New `bonus-equipment` type?

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

New `bonus-equipment` type?

Post by aubergine18 »

Saw this mod just now: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=28434

Made me think, why isn't there a `bonus-equipment` type, which facilitates cumulative addition of one or more modifiers when added to an equipment grid.

List of modifiers that I'm aware of:

Code: Select all

character_crafting_speed_modifier :: double [R]	
character_mining_speed_modifier :: double [R]	
character_running_speed_modifier :: double [R]	
character_build_distance_bonus :: uint [R]	
character_item_drop_distance_bonus :: uint [R]	
character_reach_distance_bonus :: uint [R]	
character_resource_reach_distance_bonus :: uint [R]	
character_item_pickup_distance_bonus :: uint [R]	
character_loot_pickup_distance_bonus :: uint [R]	
quickbar_count_bonus :: uint [R]	
character_inventory_slots_bonus :: uint [R]	
character_logistic_slot_count_bonus :: uint [R]	
character_trash_slot_count_bonus :: uint [R]	
character_maximum_following_robot_count_bonus :: uint [R]	
character_health_bonus :: float [R]
The equipment prototype could contain a table listing one or more modifiers, for example:

Code: Select all

modifiers = {
   { name = "<name>", value = <value> },
}
The values could be +/-, so you could have pros and cons to bonus equipment (similar to modules). For example, you might get longer building reach, at expense of slower movement, or something like that.

It would facilitate all kinds of gadgets that can be added to equipment grids: robotic arms (reach bonus), shielding (health bonus), shock absorbers (mining bonus), etc.

I'm not sure if this sort of thing can be done via existing equipment types (a cursory glance didn't turn up any suitable options), so currently modders are forced to use scripting via events. That's fine, but it gets difficult if you want cumulative items that apply not only together, but also in relation to any other modifiers from research, original character entity, etc. as we don't have full details on what initial values or other buffs are applied (not that I can find anyway).

A bonus equipment type would greatly simplify these sorts of things and enable a plethora of imaginative gadgets to be added to the game via mods.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Danielv123
Inserter
Inserter

Re: New `bonus-equipment` type?

Post by Danielv123 »

fidgetwidget
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fidgetwidget »

+1 to this!

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Me se approve se!

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

In combination with armour classes (which would limit what sort of equipments could be installed in armour) the equipment types could also be used to add role play elements to the game (related discussion).
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Return to “Modding interface requests”