multicore

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
mmppolton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

multicore

Post by mmppolton »

"For games? Either platform, with the NEW RyZen CPUs or the Coffee Lake Intels. The issue will be the video card. Game makers have said though that they're starting to code more for multi-threading as different games get reviewed and complained about by many reviewers. So that really is the thing. The better Intel Coffee Lake CPUs will do well and the better RyZen CPUs will do well, along with both platforms. Either will take advantage of multithreaded games since Intel FINALLY got the message about cores, and the RyZen, even though it has a slower core clock, runs ANY well programed game smoothly, because NO ONE is going to see the difference between 125 or 140 frames per second. The games that don't even give 70 fps on either platform? Skip them until that game company can figure out how to write code. The future is multithreading for apps and games, and both platforms are set up for it, with the edge going to AMD in that area."
what is people option on this i saw one person say who say to skip game that are not multicore

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: multicore

Post by Jap2.0 »

Factorio makes some, but relatively little, use of multiple cores. The design of the game means that it is very difficult to utilize multiple cores, so that will probably not happen to a large extent. Factorio is optimized very well already (and will be even more so with future updates), so that's not something you have to worry about much. I just opened up a new game and my computer (which is fairly old) could run it easily at 5-6x normal speed.

Some games, yes, should be using more cores, but I don't think that's really needed in Factorio.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

mmppolton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mmppolton »

Jap2.0 wrote:Factorio makes some, but relatively little, use of multiple cores. The design of the game means that it is very difficult to utilize multiple cores, so that will probably not happen to a large extent. Factorio is optimized very well already (and will be even more so with future updates), so that's not something you have to worry about much. I just opened up a new game and my computer (which is fairly old) could run it easily at 5-6x normal speed.

Some games, yes, should be using more cores, but I don't think that's really needed in Factorio.
i am taking about mega base some say if fps drop and not muti thread then not a good game

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

mmppolton wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:Factorio makes some, but relatively little, use of multiple cores. The design of the game means that it is very difficult to utilize multiple cores, so that will probably not happen to a large extent. Factorio is optimized very well already (and will be even more so with future updates), so that's not something you have to worry about much. I just opened up a new game and my computer (which is fairly old) could run it easily at 5-6x normal speed.

i am taking about mega base some say if fps drop and not muti thread then not a good game
If you build large enough, it's inevitable that your fps and ups will drop, multithreaded or not. The reason many games do not have fps drops is because they limit what you can do - in many, you can build little or nothing, and in the few where you can, there are nearly always limits - and you'll see that games where you can build with very few restrictions have compromises on the detail of the simulation or fps drops.

mmppolton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mmppolton »

still what most people want is to see all 4 core max out in the game or more

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

mmppolton wrote:still what most people want is to see all 4 core max out in the game or more
I'd prefer it if none of my cores were maxed out. It's best if the game doesn't need to max out 4 cores. Sure, it's good if it can make use of an arbitrary number of cores, but that's not entirely possible in Factorio because of update orders and determinism.

Another point: Factorio isn't limited by the CPU. In large bases a good CPU will help, but it's really memory latency that is often the bottleneck. CPU and memory bandwidth come after that.

This was all discussed extensively in this thread, especially see this post (by a dev) in that thread - although it would be best if you could read the whole thing.

mmppolton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mmppolton »

Jap2.0 wrote:
mmppolton wrote:still what most people want is to see all 4 core max out in the game or more
I'd prefer it if none of my cores were maxed out. It's best if the game doesn't need to max out 4 cores. Sure, it's good if it can make use of an arbitrary number of cores, but that's not entirely possible in Factorio because of update orders and determinism.

Another point: Factorio isn't limited by the CPU. In large bases a good CPU will help, but it's really memory latency that is often the bottleneck. CPU and memory bandwidth come after that.

This was all discussed extensively in this thread, especially see this post (by a dev) in that thread - although it would be best if you could read the whole thing.
which cost so much which got me some what burn out of mega base and i think what that person was taking about they prefer fps over dermiststin and so on they rater have a game not very acrerate but very good fps

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

mmppolton wrote:and i think what that person was taking about they prefer fps over dermiststin
No, that's incorrect. The whole idea that multithreading causes indeterminism is incorrect. Many implementations of multithreading techniques cause indeterminism. It's like saying that walking causes your feet to get wet. While it's true when it's raining, it's not the fundamental cause.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

BenSeidel wrote:
mmppolton wrote:and i think what that person was taking about they prefer fps over dermiststin
No, that's incorrect. The whole idea that multithreading causes indeterminism is incorrect. Many implementations of multithreading techniques cause indeterminism. It's like saying that walking causes your feet to get wet. While it's true when it's raining, it's not the fundamental cause.
Sure, you can have determinism and multithreading - it's just one of many things that you have to take into account when multithreading. I'd prefer not to go over all of this again, because it's been discussed both more in-depth and by people who know much more about the subject matter than me in other threads.

Return to “Off topic”