Any Settler fans here?

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
Dreepa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Any Settler fans here?

Post by Dreepa »

Hey,

anyone here old enough to remember the Settlers games? It was kind of also a logistics game. Everytime I play Factorio I wish the developers would take all their knowledge and experience that they gained from making Factorio, and create a new Settlers in the same philosophy.

A medieval logistics realm-builder. With hundreds of Settlers transporting stuff from A to B. With production yards that you can optimize with input and output goods. It would be such a perfect fit. These guys + oldschool Settlers game = Epic win :)

Just dreaming....

Anyone actually remember the Series?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Any Settler fans here?

Post by Koub »

Sure :) Now stop making me feel old, please :P
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

I think i only ever really played the second last game in the series (Settlers 3), and a bit of Settlers 2. If you like those you should try the Anno Series. Anno 1602/1503 were the pinnacles imho, while the newer futuristic games sacrifice gameplay in favor of "ease-of-access" for new players.

Now i wonder what factorio would look like if inserters were replaced by small people :P

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

I hope you mean Settlers 2. What came after that was... kinda meh.

If you're feeling nostalgic... Settlers 2 runs great in the DosBox emulator.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

There is a Settlers 2 10th Anniversary edition that will run normally on modern hardware without emulators.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

There is also Widelands on Linux for free.

But back to being on topic:

Settler 3 had buildings that take stuff and produce other stuff (assemblers). It had mines that mine ores for fuel and food (burner miners with extra "liquid" requirement like mining uranium has). Lots of settlers that run around transporting goods (logistic bots, can you make them plan path around entities? AAI vehicles?). A military (AAI chain gunners or other fighting bots).

So lets get to modding a settler mod for factorio.

JimiQ
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JimiQ »

mrvn wrote:...
So lets get to modding a settler mod for factorio.
Yes, please! My wife doesn't want to play factorio, because it's 'too futuristic' or some other nonsense. She only plays 'medieval' themed games... so Settlerio would be awesome!

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

JimiQ wrote: Yes, please! My wife doesn't want to play factorio, because it's 'too futuristic' or some other nonsense. She only plays 'medieval' themed games...
Surely that is grounds for a divorce!! :D
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

OBXandos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by OBXandos »

They are working on a Settlers 8, trailer here. I also saw that they are working on a Settlers Anthology that will have all of the old ones in it. Supposedly they are also working on a new Anno game titled Anno 1800. They haven't updated the news section in over a year on that game though so no telling when it might come out. Both are being worked on by Blue Byte who I think created both games.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

OBXandos wrote:They are working on a Settlers 8, trailer here.
It was removed from the Settlers series, renamed and released in 2016 as Champions of Anteria.
OBXandos wrote:I also saw that they are working on a Settlers Anthology that will have all of the old ones in it.
It releases on November 15, 2018 under the name The Settlers History Collection, includes all 7 games + expansions and will be exclusively available via Uplay.

They are working on a reboot of the series (together with Volker Wertich who invented the series and developed 1 and 3). It's simply called The Settlers and is scheduled to release in Fall 2019.
Announcement trailer from a week ago: THE SETTLERS - GAMESCOM ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER
Pre-Alpha gameplay (with German commentary): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlB1s7HHHew
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

silenced
Inserter
Inserter

Post by silenced »

I wish they would make a modern remake of the first Settlers game from 1993.

Let it have the same graphics (maybe allow more than SVGA with 640x480px, I loved how my Genoa 8500VL graphics card back then could display this, and my monitor too), same awesome music, same interface, just a modern 64bit engine capable of not crashing when you reach FFFF+1 in available settlers.

I miss these old times.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

silenced wrote:I wish they would make a modern remake of the first Settlers game from 1993.

Let it have the same graphics (maybe allow more than SVGA with 640x480px, I loved how my Genoa 8500VL graphics card back then could display this, and my monitor too), same awesome music, same interface, just a modern 64bit engine capable of not crashing when you reach FFFF+1 in available settlers.

I miss these old times.
The new one is at least supposed to be a back-to-the-roots "but with new ideas!™" reboot. I.e. no heroes, real time strategy, or any of the other "non-settler-typical" stuff (that's what they said). That said i'm a burned child after the Master of Orion "remake" fiasco, so... not getting my hopes up until i've played it myself.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Off topic”