Request for sound in scenarios

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
ever_Lord
Inserter
Inserter

Request for sound in scenarios

Post by ever_Lord »

TL;DR
We would like to play a custom sound in a scenario.

Why ?
It's about Biter Battles Championships (bbchampions.org) where we use the Biter Battles scenario in which we are adding features.
And it would be nice to be able to play some custom sounds (like "welcome" or "Fight!")
What ?
As far as I know, it is not possible unless using a mod, but for now we prefer to stick to only scenario (so people don't have to restart their factorio to load mods).

Is there any way to do that, or is there any chance this functionality will be added to the game?

(we already can do that for images : player.gui.center.add{name = "logo_png", type = "sprite", sprite = "file/png/logo_100.png"})

Thanks!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Request for sound in scenarios

Post by ssilk »

Scenarios are generally just mods from the devs. So they can just be extended as you want. I'm not 100% sure, but it should be allowed to change that for free, at least for your own usage I'm sure it's allowed to add such sounds to the mod yourself.

I would simply ask support@factorio.com, to make that you can release your changes as "own mod".

So I move this to implemented.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ever_Lord
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ever_Lord »

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you said (me french xd)

Please be more explicit if you have a solution because afaik I can't play a custom sound in scenario (ie. not in a mod).
I asked on factorio discord and it was confirmed it is not possible (again in scenario).

Can you help me, please?

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

ssilk wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:30 pm
Scenarios are generally just mods from the devs …
So I move this to implemented.
Based on the Wiki, there are some important differences between mods and scenarios: a scenario can be part of a mod, but it can also be used without a mod.
According to https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/Lua ... play_sound & https://lua-api.factorio.com/next/Conce ... #SoundPath there is no way to play a custom sound if you are only using a scenario (this would be the case in a vanilla multiplayer scenario, e.g. comfy, redmew &c.), so I would not put this in implemented.

I think it belongs in Modding interface requests.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

NotRexButCaesar wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:17 pm
I think it belongs in Modding interface requests.
Exactly. Moved from suggestions to modding interface requests. I'm not 100% sure, if that's really an issue or already working and I just don't know how. Sorry.
And sorry for not checking this out earlier. But I learn every day new things of Factorio. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Modding interface requests”