""Factorio 2""

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
McDuff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

""Factorio 2""

Post by McDuff »

Now that Factorio has hit the 1.0 stage, what are things that you might want to see either in a "Factorio 2" new game or a new direction from the dev team?

The obvious next level for Factorio would be a 3D jump. But rather than the "Satisfactory" full 3D direction, I would like to see a "cube grid" style design system - StationFlow has a cool kind of design aesthetic that would work in a 3D factory sending items up lifts, down slanted belts etc.

However if they don't want to do another Factory Simulator, I would like to see if they could turn their ideas towards something economicsy. There aren't that many decent trade and economy simulators out there, I'd love to see what they could do with the idea.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: ""Factorio 2""

Post by valneq »

What are you talking about? Factorio is purrfect. No need to change anything ever again. Or play any other game for that matter.
:roll:

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

Less obvious then yo would think. Realize Factorio is just a (the) base mod running in a very optimized custom 2D engine. The engine could run other (base) mods aswel, but besides optional improving of Factorio there are no official announcement about future plans of Wube.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Everytime i see a new production game i imagine how it would look with the Factorio engine.

Examples:
- Big Pharma - produce medicine instead of rocket parts
- Shapez.io - produce colored forms, maybe needs an one lane only option for belts
- Automachef - ... foods ...

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Cannot be done as mods:

Temperature for items
Advanced electric system
Gases are not same as liquids

SixStringNinja
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Factorio 2 Ideas!

Post by SixStringNinja »

Same planet but 1,000,000 years in the future. The biters have evolved into an intelligent species. They become technologically advanced and politics does what it does best. You play an Anarchist who discovers the relics left behind by our engineer and attempt to reverse engineer it before your government arrives to claim it as their own.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Factorio 2 Ideas!

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to off topic. This is Factorio forum, not Factorio 2 (at least not yet).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Catari64
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Catari64 »

Here's a reply I did from another similar thread.

it's most likely that factorio won't get a sequel partly because there is no adjective better than perfect, which means they will offend their community if they release anything that is not 50 times better than half life 3, and partly because Wube is not the usual AAA game compony.

so they probably will be releasing some other games now factorio is refined and fully optimized but they will be guaranteed to be great and/or cocaine.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Factorio v2

Post by blazespinnaker »

Am I the only person hoping they've already started on factorio v2?

Here are some things I'd like to see -

- Smarter biters (a big brain biter that does surgical attacks on your infra that you have to outsmart to defend your bases
- An infinite science on communicating with biters which allows you eventually make peace with them as long as you stop polluting. (Say, after 64 rocket launches. Setting which allows you to decrease this, of course.)
- A polluting robotic force from your home system that invades and starts attacking the biters, but since you've come to peace with the aliens, you help defend them.
- The robotic force is extremely intelligent, builds its own bases using technology similar to what you have
- World building type technology which let's you start managing the world on a global scale.
- finite global resources. solar system / galaxy exploration so you start colonizing planets.
- meta assembler, see below

The one thing I hope they never do, which I think would ruin factorio - glitzy, poor performing features. The beauty of factorio will always be the scale and mass performance capability.

That said, I think some type of meta production capability will make sense eventually to allow for greater scale. Ie, if a base produces a certain amount over a period of time, then as long as the proper material input occurs at at a minimal rate, the computer can just assume it will be processed according to a historical average and provide historical outputs.

Once proven, you'd then be able to start blueprinting bases as individual base units. Kind of like a giant, meta assembler. But it'd take some minimum time of production (say 1 hour) that you have to prove out it's production capability. Inputs to your giant meta assembler would be trains / belts / pipes / etc.

But heavy graphics or animations that cut down on performance or slow down feature development - lord no, please.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Catari64 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:46 pm
Here's a reply I did from another similar thread.

it's most likely that factorio won't get a sequel partly because there is no adjective better than perfect, which means they will offend their community if they release anything that is not 50 times better than half life 3, and partly because Wube is not the usual AAA game compony.

so they probably will be releasing some other games now factorio is refined and fully optimized but they will be guaranteed to be great and/or cocaine.
I disagree. Civ has done a pretty good job of coming out with sequels, and they are sort of similar to factorio. They've made huge bank, and while I disagree sometimes with the direction they've gone (glitzy graphics / animations), it's clear they've added some pretty cool stuff.

Plus, features don't come for free.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

McDuff wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:01 pm
The obvious next level for Factorio would be a 3D jump.
Oh good lord. If anything, they should go reverse. Fewer graphics / animations.

Exactly what about factorio and its game play makes you think people care about graphics over mechanics?

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Maybe they'll take the EA sports franchise path:

Factorio '21
Factorio '22
Factorio '23

And each release is just the same game with a few items reskinned. :lol:

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

blazespinnaker wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:55 am
Am I the only person hoping they've already started on factorio v2?
Actually I'm not looking forward that. I think there is still room for improvement/finishing touches on the current Factorio (without significant feature creep).
blazespinnaker wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:19 am
McDuff wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:01 pm
The obvious next level for Factorio would be a 3D jump.
Oh good lord. If anything, they should go reverse. Fewer graphics / animations.

Exactly what about factorio and its game play makes you think people care about graphics over mechanics?
A 3D engine, even for iso-2D gameplay, could be a significant improvement : let the GPU handle the graphics, the shadows, the perspective, without having to do everything by hand. 3D does not mandatorily mean first or third person view.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

idgod
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by idgod »

I would like to see underground processing. Like having big mines for ores underground.
-You need robotic mining drills which will proceed into the soil further and further.
-You need sonic detectors to find your resources underground and where the robots will mine.
-You need water on the miners to cool them and wash out resources.
-You need ventilation.
-You need underground belts to move the soil with hidden resources.
-You may need underground trains with underground trainstops in the mines. And transitions between the layers.

So I don't see a "3D" conversion, but having a "2.5D" addition. So just further "layers" over the normal map. There could also be an upper layer for a cloud city or space evelation. Changing the layer with "PgUp" dn "PgDn".

Also possible to go "3D" is like in Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2.
206135571.jpg
206135571.jpg (95.88 KiB) Viewed 10747 times
So there are heights and for underground mining this could be nice, because one kind of entry would be from the top and another possibility would be to go from the side into the ground.

A nice addition (just as a patch) would be to be able to rotate the view in 90° steps. This would work if every entity was rotatable by 90°.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Oh man yikes. I really hope not :(

I'd rather see investment in story, scale and mechanics.

Games are much better when they leave certain details up to the imagination and fill in the parts that are new and fresh.

Roblox is a perfect example of this. I know kids that mastered and got sick of CoD / etc and moved to roblox / minecraft / terraria, which has amateur graphics, relatively speaking.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

No, I don't think anything like what others suggested, except maybe blazespinnaker. IMO they will improve the modding API to a degree, where it will be really easy to implement new ideas (not more of the same, like faster assemblers). Maybe even introducing new hidden entities, not used in the vanilla game (the new connected inventory is an indicator imo). For me that would be the logical next step, as the modding api is a multiplier. Meaning, enabling the and providing to the modders rewards them and the players multiple times compared to doing everything themselves. Factorios modding community is vast and looking for new things it can do with factorio. That is not to underestimate.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

There is riftbraker which is 3D raytraced Factorio full of features, action and new technologyies.
https://youtu.be/pn-6W7p1ERY?t=1075

I think wube can reuse their engine, add some more to make it a 2,5D by adding 3D models of players, cars, creatures. Similar style (2,5D) used for example Pilars of Ethernity. Then make another type of game, RTS, dungeon crowler, or a somethin completely different. Make a factorio 2 right now, cant work. People will compare and slide into old is better mood.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Fluid system fix! The problems with the fluid system are very apparent: having some sort of pressure system would be an incredible change.

Electric network diversification. Adding a more interesting electric network with different voltages or some sort of limit on power draw could be very fun and interesting to work with.

I’d like to see a more performant multiplayer, one that allows a server to do simulation for the client.

I’d like to see a more 3d ish game. Not one that lets you build in 3 dimensions, but one that solves the issue of train tunnels.

I would love a unification of the deconstruction and upgrade planner. Allowing us to put things on only one side (like modules) would be very useful to add or remove them. Putting things like assemblers on one side would let you deconstruct them on the left or place a grid of them on the right.

Separate each/anything/everything for red and green wires in combinators.

Blueprinting vehicles and allowing them to go to sleep if they have no fuel.

Some solution to the robot queue problem.

Assignment of trains to schedules in the trains menu rather than giving schedules to trains.

Something more meaningful after the rocket. Maybe let the rocket unlock new features or have satellites be used in some way. There should still be infinite researches for the endgame.

And yes, smarter biters could be nice.

Maybe I’ll add more later.
Last edited by NotRexButCaesar on Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

blazespinnaker wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:29 am
Roblox is a perfect example of this. I know kids that mastered and got sick of CoD / etc and moved to roblox / minecraft / terraria, which has amateur graphics, relatively speaking.
No one has yet mastered factorio.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

gGeorg wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:29 am
There is riftbraker which is 3D raytraced Factorio full of features, action and new technologyies.
https://youtu.be/pn-6W7p1ERY?t=1075
Riftbreaker really isn't much like Factorio at all. I played an alpha version. At its root it's a tower defence game, slightly more elaborate than most. At best you might compare it to Mindustry.

As for the suggestions earlier in the thread that nobody cares what Factorio's graphics looks like, it's not even worth discussing.

Return to “Off topic”