Alternative Education?

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Alternative Education?

Post by FreeER »

Basically I'm curious what people think of sites (and goals) like the non-profit Khan Academy
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Alternative Education?

Post by Gammro »

I have used Khan Academy before for a quick refresh on some subjects in math. The video's are good to explain the basics of the subject, but without the viewer putting any more effort into it, he probably won't remember it. It's not a complete substitute for the current way of education.

And all subjects I've looked at are theoretical. I'd like to see more applied subjects, like engineering. But there's MIT opencourseware for that :D
Ignore this

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Alternative Education?

Post by FreeER »

Gammro wrote:I have used Khan Academy before for a quick refresh on some subjects in math. The video's are good to explain the basics of the subject, but without the viewer putting any more effort into it, he probably won't remember it. It's not a complete substitute for the current way of education. And all subjects I've looked at are theoretical. I'd like to see more applied subjects, like engineering.
Well the goal of Khan Academy is not actually intended to completely replace schools. It's intended to move rote/lecture learning from teachers in school and put it in the home, replacing it with the more practical, hands on, and creative projects in school with teachers and peers. Obviously if the students are not doing it outside of class the teachers will know and can find ways to get them to do so. 16 min video, there are more if you look, some are rather interesting imo. And from my understand they intend to expand, they've add a, (somewhat poor imo, but interesting and teaches basics) tutorial for javascript.
But there's MIT opencourseware for that :D
I'll have to look into that some, I found Khan Academy a couple days ago trying to refresh my Calc and Trig skills :)
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Return to “Off topic”