Artillery targeting behavior?

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
HURTZCO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Artillery targeting behavior?

Post by HURTZCO »

Anyone has any data, or knows where I can find in the game code how the artillery (or any turret, really) aims, specifically regarding the manual targeting? I have an idea for a mod but I'd need to understand that behavior to get it working properly.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Artillery targeting behavior?

Post by Qon »

Code: Select all

entity.surface.create_entity({
                    name = "artillery-flare",
                    position = {x, y},
                    force = entity.force,
            })
My mod ArtilleryCombinator creates artillery-flare's at the position you decide with your combinator. An artillery flare is the targeting dot that is placed with the manual targeting tool and which artillery will aim at.

HURTZCO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HURTZCO »

So if I want any turret-specific behavior that doesn't apply to all artillery, I'll have to write the script to get the behavior going?

Because really that was part of my plan - cloning/instancing parts or the totality of the Artillery class to create a separate artillery call that wouldn't interfere with normal artillery turrets/wagons.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

HURTZCO wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:24 pm
Because really that was part of my plan - cloning/instancing parts or the totality of the Artillery class to create a separate artillery call that wouldn't interfere with normal artillery turrets/wagons.
The factorio API does not offer that kind of low-level access to classes. Want different behavior from a base entity -> Have to use a fake entity and script it all yourself. Possibly including the spawning of projectiles.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

HURTZCO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HURTZCO »

But for a completely new entity that would simulate base-like behavior, I'll have to write the whole thing from scratch and everything should be good, correct?

In this case, is there a way to get a turret to only attack a specific type of entity?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

HURTZCO wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:54 pm
But for a completely new entity that would simulate base-like behavior, I'll have to write the whole thing from scratch and everything should be good, correct?
Everything except possibly performance ;).
HURTZCO wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:54 pm
In this case, is there a way to get a turret to only attack a specific type of entity?
TriggerTargetMask + TriggerTargetType as far as i understand
https://wiki.factorio.com/Types/TriggerTargetMask
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

HURTZCO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HURTZCO »

Sounds like it would be more beneficial to change the game up a bit around my content instead of trying to implement the behavior that would make my mod unique 😂

Return to “Modding help”