Sooo very offtopic :)

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Sooo very offtopic :)

Post by FreeER »

So I just spent over twelve hours on a website until I got stuck on real 11... (yes yes, I know I should have been working on Factorio, I'm sorry! :lol:)
hm, not sure if I should actually give out the url considering it's contents (but 'technically' legal, due to educational clauses).... hts.io and that's all I'm saying.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Sooo very offtopic :)

Post by Dakkanor »

thats just cruel.
i know i will regret it, but unforgiving curiosity is worse than future regret
Pm it?

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Dakkanor wrote:Pm it?
No, no. It is entirely possible to find the site from what I've said, and if you aren't willing to find the site then the site itself probably wouldn't interest you too much :)

Note: there is a 'hidden' clue within the first post that makes it pretty obvious once you follow it...

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

hts = hack this site

Not sure how long this topic is going to last but I hope not too long.

Wredi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wredi »

whats so special about that site? as far as i read, its just a URL-shortener....

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

It's also a hacking school of sorts.

But yeah they do provide url-shortening service.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Drury wrote:hts = hack this site
aw, you spoiled it lol. Not very hard to find though, and should be easily recognizable to those who've been there.
Not sure how long this topic is going to last but I hope not too long.
Why not? Not that I want to encourage 'hacking' (the actual term I want to use is cracking but I'm not sure how many people would know the difference), but it's good to know how it (basically) works (especially if you have your own site that you want to protect). Besides, I did create it in 'off topic'.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

From that perspective, yes, but from your original post it seems you have found some files on the server that we're not supposed to have access to.

Basically there is no point to this thread as I assume you're not going to share your findings, and anyway, you really shouldn't.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Drury wrote:but from your original post it seems you have found some files on the server that we're not supposed to have access to.
No nothing like that, though I wouldn't be immensely surprised if one happened to be there somewhere (though from what I read the mods take it down asap). There are better/different sites for that sort of thing (and I wouldn't be sharing them here, that's not what this website is about. Actually I probably wouldn't share that kind at all).
What I meant by 'contents' earlier was A) a way to possibly interest a few other people who might have seen 'hacking' and said, 'no thanks, that's difficult' and B) As a warning to anyone who tries to avoid 'ambiguous' issues (or in countries/schools where such things can get them in trouble regardless of why they went there).
Drury wrote:Basically there is no point to this thread
The point of almost all of these 'off topic' threads is simply to share other non-Factorio based things that we've run across and found interesting, so that anyone else who might be interested can see it too.

Renwallz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Renwallz »

The point of Hack This Site is to encourage those who are both naturally curious and technically minded. If you stopped at the URL Shortener page, then HTS isn't for you.

For a sort-of similar type of thing, check out NotPr0n. It's a bit less technical than HTS, but no less challenging.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

One of my friends pointed me to HTS at one point and i tried it, seemed to teach the basics of reading source code. Though I have been digging up source code, playing with $_GET, and changing $_POST commands since I got really good at web design.

Have you added a tutorial on how to disable "no right click" or hide those "preview divs" on websites that want you to register first? Disabling those overlays is really fun, especially with firefox as it seems to remember you disabling a div for a certain number of pages (if you stay on the same website).

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Darthlawsuit wrote:Have you added a tutorial
I haven't and, as far as I know, no one else has either...
Darthlawsuit wrote:disable "no right click"
I've never actually disabled these...usually hitting the context menu key on the keyboard (between right alt and right ctrl) works, and if that doesn't usually shift+F10 does (also I think some browsers, like opera, ignore those scripts anyways). And of course if those (somehow) fail and I'm just wanting a look at the source I can use 'save page as'. But I'm curious so, mind pointing me somewhere that mentions how?
edit: nvm, found this post, well as you can probably see I really don't know javascript (or much else) very well yet :)
Darthlawsuit wrote:Disabling those overlays is really fun, especially with firefox as it seems to remember you disabling a div
hm, I don't remember FF doing that (but I do use Palemoon instead and I usually don't stay on the sites)...though there are those sites that don't load the full content, unless you have logged in, so disabling the overlays doesn't really help in those cases (not too common though).

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

Well, firefox has firebug for inline html/js/css modification, but it doesn't stay between pages.

I knew a tool to alter CSS for all site, all class, or other things like that, but I can't remember the name.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

slay_mithos wrote:Well, firefox has firebug for inline html/js/css modification, but it doesn't stay between pages.

I knew a tool to alter CSS for all site, all class, or other things like that, but I can't remember the name.
Well, technically altering CSS should do the same since you are not altering the files on the server, however, I did find this that says Firefox has a way to override it (and both Chrome and FF have a 'Stylish' plugin that allows it to persist locally (is that an oxymoron? probably lol)), I'm sure you could probably use Greasemonkey or something similar to auto-alter specific pages/domains when you went there now that I think about it...
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

FreeER wrote:
Darthlawsuit wrote:Have you added a tutorial
I haven't and, as far as I know, no one else has either...
Darthlawsuit wrote:disable "no right click"
I've never actually disabled these...usually hitting the context menu key on the keyboard (between right alt and right ctrl) works, and if that doesn't usually shift+F10 does (also I think some browsers, like opera, ignore those scripts anyways). And of course if those (somehow) fail and I'm just wanting a look at the source I can use 'save page as'. But I'm curious so, mind pointing me somewhere that mentions how?
edit: nvm, found this post, well as you can probably see I really don't know javascript (or much else) very well yet :)

Darthlawsuit wrote:Disabling those overlays is really fun, especially with firefox as it seems to remember you disabling a div
hm, I don't remember FF doing that (but I do use Palemoon instead and I usually don't stay on the sites)...though there are those sites that don't load the full content, unless you have logged in, so disabling the overlays doesn't really help in those cases (not too common though).
I used to disable the Javascript from loading, however in firefox now there is an option to "disable an alert" when it appears and it disables it rather easily.

It seems to be a recent development. I was disabling an overlay like normal and it just... stuck. As long as I kept the Dev tools open and stayed on the same domain the changes were still applied. Wasn't really expecting it but it was a welcome feature.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Darthlawsuit wrote:there is an option to "disable an alert" when it appears and it disables it rather easily.
hm, I know that option but I'd have expected the nocontext script to still work (it just disallows the alert right?), plus it's easy to make the script be silent (no alert to the user).
Darthlawsuit wrote:Wasn't really expecting it but it was a welcome feature.
yeah handy, though the question (especially since it's a recent development) is whether FF/dev tool designers would consider it a feature or bug :)

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

FreeER wrote:
Darthlawsuit wrote:there is an option to "disable an alert" when it appears and it disables it rather easily.
hm, I know that option but I'd have expected the nocontext script to still work (it just disallows the alert right?), plus it's easy to make the script be silent (no alert to the user).
Darthlawsuit wrote:Wasn't really expecting it but it was a welcome feature.
yeah handy, though the question (especially since it's a recent development) is whether FF/dev tool designers would consider it a feature or bug :)
Not exactly sure how the inner workings work, but it seems to disable the whole script that makes the alert happen.

Hope they keep it, has come in handy with building websites :P

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Darthlawsuit wrote: Not exactly sure how the inner workings work, but it seems to disable the whole script that makes the alert happen.
Wow, that seems...like it could cause problems in (relatively) rare circumstances :lol:
a google search pulled up a couple possibly related things: this from 2011, so it's not entirely recent :) and also this from bugzilla...

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

Bah, the best script related thing in FF is still 'nocript', as it enables you to choose what sites can provide scripts at all.
It can really screw many sites, but you really reduce risks.

As for alerts, it's really something that should be kept for debug and building only, there are many ways to make message windows for the users that can fit way better into a site, so disabling them should only impact old sites or badly designed ones^^

Return to “Off topic”