Illegal Copy Multiplayer

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
Charles_H
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Illegal Copy Multiplayer

Post by Charles_H »

Hello Factorio Forums. I'm new here.
I purchased the game, but a friend of mine wanted to play with me, and he got an illegal copy.
I opened my ports correctly, but he was unable to join.
Can you not connect to people with an illegal copy of the game?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Illegal Copy Multiplayer

Post by Koub »

Probably a version mismatch. Tell him to buy the game, and he'll be able to update it, thus allowing him to play with you.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Charles_H
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Charles_H »

Koub wrote:Probably a version mismatch. Tell him to buy the game, and he'll be able to update it, thus allowing him to play with you.
He says he has version 0.12.29.
I also have 0.12.29, and I made sure I did so I can play with him.

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

He also need to open the ports on his side. It's a peer to peer kind of multiplayer.

Charles_H
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Charles_H »

devilwarriors wrote:He also need to open the ports on his side. It's a peer to peer kind of multiplayer.
Oh is that the problem? I'll tell him! Thank you so much!

Killavirus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Killavirus »

Wow Just WOW.
How disrespectful are you ??

Not only do you spit on their work, you do it right in their face !!!
Addiction Thy Name be Factorio, FACTORIO IS NOT A LIE.

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

Don't listen to him, pirated or not this game need more people to know about it and there more chance your friend is going to buy the game after having fun with you than after playing that too short demo.
I know because I also pirated it after playing the demo and bought the game a few day later. I doubt I would have bought it after just the demo.

I'd rather you'd been honest from the start than lets us try to debug your problem only to realize lather that we all lost our time because you had a pirated copy.

Some people will never understand how a pirated copy is not necessarily a lost sale.
The DEV are doing a good thing by not adding a DRM to their game.
Last edited by devilwarriors on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

devilwarriors wrote:Don't listen to him, pirated or not this game need more people to know about it and there more chance you friend is going to buy the game after having fun with you than after playing that too short demo.
I know because I also pirated it after playing the demo and bought the game a few day later. I doubt I would have bought it after just the demo.

I'd rather you'd been honest from the start than lets us try to debug your problem only to realize lather that we all lost our time because you had a pirated copy.

Some people will never understand how a pirated copy is not necessarily a lost sale.
The DEV are doing a good thing by not adding a DRM to their game.
ummmmm so you are saying who cares about copyright laws if i buy it later. for example lets say i went to the store and stole a ps4 and copies of some games and then after 2 weeks of liking the game you go up to the manager of the store and you are like, "hi i stole some games and a ps4 console but here is some money to cover for what i stole thanks bye." i am pretty sure you would still get fined and sent to prison, or at the very least get the cops called on you.

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

Killavirus wrote:Not only do you spit on their work, you do it right in their face !!!
Its not disrespectful or spitting on their work. His desire to play with a friend generated a sale. It might generate another if that friend has a good experience. Thats awesome. More sales = great thing
DrEthan wrote: ummmmm so you are saying who cares about copyright laws if i buy it later.
he might not be saying that but I will. Yes. I give less than zero fraks about copyright laws. I only care about ACTUAL harm to content creators, not imaginary harm.
DrEthan wrote: for example lets say i went to the store and stole a ps4 and ...
and ... with all due respect you are being stupid. Downloading something is not theft. Theft means an object was removed from its owners possession and it is no longer available to them depriving them of those resources. Making a copy of a game does not remove anything from anyone unless you also hack the owners computer and delete their original. That would be a bad thing. Making a copy is not.

I pirated Factorio twice before buying it. First time quite awhile ago and I thought the game sucked. 2nd time just a few months ago and played it a tiny bit over the course of a week or two while I had some time and decided it was developed enough now to be worth a sale. I've given several of my friends the pirated copy and a few of them have bought copies. My step son hated it and deleted it. My daughter is considering buying a copy. None of those people will be writing bad reviews because they didnt waaste any money where it wasnt deserved. The others generated sales and/or more exposure. Piracy is not a lost sale nor is anything stolen as nothing disappears from its owner. And the people who pirate with no intention of buying either dont have the money to begin with (not a lost sale) or just wouldnt pay no matter what (not a lost sale). Get off your high horse or at least find one to ride that isnt lame and needs put down.

-edit-

Forgot. As to the original issue pirated copies of the game have zero problems connecting to legitimately bought copies. Tested on 32bit and 64bit on win7 and 8.1. The only issue is that the 64bit pirated copy will not run on 64bit windows that uses a cpu with integrated graphics (an APU). Running the 32bit version gives you the warning that you should try the 64bit version to match your OS but it plays fine otherwise.

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

seronis wrote:
DrEthan wrote: for example lets say i went to the store and stole a ps4 and ...
and ... with all due respect you are being stupid. Downloading something is not theft. Theft means an object was removed from its owners possession and it is no longer available to them depriving them of those resources. Making a copy of a game does not remove anything from anyone unless you also hack the owners computer and delete their original. That would be a bad thing. Making a copy is not.

I pirated Factorio twice before buying it. First time quite awhile ago and I thought the game sucked. 2nd time just a few months ago and played it a tiny bit over the course of a week or two while I had some time and decided it was developed enough now to be worth a sale. I've given several of my friends the pirated copy and a few of them have bought copies. My step son hated it and deleted it. My daughter is considering buying a copy. None of those people will be writing bad reviews because they didnt waaste any money where it wasnt deserved. The others generated sales and/or more exposure. Piracy is not a lost sale nor is anything stolen as nothing disappears from its owner. And the people who pirate with no intention of buying either dont have the money to begin with (not a lost sale) or just wouldnt pay no matter what (not a lost sale). Get off your high horse or at least find one to ride that isnt lame and needs put down.

-edit-

Forgot. As to the original issue pirated copies of the game have zero problems connecting to legitimately bought copies. Tested on 32bit and 64bit on win7 and 8.1. The only issue is that the 64bit pirated copy will not run on 64bit windows that uses a cpu with integrated graphics (an APU). Running the 32bit version gives you the warning that you should try the 64bit version to match your OS but it plays fine otherwise.
so you literally dont care that pirating is illegal and you can be fined for and and sued by the company who made the product? ( i am also amazed the neither the developers or the moderators of this forum care about this.
Making a copy is not.
and yes it is a bad thing both morally and legally.
Last edited by daniel34 on Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed the quote

DrEthan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DrEthan »

devilwarriors wrote:Image
i have no idea what this is supposed to say to me( i am guessing you are saying buying and pirating a game is the same thing and if you were saying that, that would be wrong) .

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

Of course I dont care that its illegal. I care WHY things might be illegal and live based on the intention. You dont follow a law because its a law. You follow a law because it has a purpose and its the purpose you are supposed to live by. Thats common sense

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

OK there will never be a consensus between those who think piracy is illegal and should be punished and those who don't give a fuck. The original question has been answered, the rest is pointless arguing.
[Koub] Topic locked
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Off topic”