signal sorting/order property

Place to ask discuss and request the modding support of Factorio. Don't request mods here.
ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

signal sorting/order property

Post by ownlyme »

it would be nice if somewhere (in the prototype, or in the control) you could set an order string for a signal, if it has such a string, simply put it in the front or at the end, and sort it with other signals that also have an order string.
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: signal sorting/order property

Post by Rseding91 »

It already works that way :) They're sorted by the order string and then the name.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

nope, they are sorted by value
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The display is sorted by value. The order you see the signals in something like the "select a signal" GUI is by the order property.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

i guess my request was a bit vague.
i was hoping you could add a property to sort the signals on combinators and power poles.
this would be very useful if you have signals that get updated very quickly and jump between high and low/zero values.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Or at least change the display to only sort signals once every few seconds. I often have signals where two values are nearly equal and swap position every frame. Imposible to see what's going on.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Or simply add an interface option "don't sort signals by value" so they're always in order-string order. Player interface already has an option to disable auto-sort so it wouldn't be a totally new thing.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

A slightly different thing but I'm assuming it's using the same sorting code:

When you hover over a logistic chest the logist items display on the right sorts the same way. Although there is less changes there with the list being far longer items can jump around larger distances. Can make it hard to find something if it constantly escapes where you are looking.

Maybe only sort the signals / items when you start displaying them and keep them in that order.

It would also be nice if the signals/items could scroll when the list is longer than the screen.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

mrvn wrote:A slightly different thing but I'm assuming it's using the same sorting code:

When you hover over a logistic chest the logist items display on the right sorts the same way. Although there is less changes there with the list being far longer items can jump around larger distances. Can make it hard to find something if it constantly escapes where you are looking.

Maybe only sort the signals / items when you start displaying them and keep them in that order.

It would also be nice if the signals/items could scroll when the list is longer than the screen.
You can use "L" to open the logistics GUI if you want to see that information.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

at least group them by type: virtual, fluid, item.
or: they all have an index, why not use that (at least on the combinator itself)

this is a huge deal without any real workarounds.
hotfix pls...

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

From a player-standpoint the "don't resort them while the thing is selected" approach sounds ok. It's only a minor change compared to current behavior and solves the problem of oscillating values.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

IngoKnieto
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by IngoKnieto »

eradicator wrote:Or simply add an interface option "don't sort signals by value" so they're always in order-string order. Player interface already has an option to disable auto-sort so it wouldn't be a totally new thing.
+1 for this option ;)

Return to “Modding interface requests”