Addendum
I'd greatly apprecite if one of the devs could state how realistic this is to ever happen at all. If judged as doable i'm sure the community (including me) can come up with a full list of parameter names.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Meta] Unify naming between data and control stage.

Post by Bilka »

eradicator wrote: I.e. what is referenced as Recipe.result or Recipe.results (singular or plural) in data stage is always referenced as Recipe.products (always plural) in control stage. It's be nice if this could be unified to use a single identical term in both stages, i.e. always "products".
This example doesn't make much sense. Result has an entirely different format compared with results and products. Making it possible to use both formats with just one property is more confusing, not less.

I like the idea in general, but issues might also pop up if things are formatted differently between stages. This will confuse users that will assume that they can use the same formate between stages, because it has the same name, right? One example of that are properties using BoundingBox. In the control phase, you can get left_top and right_bottom specifically. Writing to those specifically is NOT possible in the data phase, the first position in the table is assumed to be left_top, regardsless of whether you wrote right_bottom = in front of it.

Outside of these two concerns, I wouldn't mind having some consistency between phases. Do you prefer using the name of the thing in the data stage instead of the name from the control phase, the other way around, or does it depend on the property?
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

@Bilka:
I feel that the question of the actual data format belongs into a different thread so i'm putting my answer in a spoiler. My main concern here is with the names of the properties, not their content. And before that with the question if this sort of major change is feasible at all. Once those two are done further details can be discussed =).
Wall of Text
Also here's a hopefully less controverse example of the names used for mod settings scopes.

Code: Select all

--scope (data/control)
  startup = {'startup'         , 'startup'} ,
  map     = {'runtime-global'  , 'global' } ,
  player  = {'runtime-per-user', 'player' } ,

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

We aren't likely to change any of the names at this point in development as it would break too many mods compared to the benefit it gave.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Rseding91 wrote:We aren't likely to change any of the names at this point in development as it would break too many mods compared to the benefit it gave.
My thought was that new major versions already break most mods anyway, so some small, hopefully search+replaceable changes wouldn't hurt too much.

Thanks for the answer though =).

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Rseding91 wrote:We aren't likely to change any of the names at this point in development as it would break too many mods compared to the benefit it gave.
you change names of variables between major mod versions all the time, why would this be different from 0.16 to 0.17?

Another one is inserters...
pickup_position = {0, -1},
insert_position = {0, 1.2},
in data vs
pickup_position
drop_position
in control.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

bobingabout wrote:
you change names of variables between major mod versions all the time, why would this be different from 0.16 to 0.17?
No we don't.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Rseding91 wrote:
bobingabout wrote:
No we don't.
Yes you do.
0.16.0 wrote: Changed "on_preplayer_mined_item" to "on_pre_player_mined_item".
Changed LuaEntity::recipe to LuaEntity::get_recipe() and LuaEntity::set_recipe().
Changed the root custom gui containers (top, left, center, goal) to have the corresponding name.
Changed LuaFluidBox fluid from {type="...", amount=...} to {name="...", amount=...}
Changed name of colspan parameter of table to column_count.
Changed LuaItemPrototype::group_filters and sub_gorup_filters to item_group_filters and item_subgroup_filters to match the prototype values.
0.15.0 wrote: Changed less_then to less_than in lua GUI progress bar style specification. (33196)
Changed LuaEntityPrototype::underground_belt_distance to LuaEntityPrototype::max_underground_distance and changed it to work on both underground pipes and underground belts.
0.13.0 wrote: Changed LuaEntity::get_filter/set_filter parameters around to match the inventory versions. They also now only work on inserter filters.
Changed LuaEntity::color to work for locomotives, cargo wagons, and characters - it will return nil if used on other entities.
Renamed some defines (groupstate->group_state, circuitconnector->circuit_connector, circuitconditionindex->circuit_condition_index, trainstate->train_state)
Renamed LuaForce::logistic_robot_storage_modifier -> logistic_robot_storage_bonus to better match what it does
game.local_player has been renamed to game.player and now works through remote calls.
Waste of bytes : P

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

keyboardhack wrote:
Rseding91 wrote: No we don't.
Yes you do.

No, we don't. Near every one of those aside from the group filters one is a bug fix and not "we felt like changing it". From things simply spelled wrong "less_then" -> 'less_than", to features added by changing how the API works to allow multiple parameters "recipe" to "set_recipe", "get_recipe" they weren't changes for change sake.

Also compared to everything else done between major versions those things changed from bug fixes or adding features account for a minuscule percent of the changes because we don't want to break mods just for the sake of "this name might be better" meaning they're not done "all the time".

We did one huge rename change in the past (changed the entire API to use underscores between everything) and are still feeling the ramifications of doing so.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Still, it's Beta, you're allowed to change things.

It's far more forgiving to do this now, than to decide after the 1.0 that you want to change variables.

and, we're not saying "Change it to this, because it's better!" we're saying "You call it this here, but the same variable has a different name there, pick one and use the same name in both places"

I can understand why you might want a difference between Product and Result if they're showing similar information in entirely different structures, but what about my inserter example? insert_position in data, but drop_position in control? they do exactly the same thing, defined exactly the same way, there is no reason why the words should be different, especially when the counterpart pickup_position uses the same name in both.

And yes, this change will actively break at least two of my own mods, I don't mind having to fix this between 0.16 and 0.17 (though I'll probably be swearing out loud while doing it) in the name of consistency, it's worth doing.

I mean... lets look at this change:
Changed LuaEntityPrototype::underground_belt_distance to LuaEntityPrototype::max_underground_distance and changed it to work on both underground pipes and underground belts.
Isn't that pretty much the exact same reasoning we're using here?
I also have a Patreon.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

How about you make a list of the top 10 names that should be unified, and lobby for those.

If most get fixed you can go for more.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Personally, I don't go looking for them, but I shout loudly when I notice them.
The only two I can remember right now is the one on inserters, and result/products on recipes.
I KNOW there are more, but the only one bugging me right now is the one on inserters.
I also have a Patreon.

Trippelbob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Trippelbob »

Hello again :)

Even though it isn't an inconsistency between the data and control phase, this should fit well into the list:

Minium und maximum values of loot items and mining results are named differently. (The latter use the same product table type as recipe results.)
API images

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Yes, now that you mention it, that was another one that bugged me.
I also have a Patreon.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

It would be nice if you can to define prototypes with the same way that in the control:

data.entity["assembling-machine-2"].type = "assembling-machine"

data.item["piercing-rounds-magazine"].type = "ammo"

Return to “Modding interface requests”