Frostpunk - a building / survival game

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Frostpunk - a building / survival game

Post by Ghoulish »

Frostpunk is a game that follows an ice age that effects the whole world, some survivors decide to travel to the Antarctic (or North Pole.. I forget which!) As that's where a lot of resources are believed to be. You have to build various infrastructure to support your citizens from tents to coal mines to research stations. What you build and when effects the hope and discontent level of your citizens, and further than this you are forced to choose what action to take following a situation; Following a death will you build a cemetery for your citizens (and have family members spend time at the grave site reducing their productivity during work hours, or will you build a pit to dump them in? Your choice will have an impact on your colony. You are regularly faced with a myriad of tough choices to make, another I had yesterday was that following an accident, a citizen was maimed and gangrene set in, will you force the citizen to be amputated (which is vehemently not wanted) Or will you hope they survive and end up with a crippled citizen who can't work? These choices add a great depth to the game and really does get you involved in the storyline.

The tech tree is very deep and varied and you also have to choose from various laws to enact (child labour anyone?). You can also send out scouts to look for resources or other survivors, this further adds to the depth.

The graphics are great too, though a minor gripe is that there isn't enough zoom - I'd like to be able to zoom in further. Finding a specific building can be a pain as well, as you can rotate the camera by 360° - it's quite easy to get lost as it were.

This is a superb game, well thought out - it's from the developers of This War of Mine, which is another remarkable game which makes you take tough choices (recommended!). If you're on these forums you clearly like building type games, so just go get it now!
Frostpunk_Automaton_02.jpg
Frostpunk_Automaton_02.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 3592 times
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Frostpunk - a building / survival game

Post by Deadlock989 »

Had my eye on this. Looks great, nice scenario, excellent style, seems like a nice hybrid between base building / city management after a blizzard of disappointing releases in that genre. The price puts me off a little. Will wait for a bit of bug polish before deciding whether to splash out or wait for a sale.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Deadlock989 wrote:Had my eye on this. Looks great, nice scenario, excellent style, seems like a nice hybrid between base building / city management after a blizzard of disappointing releases in that genre. The price puts me off a little. Will wait for a bit of bug polish before deciding whether to splash out or wait for a sale.
Me too.
Great setting and dicisions matter in further progress.
Very dystopian but Maybe that's what i like instead of the polished cities Skylines.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Oh no, it's an ice age... let's go north!
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

In my whishlist :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Deadlock989 wrote:Had my eye on this. Looks great, nice scenario, excellent style, seems like a nice hybrid between base building / city management after a blizzard of disappointing...
Overwatch. Blizzard. ERROR: Bad pun overload. CAUTION: Mei mode activated. WARNING: Warcraft nostalgia overflow. Brain crashed. Coffee requested.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

I like that kind of Dystopian moral grey-zone shit where mostly every decision has an upside/downside rather than just the obvious "black & white" or "good & evil". Way better than the "everything is fine and dandy" genre. It is like the only thing left I can still get off to in games and movies and music and whatever else.

From a city builder aspect I especially like the the circular placement of the buildings around the center reactor. They took an idea I experimented with for a while which I wanted to use in a 4x space Strategy game I'm designing and working on every now and then as a hobby... there I would have used that circular "grid" for defining sectors in the galaxy map to ensure each and every sector on each ring has an equal area no matter how far away it is from the center/core to ensure fair/equal distribution of stars. In the case of Frostpunk that's good because that way they could place buildings with the same density on every ring without having too much awkward unusable free space in between and without having to re-model each building to fit the changing sector geometry. I wouldn't say that it is a novelty or something, but from my own experiences with it I know why circular stuff like that is often being avoided for the problems and difficulties it imposes, hence why it is a true eye-catcher when someone eventually does it.

The graphics... Ahhhh... I like the winter setting. Puts my mind at ease especially after how ridiculously colorful and cartoonish most games nowadays have become.
Koub wrote:In my whishlist :)
On mine as well ever since they announced it last year.

Return to “Off topic”