Games Like Factorio

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Games Like Factorio

Post by kinnom »

steinio wrote: If only all these developers stick together and produce the one perfect game :)
you mean this game called "Factorio"?
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

kinnom wrote:
steinio wrote: If only all these developers stick together and produce the one perfect game :)
you mean this game called "Factorio"?
You found it!
Thank s for the hint :D

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Made one for a two-week gamejam.

https://drury.itch.io/grand-stratospheric

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

Another in the vein of somewhere between Factorio and Big Pharma is factoryidle.com

And from the look of things it's all about optimizing your layouts then waiting for it to pay off.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Another Czech developer is working on a Transport Tycoon-inspired game, except with Factorio-style resource-based gameplay rather than the usual money/economy-based that is so typical for the genre. So it's like, deliver logs to a sawmill to get lumber, use lumber to build wood bridges and various other structures. Deliver fuel to power plants for electricity that powers electric engines, etc.

http://www.mashinky.com/

Not to mention it looks next-gen as hell.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

The Phoenixian wrote:Another in the vein of somewhere between Factorio and Big Pharma is factoryidle.com

And from the look of things it's all about optimizing your layouts then waiting for it to pay off.
This is actually quite a fun and engaging "Factorio Lite" type game. Far more limiting both in what you can make and where you can make it, but I'm so far digging the limits. It's like any idle game, best played in short spurts and then returned to so you can find out how much you made in the intervening time.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

5thHorseman wrote:
The Phoenixian wrote:Another in the vein of somewhere between Factorio and Big Pharma is factoryidle.com

This is actually quite a fun and engaging "Factorio Lite" type game. Far more limiting both in what you can make and where you can make it, but I'm so far digging the limits. It's like any idle game, best played in short spurts and then returned to so you can find out how much you made in the intervening time.
Its a1:1 Factorio ripoff- and a bad one.
No wonder. Steam is what it is...

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

brunzenstein wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:

Its a1:1 Factorio ripoff- and a bad one.
No wonder. Steam is what it is...
Are we talking about the same thing? Factoryidle is a Flash game. Or HTML5 or something. It's not on Steam. And it's as similar to Factorio as every FPS in the past 20 years is to Quake so meh. If it's fun I'll play it.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

daniel34 wrote:
kim_101 wrote:hello everyone,
inspired by Factorio and other similar gmaes,available now on steam greenlight.
anyone interested,search greenlight for Factory Engineer
Let's say heavily inspired by Factorio (and Big Pharma). I like how more than half of the comments on the greenlight page compare it to Factorio.
Screenshots
That's the Factorio ripoff I meant
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =724996285

kim_101
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kim_101 »

brunzenstein wrote:
daniel34 wrote:
Let's say heavily inspired by Factorio (and Big Pharma). I like how more than half of the comments on the greenlight page compare it to Factorio.
Screenshots
this game depends on making money in order to grow your factory,with several different machines which not exist in factorio,different researching mechanics,and a lot more
Ripoff is when you clone the game,but in this case, the game shares some similarities and a lot of differences,is any platformer a super Mario ripoff,is any FPS a doom ripoff,is any smartphone an iPhone ripoff?

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

kim_101 wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:
daniel34 wrote:
Screenshots
this game depends on making money in order to grow your factory,with several different machines which not exist in factorio,different researching mechanics,and a lot more
Ripoff is when you clone the game,but in this case, the game shares some similarities and a lot of differences,is any platformer a super Mario ripoff,is any FPS a doom ripoff,is any smartphone an iPhone ripoff?
This is different to the true examples you mentioned- it's basically a Factorio carbon copy

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

kim_101 wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:
daniel34 wrote:
Screenshots
I didn't mean heavily inspired in a bad sense, not too much anyway. Your game is a mix between Factorio and Big Pharma (which I considered buying in the past) and if done correctly could be an interesting game. There are some notable differences which I think make the game easier to understand, but then again it's probably targeted at a more casual audience than Factorio.

In Factorio you are crashlanded on a planet and try to make contact / escape, in Factory Engineer you are building a factory to make more money. Instead of mining resources you import/buy them, machines are also bought with money and have an operational cost. The goal is to sell the stuff (toys) you make to get more money to build a better factory. Not sure how research works but I believe every item has a certain research value that adds to the overall research value when you import/export them?

It lacks a lot of features that Factorio has (the whole RTS/enemy/weapons/battle experience, cars, trains, logistic and construction system, circuit network, fluid processing, ...) but I think the target audience are more casual players who don't need all these features. Given the basic premise some of them don't even make sense. Why would you need to battle alien enemies or be able to build trains when all you want to do is build a factory to make money on a civilised planet?
After the success of Factorio it isn't unexpected to see other games similar to Factorio being made and from the screenshots and video yours doesn't look that bad.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

kim_101
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kim_101 »

daniel34 wrote: It lacks a lot of features that Factorio has (the whole RTS/enemy/weapons/battle experience, cars, trains, logistic and construction system, circuit network, fluid processing, ...) but I think the target audience are more casual players who don't need all these features. Given the basic premise some of them don't even make sense. Why would you need to battle alien enemies or be able to build trains when all you want to do is build a factory to make money on a civilised planet?
yes it lacks the whole RTS/enemy/weapons/battle experience, cars, trains.
but it has a logistic system such as global inventory which makes the player able to store crafted items made in assembly room to use it in another one, and also has local containers,it has teleportation system which not exist in factorio,and there is more plans for it.it is just the beginning.
there is also ambitious plan to make the player able to build many factories around the globe and transfer items through land,air or sea.

And i really love factorio so much,this game is one of the fewest game that i won't forget for the rest of my life :)

joseailton
Inserter
Inserter

Post by joseailton »

Krafteers for mobile, a survival game. Lemme know what you think of it. ;)

eloy2030
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by eloy2030 »

this has been mentioned in a few other threads, but surprinsingly not here...

infinifactory

http://store.steampowered.com/app/300570/

its very good!

edit: i did another search and i did find it here... well, anyway, it's good.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Metro_(video_game)
http://dinopoloclub.com/minimetro/

MiniMetro

Kill Screen editor, Ethan Gach commended the game for its simplicity and elegance, having combined interactive aesthetics with a robust simulation.

fpe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by fpe »

Just announced, hitting Early Access in October, from the creator of SpaceChem, Infinifactory and TIS-100:
http://www.zachtronics.com/shenzhen-io/

Looks like the right thing if the Circuit Network is your favorite part of Factorio... :D

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

So because there was some confusion earlier, (but also because optimization is very fun and I want to show off my results) I'd like to a longer writeup and give some screenshots for Factory Idle.

So at first you get a setup that's somewhere between Factorio and Big Pharma: A top down view with a list of items you can build and production chains to lay down. Every production chain ends in either gaining research points, or sale for money.

I've said before that Factory Idle is Optimization: The Game as much as Factorio itself is. But in truth it might be said that it significantly exceeds it in that regard.

Part of this is simply that Factory Idle has limited space --- you can purchase more of course, if for an exponentially growing expense--- but there's far more to it.

After the initial stage, every part of the production chain costs money to run, quite a bit of it in fact. You need money to make money and you need money to fund the research that nets you more valuable products. At any given point your best selling product will cost on the order of 20-40% of it's sale price to make. So on top of space efficiency it's best to make sure that nothing is wasted.

With some exceptions, each new part of the production chain has a value roughly an order of magnitude greater than the stage before it and a likewise expanded running cost, which means you need to experiment with new systems every time you hit the next stage of research. And while the size of your factory does grow, so too do the length and complexity of the production chains. On the bright side, all the hard work and effort you've done before to optimize a given production chain will come in handy later when it becomes and ingredient of the next best product.

But there's one more factor that gives the game such a strong focus on optimization. The upgrade system.

While some upgrades simply reduce running costs or increase sales price by 5-10%, most drastically change the makeup of the factory, increasing production rates by 100%, half again, or occasionally quadrupling them. As this changes both production cost, rate, and (usually) resource requirements, it almost always changes what the best layout is. A 1:1 ratio between production and consumption in two different buildings can become a 2:1 ratio, or even a 2:3 ratio. Even when ratios remain the same, layouts can change simply due to hitting the game's maximum belt capacity.

In practice, this means that any major upgrade will come with an attendant reoptimization, followed by a several hour or day period waiting for either your coffers to fill or your research to accumulate so you can plan for and initiate the next big change.

And trust me, desperately reorganizing and compacting everything so you can fit that 13th engine factory into the midst of your buildings can be very, very fun.

[Behold the engine factory, the perfect order of its eastern buildings providing a counterpart the the compacted chaos of the west.]

So there you have it, Exercises in Optimization: the idle game.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

cid0rz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by cid0rz »

fpe wrote:Just announced, hitting Early Access in October, from the creator of SpaceChem, Infinifactory and TIS-100:
http://www.zachtronics.com/shenzhen-io/

Looks like the right thing if the Circuit Network is your favorite part of Factorio... :D
I'm completely addicted to it atm, in fact I have some robots line w8ting for me to finish it xDD I recommend it if you like signals but also coding ensambler like. I think it is very didactical but is more puzzle than factorio. I consider factorio much better since you have a lot of games in one game AND you have multiplayer. It is true though that Shenzen is not a classic puzzle game since the solution is not unique and this makes a huge difference. I knew most of the games listed here i think most of factorio lovers would love many titles listed here like open ttd. I think many of as though would also like games that have nothing to do with factorio like Portal or kerbal space program, well in KSP you made rockets as well but for me is different kind of game

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Factory Floor by Klonan: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=33120

It's basically Factory Idle done in Factorio.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

Return to “Off topic”