I've been looking for the next Factorio or Kerbal

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

I've been looking for the next Factorio or Kerbal

Post by Mauslag PIngman »

I've got a lot of hours on this game. Hours, not mastery, but I'm a little tired of it after 1700 hours. I tried to give fortresscraft another go and have no idea how to begin and am pretty annoyed with that game. I fiddled around with Railway Empire and don't see what I'm even supposed to do to get satisfaction. Satisfaction usually flows from the game automatically if its any good. I build things in RE and I get nothing.

Here's my path through satisfying games over the years. Thief 2, Deus Ex, System Shock, RRtycoons, RC tycoon, Syphon Filter, Age of Empires 2, Shogun, GTA series, Sins of Solar Empire, Galactic Civilizations 2, Terraria, Kerbal, Factorio, ? Is there another game out that I can get into right now that's exploring some new genre. I had no idea I was interested in crafting and automation when I started Factorio, but I really like finding what causes a shortage and fixing it. I like trying to improve things, especially when there isn't a lot of real bending involved.

There have been a lot of other good games, but a lot of them don't keep me engrossed for many hours. A lot of them are too much like work. I like the relaxation part of it too. I don't know about you, but I can fire up Factorio and just look at all my stuff operating and have a pretty good experience sometimes. I've got Prison Architect installed again, but I never understand what's going on in that game.

Some time ago I heard about some other transport type game that isn't that great graphically. That sounded promising. I think it might even be free. I've already done Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Its not that.

I wanted a train mission. Trains and signals are the thing I have a little grasp of. I want missions that make me build trains. I'm tired of fighting biters with the leapfrog method. The other methods seem wasteful of materials and not even as fast as leapfrog lazerturret.

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: I've been looking for the next Factorio or Kerbal

Post by fishycat »

next Factorio can only be Factorio 2 :D

But also in my top 5 is Dwarf Fortress. If you've never played it before check out some vids, grab the Lazy Newb Pack and try it out.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Check out the Anno series (unless you just forgot to list it), 1404 and 2070 are great, skip 2205.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Pretty sweet list. Genres I don't see well represented there:

Tactics/light strategy: Master of Orion 1 is nearly chess it's so pure.

For puzzles, Hexcells Infinite or any of the Zachtronics games, or if just mindbending isn't enough Stephen's Sausage Roll will splatter it like it hit a concrete wall.

Firewatch is imo worth playing just to see what they did there. Story well told, it sneaks up on you.

Flight combat: I don't see anything like Freespace 2 (get the open-source mod) on your list, that's afaik still nonpareil for space combat. IL-42 Sturmovik for air combat missions.

All of those are so well executed just contemplating how they're built might qualify as a good time.

I have to second the DF recommendation. Embrace the UI pain, become one with the UI pain, live in it. http://dfstories.com/the-fable-of-catten-and-the-eagle/

Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mauslag PIngman »

Tried Hexells once and to me its just work. I have Opus Magnum, which I think is Zachtronics and its an excellent and beautiful game but as it gets harder I lose interest.

Dwarf Fortress is something I looked at once and it would take some work to get into that. I use the easier games to get educated enough to try something like DF.

I've played about 1000 hours of Il Sturmovik. I just forgot to mention it. Great game. Played it to death. I probably should get Stalingrad or something. Missions in the original game bored the heck out of me. I used the instant combat or whatever its called.

Simutrans is something I've heard of. Its supposed to be the ultimate in transport games and its free. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/two-free- ... tor-games/

It looks, uh, complicated but primitive. I'm sure its a lot of fun for some people just like for some people mastering the violin is fun.

I tried Space Engineers again and again it disappointed. Its one of those games that expects you to learn by watching videos by amateurs on youtube. I ran around on that asteroid that my landing base is attached to. Some kind of artificial gravity is in effect, but in real life we don't have that. How odd to run along on this tiny asteroid and feel the gravity pulling me towards the center when I go over the horizon a little. Then I suddenly fall off at one particular spot that isn't even marked or roped off and I engage some sort of phoney baloney jet pack. Kerbal did it so much better. Looks like there's a lot here in Space Engineers, but you have to be devoted and patient.

I tried a new world on Factorio with biters turned on. They're repeatedly attacking now. I find it depressing. I may just be a biters off kind of guy.
Its about 2 hours later and I figured out how to fight the biters with a flame thrower and using the cliffs and ground fires to defend. This is a much better game than I thought and I already thought Factorio is the best.

Still haven't found the fun in Prison Architect. I know Introversion is great but this thing.... I don't know.
Last edited by Mauslag PIngman on Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

BTW Anno 1602 is for free currently: https://register.ubisoft.com/anno-1602-giveaway/en-GB

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

mashinky is a nice train game.
Its basically a railworld factorio with the production itself simplified
with intermediate production, track optimisation and more

the signaling is the same like in factorio

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

If you like building a rail network, you can try OpenTTD. It's free and has entertained me for many hours.

Return to “Off topic”