combat soundtrack?

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
jimmyhunter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

combat soundtrack?

Post by jimmyhunter »

hey hello,

i am making a huge mod for the game as of now and it want to have combat music in the game to make the expierence more immersive

https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/AmbientSound

in track type i would want something like combat music
since there will be a emphassis on different enemies in my mod i want nearby enemy interaction to trigger that it will play music,

i do not get how to prototype works interally(if it just works on time and such), but i can imagine if i for instance defeat a group of enemies i do not want to have some "epic music" playing in the background minutes after i defeated the enemies and i am building an assemlby line wich would feel awfull.

i deeply want this to happen

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: combat soundtrack?

Post by ssilk »

Wube originally planned to play music at the “right time” — recognizing some kind of situations and then changing the music according to that event — but in the end they made it about similarly as in Minecraft, where most pieces are just played by random. (Which they did so, because they had the same problem, and because it has more power, see https://theboar.org/2018/01/minecraft-c418-soundtrack/ )

Because it’s hard to say in a freeplay “you are now in this situation, so we need to play this song”. It’s not working like so. It works in many situations correctly, but if it doesn’t and plays the wrong melody it’s just ridiculous. :lol:

So if you plan to make a mod and have control over the situation, you are able to start the correct music, right? No need to build it into vanilla.

Moved to won’t implement, because it never would work as expected.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jimmyhunter
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jimmyhunter »

hey thanks for the fast reply on my post

i deeply appricate it

i get you placed it into wont implement but hear me out further.
i noticed 2 sentences of your comment like if i could make it work somehow:

"So if you plan to make a mod and have control over the situation, you are able to start the correct music, right? No need to build it into vanilla."

start the correct music? how so?, how should i start the correct music at all when i cannot seem to govern the difference of a song "catergory" i.e combat, music, ambient, etc. within the prototype. like i seriously do not get how i should implement it if do not have control over the playing of music at all hence the post.

“you are now in this situation, so we need to play this song”

it is possible to make a code that triggers it to (stop and) start a song. how does it do that should depend on the modders like me. but if there is nothing to regulate the music other than just adding ambient tracks and prototyping them in the first place seems dumb, why:

1 - why have the prototype other than vanilla? why should anyone add music other for shits and giggles or maybe like a mod that just creates a playlist like situation where you play a playlist of song in the mod automaticly wich is weird but applicable still. and that is it

2 - if this will be implemented the way i described modders can be able to simply create more immersive mods than it is at the moment, just because it does not fit in vanilla wich is half true as the problem you described that both factorio and minecraft have for instance seems to me that the current vanilla game just walk around the problem slightly in the sense there is no more depth than the ambient soundtrack really.

3 - i talk for my own at the moment but other modders benefit from this too, i dead simply want a jawdropping soundtrack that people will remember factorio for and my mod also wich otherwise wouldn't as much.

4 - a game so well made should have slightly more emphisis on the soundtrack comparatively to the rest of the aspects of game

thanks for hearing me out.
the best.
greetings,
jimmy

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

jimmyhunter wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:12 pm
start the correct music? how so?, how should i start the correct music at all when i cannot seem to govern the difference of a song "catergory" i.e combat, music, ambient, etc. within the prototype. like i seriously do not get how i should implement it if do not have control over the playing of music at all hence the post.
Hm, well, I’m really not sure how this works, but AFAIK a mod can play a piece of music, that was defined in the prototypes.
I’m sure you will be helped much better than me in the mod-discussion board. :)

it is possible to make a code that triggers it to (stop and) start a song. how does it do that should depend on the modders like me.
Already tried to answer it. All said without warranty, I’m really not longer an expert in that, again goto modding help board viewforum.php?f=25

Or look into other mods that do something with music: https://mods.factorio.com/query/Music?version=1.1

1 - why have the prototype other than vanilla? why should anyone add music other for shits and giggles or maybe like a mod that just creates a playlist like situation where you play a playlist of song in the mod automaticly wich is weird but applicable still. and that is it
Not sure what you mean…
2 - if this will be implemented the way i described modders can be able to simply create more immersive mods than it is at the moment, just because it does not fit in vanilla wich is half true as the problem you described that both factorio and minecraft have for instance seems to me that the current vanilla game just walk around the problem slightly in the sense there is no more depth than the ambient soundtrack really.
More immersive: I doubt that. Again: you can only guess what really happens. If you guess wrong and play the wrong music, it will “less immersive “ :)

4 - a game so well made should have slightly more emphisis on the soundtrack comparatively to the rest of the aspects of game
A counter argument for your idea. :) the best soundtrack must be the original track.
Of course.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Moved to modding interface requests since that was the original intention, at least as far as I remember the conversation on discord. The counter arguments given don't really apply here, so I am also keeping this out of won't implement until a programmer says that this isn't feasible as a mod feature.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Donion »

We discussed something similar a while ago and it came down to the problem of defining what is considered combat. Basically what ssilk said, the last thing we want is to play some epic combat music when there's a single biter nibbling on a wall somewhere.
So it's a no for automatic combat music.

You could use something like LuaSurface::play_sound() to play a specific track at a specific moment but that would interfere with the base game music player.

After I thought about it a little more, what we could possibly do is to expose controls of the music player so a mod could stop and play specific tracks/track type. Then we could define additional music track types that aren't used in the base game but could be used by mods. But there still wouldn't be any automatic track type selection.

Haless
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Haless »

I know this post is a bit dead, but why not be able to put combat music? Dune 2 did this on ms-dos era, why factorio engine cant do the same?

Return to “Modding interface requests”