Why pure water able to kill human ?

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Why pure water able to kill human ?

Post by Hellatze »

They said you should having mineralized water than pure water.

Whats the diffrence ?

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Why pure water able to kill human ?

Post by olafthecat »

Whose they?
As for your question, the minerals in the water are good for you.
It contains vitamins and other stuff which may be difficult to get elsewhere.
Also, in the case of the difference between bottled mineral water and tap water, there is usually none.
This 'naturally bottled at source mineral water', is usually just tap water.
Besides, tap water is just cleaned river water, which comes from a source up in the mountains.
This 'mineral water' just costs much more for the same product.
Also, about this killing business, I don't actually know the answer, so just search it up on the internet.
My personal opinion, most likely won't kill you on the short term.
On the long term, may die of one of the many nutrient deficiency diseases.
Have fun :D

PLEASE NOTE: I am not a qualified water scientist and I usually have no idea what I'm talking about. No rage pls. Correct my mistakes in the nicest possible way.
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Since prehistory, mankind has only survived because it was able to produce artificially mineralized water, this is so obvious.
btw why all these posts about god, water, and so ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Koub wrote:Since prehistory, mankind has only survived because it was able to produce artificially mineralized water, this is so obvious.
How human know how to make mineralized water ? Since prehistoric human are stupid.

This post used to create off topic more intresting. Since i am so random.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Osmosis.

Water (and other liquids) tend to equalize soluble amount between two chambers separated by a permeable membrane. This means if you have two containers of water separated by something like a cell lining or human skin - water will flow from the chamber with less minerals/salts to the one with more, until the ratio of soluble materials is equal.

Since all the cells in the human body have salts (about 1-2%), if you drink pure water your cells will absorb the water and literally blow up like over-filled water balloons. I'm sure you can understand why this isn't good.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Hellatze wrote:
Koub wrote:Since prehistory, mankind has only survived because it was able to produce artificially mineralized water, this is so obvious.
How human know how to make mineralized water ? Since prehistoric human are stupid.
This is called sarcasm. Seems obvious artificially mineralized water is not mandatory for survival, as mankind has survived so long without it.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Koub wrote:
Hellatze wrote:
This is called sarcasm. Seems obvious artificially mineralized water is not mandatory for survival, as mankind has survived so long without it.
Artificially mineralized water may not be neccesary for survival, but sarcasm is :).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

sillyfly wrote:Osmosis.

Water (and other liquids) tend to equalize soluble amount between two chambers separated by a permeable membrane. This means if you have two containers of water separated by something like a cell lining or human skin - water will flow from the chamber with less minerals/salts to the one with more, until the ratio of soluble materials is equal.

Since all the cells in the human body have salts (about 1-2%), if you drink pure water your cells will absorb the water and literally blow up like over-filled water balloons. I'm sure you can understand why this isn't good.
I am an idiot. I still not undestand what are you saying.

Use simple words :(

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

So here I am, expecting a scientific analysis of this question, which I sorta got but, anyways I was not expecting this :?

Surely it cannot be this catastrophic.
That's all.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

olafthecat wrote:So here I am, expecting a scientific analysis of this question, which I sorta got but, anyways I was not expecting this :?

Surely it cannot be this catastrophic.
I'm not entirely sure, but it has been pointed out that people did survive for quite a while without all this stuff. I believe that might be what would happen if you only drank water for a long time, because you would probably get salt and the other stuff you need from you food.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

This is all about demineralized water, as in - pure H2O. Tap water, as well as water in rivers, streams, aquifers etc. always have dissolved minerals.
The only way to get deminarlized water is to condense steam.

So yeah, any natural source of water is OK in this sense.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

Hi Bilka!
That's all.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

sillyfly wrote:This is all about demineralized water, as in - pure H2O. Tap water, as well as water in rivers, streams, aquifers etc. always have dissolved minerals.

The topic of this thread are. Why pure water able to kill human.

Not how to create water

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Hellatze wrote:
sillyfly wrote:This is all about demineralized water, as in - pure H2O. Tap water, as well as water in rivers, streams, aquifers etc. always have dissolved minerals.

The topic of this thread are. Why pure water able to kill human.

Not how to create water
The general consensus is that it probably could, but it would be extrememly difficult to make that happen.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

If you drink enough water then you basically die.
This is because it washes all of the nutrients out of your body.
This is called water toxicity and there are a few Darwin awards related to it.
Go and buy the books, if that's what you like...
That's all.

OdinYggd
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by OdinYggd »

Natural water sources contain dissolved minerals, they are not pure water. That's why water has a taste- your body is looking for those dissolved minerals.

Pure water has no taste.

Drinking pure water will cause the body to give up minerals it already has in order to make the incoming water have the same amount of dissolved minerals as the water your body is already made of. Over time this causes you to lose minerals that must be replaced from food or supplemented, and if your body fails to keep up or you drink too much purified water at once you'll run out with potentially life-threatening consequences.

The delicate balance of sodium and potassium ions that power your neurons can be disrupted by drinking large amount of pure water. Messing this up can cause seizures, coma, and death.

Distilled water is great for chemistry and for industrial processes. But it is too pure for your body to really use properly, so its best to stick with spring water that has proper minerals in it for your body to use.
In my mind, Steam is the eternal king of the railway.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

That's the sort of answer I was looking for! :)
That's all.

Return to “Off topic”