Satisfactory - 3D Factorio?

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
HalfPastZulu
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Satisfactory - 3D Factorio?

Post by HalfPastZulu »

These style or genre of games don't translate to 3D very well. I can't think of one single RTS or Build/SIM game that got better when it went from 2d tiles to 3D. Starcraft gets a nod for being close but thats about it.

The 2D Tiles of Factorio was a big lure for me to the game.

t-lor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by t-lor »

HalfPastZulu wrote:These style or genre of games don't translate to 3D very well. I can't think of one single RTS or Build/SIM game that got better when it went from 2d tiles to 3D. Starcraft gets a nod for being close but thats about it.

Supreme commander is the best rts IMHO (still today, although its 10 years old now) and thats 3d

je11693
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by je11693 »

t-lor wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:53 pm
HalfPastZulu wrote:These style or genre of games don't translate to 3D very well. I can't think of one single RTS or Build/SIM game that got better when it went from 2d tiles to 3D. Starcraft gets a nod for being close but thats about it.

Supreme commander is the best rts IMHO (still today, although its 10 years old now) and thats 3d
What are your thoughts on Command & Conquer? I've never played SC but watched a few gameplay videos and tempted to check it out..

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Satisfactory alpha

Post by Jonathan88 »

Just got an email saying I'll be able to play the alpha tomorrow - if I'm honest I'd completely forgotten I'd signed up for it!

It'll be interested to see what it's like - my prediction is that although some of the ideas are very similar (some might say suspiciously so...), they'll both be aiming for different goals and therefore won't be in direct competition.

For example I very highly doubt satisfactory will get even 10% the optimisation required for the very large factories that Factorio has. Equally Factorio is never going 3D, as that's not what it's aiming for.

I'll be interested to hear what any of you think if you've got the alpha too.
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Satisfactory alpha

Post by steinio »

Yeah as the email states, every alpha subscriber get the key now.

Sounds like they had too many rejects from choosen testers.
The epic launcher will hurt them so much imho.

I will not install epic launcher.
Last edited by steinio on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

Oh, I wasn't aware it was epic not steam... That's a big shame - I was looking forwards to having a look

Bokkie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bokkie »

Got one too.

Will try it, or maybe first 5 minutes factorio.
(Read 5 hours 😁)

_italics_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by _italics_ »

You know, I'm going to install the Epic launcher just because the Steam 30% cut is so high and I'd like the devs to get more of the money instead of the distributor. Apparently Epic takes 12%: https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/12/03 ... ames-store
How did you determine the revenue split percentage, and is this a locked number moving forward?

While running Fortnite we learned a lot about the cost of running a digital store on PC. The math is quite simple: we pay around 2.5 to 3.5 percent for payment processing for major payment methods, less than 1.5 percent for CDN costs (assuming all games are updated as often as Fortnite), and between 1 and 2 percent for variable operating and customer support costs. Fixed costs of developing and supporting the platform become negligible at a large scale. In our analysis, stores charging 30 percent are marking up their costs by 300 to 400 percent. But with developers receiving 88 percent of revenue and Epic receiving 12 percent, this store will still be a profitable business for us.
@steinio, I'd like your key if you're not going to use it.

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

Bokkie wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:45 am
Got one too.

Will try it, or maybe first 5 minutes factorio.
(Read 5 hours 😁)
We'll have to see how well satisfactory stands against the 'Factorio rule': would I rather be playing Factorio right now?
It's amazing how few things in life stand up to the Factorio rule

Blacky007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blacky007 »

Yesterday was Closed Alpha release for everyone you got registered for the Alpha
My color birthday was May 2nd 2020 - Thank you Enchroma

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I'd be interested on the alpha-testers' feedback :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Slightly related, maybe merge?
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=67054

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

I got the alpha weekend key, just played a couple of hours.

I like my Satisfactory like I like my men: pretty but slow.

It could just be the way the tutorial and the tech tree are set up at this early stage in development, but it feels much ploddier than Factorio. It was a couple of hours of holding down craft buttons before I got to being able to split and merge conveyors, for example.

Also - and not really a big surprise - I don't feel the attraction of playing it first person. Everything is huge. Frequently got frustrated when trying to place new buildings and was desperate for a top-down view. I don't see how this style of play is ever going to translate well to blueprints, automated building etc. It feels like a more polished and attractive version of Farlight Explorers, if anyone's seen that. Has a touch of Subnautica or NMS to it. Those are not compliments particularly.

The combat is very underdeveloped right now and is frankly annoying, adds absolutely nothing, would turn it off if I could (but then I often play Factorio with no biters too).

It performs pretty well on my medium-spec gaming rig with nice FPS but graphics card immediately runs very hot and I didn't even get close to what in Factorio would be an early game base. I think it will turn out to be a decent game but it will never replace Factorio in my head or heart, and I seriously doubt it will scale to huge factories either, either in terms of performance or just being able to manage what you're seeing.

Not as much fun as decent Minecraft mods like Thermal Expansion or Immersive Engineering, is my current view. But it has lots of potential.

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

HalfPastZulu wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:03 am
These style or genre of games don't translate to 3D very well. I can't think of one single RTS or Build/SIM game that got better when it went from 2d tiles to 3D. Starcraft gets a nod for being close but thats about it.

Not a single RTS? Battlezone. :D

DMFan79
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DMFan79 »

I've played it a couple of hours and then quit. I find it very boring. The game will never be like Factorio, no matter how many patches/DLCs they're going to release. It's a matter of structural differences you just can't "fix" with updates.

With this said, the games runs pretty smoothly for being 3D, they've been doing a very good job so far.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

DMFan79 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:23 pm
I've played it a couple of hours and then quit. I find it very boring. The game will never be like Factorio, no matter how many patches/DLCs they're going to release. It's a matter of structural differences you just can't "fix" with updates.

With this said, the games runs pretty smoothly for being 3D, they've been doing a very good job so far.
Right on the mark!

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

Game runs very poor on my 1060 6GB and the intro already uses 100% of it.
Couldn't play for long although cause I can't turn of motion blur.

nielskool
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nielskool »

So i played the game yesterday. finished the first 3 tiers and all the research in 6 hours.

As i don't have a high end gaming pc I had to set all settings to low and still it was kinda laggy.

Pros:
I do like the 3D freedom with buildng conveyer belts and stacking building/platforms.
The world looks very good, it does feel like an adventure.
The truck's auto-pilot actually surprised me.

cons:
The pain to place buildings, and aligning them. its very hard to have a good view of how and where you are planning.
The playability on non gaming computers...(low fps)
The world looks good, but there is only 1.
I don't like that i have to walk very close to some of the machines to interact with them. building can be done from a lookout tower but then when I am out of resources I need to get them first again and climb back up... its just not very convenient.

I am sort of curios on what the next tiers will hold but i think this game is more of a like one time play and stop after. I just don't feel comfortable enough to keep building and expanding the base as the building aspect is a bit of a pain, unless they add a jetpack or something.

factorio is still my nr 1.
This game rocks! First game I bought in 10 years or so.
Always try games first through torrents.... but this game is one of the first i deemed worthy to buy!

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Satisfactory is, as pretty as it may look at first glance, not in the same class as Factorio. A Jugo against a Maybach. To put it mildly.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged both Satisfactory topics.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Off topic”