"spider-vehicle" prototype definitions

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Schallfalke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

"spider-vehicle" prototype definitions

Post by Schallfalke »

I would like to ask about the new prototype "spider-vehicle".
I already have some ideas to mod with it, but do not see it yet in the Wiki prototype definitions page. That would be greatly helpful if it gets updated.
Also wonder how much properties (and their interactions with other things) are differed between "spider-vehicle" and "car".

Below are some specific questions I want to ask:
  1. "spider-vehicle": When does chain_shooting_cooldown_modifier work? Only on automatic weapon cycling mode?
  2. "spider-vehicle": Does manual firing (say, holding the space bar) benefit from chain_shooting_cooldown_modifier?
  3. "spider-vehicle": Would chain_shooting_cooldown_modifier = 0.25 be a better analogy to four weapons firing at once? (Now 0.5)
  4. "spider-vehicle": Is "spidertron-remote" only interacting with entities under "spider-vehicle"?
  5. "spider-vehicle": What does torso_rotation_speed affect? Only on graphics? Or can affect controls?
  6. "spider-vehicle": What does height affect? Only on graphics? Or can affect controls?
  7. "spider-vehicle": What does spider_engine.military_target means? (Relations between engine and target?)
  8. "simple-entity-with-force": Likewise, what does "spidertron-military-target" actually used for? (I thought it was the blinking colour dot after remote control click, but both the icon and picture points to steel chest instead.)
  9. Any other differences from prototype "car" not mentioned above?
  10. "spider-vehicle": If I want to make the spidertron double as fast/slow in movement, what should I change? (Here weight = 1, looks very different use from "car", "locomotive", etc.)

Schallfalke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: "spider-vehicle" prototype definitions

Post by Schallfalke »

Glad to see the Wiki prototype definitions page updated about Prototype/SpiderVehicle. Including the link here in case anyone is searching for the same thing.

The page (and related ones) also give answer to some of my previous questions.
Like for Q7,8 on spider_engine.military_target, the page says:
The name of the entity prototype that is gets biters interested in attacking the spider vehicle when nobody is in it.
My other questions still need answering though. Would be glad if someone can do so.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Hello, I put the answers to most of your questions on the wiki now, but I also want to answer them here.

1. Automatic weapon cycling has to be enabled in the spider vehicle prototype, but it does not matter if the player targets or auto targeting is on.
2. Yep.
3. Not sure if it's a better analogy, but it would indeed double the speed of weapon firing so that the chain shooting cooldown is only 25% of the original weapon cooldown.
4. Yes, spiders only.
5. The orientation of the torso of the spider affects the shooting direction and the drawing of the graphics and lights.
6. The height of the spider affects the shooting height and the drawing of the graphics and lights.

10. There seems to be some max movement speed, 0.007/(1-0.97) (tiles/s), that has "leg stretch force" and some magic numbers added onto it. The spider leg stretch force depends on the vehicle position, the leg ground position and leg part length ("the longer the legs are, the smaller the stretch force is."). So maybe changing the leg positions and part length around may change speed, but no idea beyond that.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

10. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=87932 (speed is coming in 1.1)
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Xorimuth wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:40 am
10. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=87932 (speed is coming in 1.1)
No, that is the runtime LuaEntity::speed, not a prototype value. Additionally, it is only readable and not writable.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Schallfalke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schallfalke »

Big thanks to Bilka and Xorimuth!
That helps a lot in Spidertron modding.

I will explore about the relations between speed and legs length.
For now, I do not have further questions. 8-)

Return to “Modding help”