Graph combinator

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Graph combinator

Post by blazespinnaker »

It'd be cool to be able to see time series graphs of all the outputs of a network, like the production graphs. I couldn't find any APIs to add a mod for this, but if someone knows better, please point me in the right direciton.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Graph combinator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to Modding help. If the modding experts lurking here say it's not possible, I'll move it to modding interface requests.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

blazespinnaker wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:05 pm
It'd be cool to be able to see time series graphs of all the outputs of a network, like the production graphs. I couldn't find any APIs to add a mod for this, but if someone knows better, please point me in the right direciton.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/factorio-dashboard

like this?

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yuck++. Did you look at that mod? These are the sort of details which are the difference between a miserable experience and a pleasant one and why mods are not the panacea that people think they are.

Sure, with a turing complete engine, I guess you can do anything. You could probably write Quake with a word processor macro language. But would you want to?

What half makes Factorio great are in the details. Folks don't appreciate that enough.
[Koub] Moved to Modding help. If the modding experts lurking here say it's not possible, I'll move it to modding interface requests
Isn't it rather obvious that everything is also a modding interface request?

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

blazespinnaker wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:41 pm
Yuck++. Did you look at that mod? These are the sort of details which are the difference between a miserable experience and a pleasant one and why mods are not the panacea that people think they are.

Sure, with a turing complete engine, I guess you can do anything. You could probably write Quake with a word processor macro language. But would you want to?

What half makes Factorio great are in the details. Folks don't appreciate that enough.
[Koub] Moved to Modding help. If the modding experts lurking here say it's not possible, I'll move it to modding interface requests
Isn't it rather obvious that everything is also a modding interface request?
nothing you said really makes sense to me in this context.

can you elaborate? you asked for time-series details of the production flow statistics. I showed you what's possible. what's the problem?

Trific
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trific »

ptx0 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:39 pm
you asked for time-series details of the production flow statistics.
No, the request was for time series graphs of all the outputs of a network (combinators).

Like an oscilloscope.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Wiring up the lights to make pretty pictures of the data I leave up to whoever wants the fancy stuff bad enough to implement it, here's how you get however much of a circuit history you want to make pictures of.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yeah, that's another way to go for sure and it was what I originally planned on doing, though something like train lights on a map view was what I was thinking. The idea being that the lights would generate digits. Graphs for bonus points, I guess.

However, my original intention (subverted unkindly by the mod, imho) was that Wube had already created a very nice graphing interface and enhancing it to consume combinators should in theory be a simple tweak on their part assuming basic engineering practices took place, or at the very least adding a mod API.

Given some of the nonsenical API design, it's possible that basic engineering practices didn't always take place. I've done my share of hacks though, so I get it.

Return to “Modding help”