Off-Topic discussions about Pro and Contra DRM plus meta :)

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Off-Topic discussions about Pro and Contra DRM plus meta

Post by therapist »

FreeER wrote:I was just thinking that if this discussion goes on for 4 pages or so then a better topic for it would be something like 'Are complicated topics worth spending much of your time discussing' or something, not perfect but most of it hasn't been on drm so far... was just an idea/suggestion to help people that do want to discuss a specific topic do so without having to sort through a lot of 'slightly' related content as well.
It wasn't the DRM thread, it was created because people on the piracy thread want to keep asking "Should we even have this discussion? Should it even be allowed? etc" It did devolve into "Should any such topic be discussed?" but that is kind of a meta (not really meta) discussion of the first topic.
FreeER wrote:Essentially (assuming that you swap 'dictatorship' with 'monarchy' according to the definitions above), yes. Of course if the monarchy ever comes to a point where it's no longer a paradise, well that's why the word 'revolt' shall stay in my dictionary :) Why would I want a democracy that does not work over any government that does (assuming that the will of the people has some influence)? Now, would I trade a flawed democracy for a government that does not listen to it's people and allows no freedom whatsoever even if it made what life you were allowed to have 'great'? no! I'd try to analyze why that working government actually worked and apply that to the government I was in so as to improve it.
So the ends justify the means for you. Any road to paradise will be embraced by you. I prefer the opposite approach, revolt to any monarchy or dictatorship or aristocracy or fascist system regardless of whether it works or not, and instead of putting trust and responsibility in ONE person ir a few people to inform themselves and make decisions, spread the responsibility around to ALL people. Even in utter failure, at least the blame of poor decisions falls on the people. Unlike you, I DO want some form of representative democracy over any other form of government, I was under the impression that all people felt this way. Even the Egyptians and Syrians were pushing towards at least faking systems like these, if not implementing them, but maybe what they really truly crave is a successful monarchy or aristocracy.

Now that that is sorted, you have dispatched the myth I asserted that all people prefer democracy. Can you at least admit there are other concepts we can all agree on? Things we, as humans, struggled with for thousands of years before finally coming to a consensus on? Maybe we can agree slavery of other human beings is at least wrong? I know it hasn't happened in one certain culture I can think of, but can we mostly agree woman and men should be treated as equals? You obliterated my point about democracy by asserting you prefer any system that is fair to the people and works well, but my real point was there are things we as humans need to "discuss to death" so we can reach the final logical conclusions to those questions. My personal opinion is that someday we will all agree that government should play a role in the maintenance of the health of their citizens. (socialized medicine) I would be HAPPY to be proven wrong and change my view, but what I do insist on, is the best discussion of both sides, continually discuss issues like these, until we find the answer to these questions. To avoid discussion on topics like these, just because these are hard issues, just because these discussion make people feel uneasy is what I can't stand. You can't just give up and call it a matter of opinion, whether apples taste better than oranges is a matter of opinion, whether green or purple is the best color is a matter of opinion. Other questions, even though they cannot be proven scientifically, have definite answers. Sure there are opposing opinions, but does this mean we should avoid discussion out of politeness? I think I would rather be rude and continue development of ideas than cease development for the sake of politeness. I respect your right to drop out of the discussion, but I do wish so much you would try.

This is what I was talking about with ssilk, this is what was talked about in the other thread that lead to the creation of this thread. "Is the discussion worthwhile? Is it worthless?" I assert the former. You don't have to discuss but for god sake go discuss how we shouldn't be having a discussion about a certain topic somewhere else, the piracy thread is for the discussion of piracy, not for you to question if the conversation is worth having. If you dont think it is worth having, go develop that idea somewhere else. The shutting down of discussion, the assertion is it fruitless, is the one point in discussion I will not take into consideration under any circumstances.

Return to “Off topic”