Dumb question from a non-modder

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Dumb question from a non-modder

Post by Deadlock989 »

You have a folder called "Power Armor MK3_0.2.14" inside another folder with the same name. Don't do that. When mods are unzipped, the files should be in the top level of the named folder.

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

I am not aware that I edited the file structure in any way. When I unzip the file, I make my edit and rezip. I have not added nor taken away any folders.

EDIT!!!

Ok So apparently when I unzipped the file it created an extra level of heirarchy which was causing the problem. I deleted the extra folder and it works perfectly.
You guys rock. Now I will be asking more questions as I get more brave in my adventuring.
THANKS!

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

MassiveDynamic wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:56 pm
All I did was unpack the zip, change height,width to 30,30, repack the zip, delete the unzipped version. And here is the edited mod.
You made a mistake, somehow everything got shifted one level down:

Code: Select all

$ ls -lR Power\ Armor\ MK3_0.2.14
'Power Armor MK3_0.2.14':
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 6 pc pc 4096 Feb  2 15:48 'Power Armor MK3_0.2.14'

'Power Armor MK3_0.2.14/Power Armor MK3_0.2.14':
total 68
-rw-r--r-- 1 pc pc   352 Jan  2 14:05 data.lua
-rw-r--r-- 1 pc pc  2107 Jan 15 17:10 data-updates.lua
drwxr-xr-x 5 pc pc  4096 Feb  2 15:48 graphics
-rw-r--r-- 1 pc pc   475 Jan 23 10:39 info.json
-rw-r--r-- 1 pc pc  1069 May  8  2019 LICENSE
drwxr-xr-x 8 pc pc  4096 Feb  2 15:48 locale
drwxr-xr-x 2 pc pc  4096 Feb  2 15:48 migrations
drwxr-xr-x 6 pc pc  4096 Feb  2 15:48 prototypes
-rw-r--r-- 1 pc pc  4250 Jan 23 10:41 README.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 pc pc   991 Jan  2 13:50 settings.lua
-rw-r--r-- 1 pc pc 23402 May  8  2019 thumbnail.png
[…]
The logfile shows this error:

0.549 Error ModManager.cpp:864: Mod package read error. File /home/pc/GOG_Games/Factorio/test/mods/Power Armor MK3_0.2.14.zip/info.json not found
So, /mods/Power Armor MK3_0.2.14.zip/info.json can't be found because the real path to info.json is 'Power Armor MK3_0.2.14/Power Armor MK3_0.2.14'/info.json.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

I may have gotten carried way. Now I have edited so many things that I can literally stop a nuclear train like superman. Teehee.
Thanks again.

So for my next question how do I update the file to 18.3? Is there instructions out there?
I will send a message to the mod creator and ask him if he is going to do it, but that might be good practice for me.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

MassiveDynamic wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:46 pm
I may have gotten carried way. Now I have edited so many things that I can literally stop a nuclear train like superman. Teehee.
Thanks again.

So for my next question how do I update the file to 18.3? Is there instructions out there?
I will send a message to the mod creator and ask him if he is going to do it, but that might be good practice for me.
For a simple mod it might be enough to change factorio_version to 0.18 in mod's info.json file.

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

So, is this a bug?

After all my experimentation I decided to fiddle some more with things. So I removed my overpowered modded version of Power ArmorMK3 and re-downloaded the original version. But when I loaded my save file wearing the original armor this happened...

I still have ALL the equipment that fits in a 30x30 grid but the suit only has a 20x20 grid. Notice how the items flow outside the grid.
Attachments
Screenshot (26).png
Screenshot (26).png (1.86 MiB) Viewed 2891 times

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

MassiveDynamic wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:17 pm
So, is this a bug?
Maybe. Maybe more of an unintended consequence - equipment grids aren't expected to suddenly shrink.

You've discovered that messing around with mods can put saved games into an unwanted state. Think of it as another foot forward on the learning curve.

MassiveDynamic
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MassiveDynamic »

So I imagine the fix would be to check the grid size of the armor .... hmmmmm... how to determine if the equipped items should fit into current grid size???

But this could only happen in a test situation since my modded armor should technically be a different armor than mk4.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Planning is key. I write my changelogs before I make the changes.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:56 am
Do you also update it after you've made the changes?
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Pi-C wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:59 am
Deadlock989 wrote:
Depends whether the changelog tells me to.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:35 am
Pi-C wrote:
Deadlock989 wrote:
Just wondering about "I write my changelogs before I make the changes". From writing scientific papers, I know that the outline (what will I do why and how) should be the first and the last thing one writes: First, for laying out the general structure of the paper (helps the author during writing); last, because things will change during writing and the final outline should be in sync with the actual contents (helps the audience during reading).

Personally, I usually add to the changelog immediately after changing something (small things that needed fixing mostly). For longer-term planning, I always keep a category "TODO" in the entry of the latest version and move items from there to the appropriate place after implementing them. Keeping the latest version at the bottom of the log allows me to easily move "TODO" down by inserting the header of the latest version directly above it, so there's only one version that has "TODO" and that list is always up to date.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

MassiveDynamic wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:17 pm
So, is this a bug?

After all my experimentation I decided to fiddle some more with things. So I removed my overpowered modded version of Power ArmorMK3 and re-downloaded the original version. But when I loaded my save file wearing the original armor this happened...

I still have ALL the equipment that fits in a 30x30 grid but the suit only has a 20x20 grid. Notice how the items flow outside the grid.
I'd consider it a game bug but a small one (character inventory size dumps items, equipment grid inventory should, too). You should open up notepad++, and start writing a console command that will take all the equipment out of the armor. I can give you some tips, though it's simple enough.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Schallfalke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schallfalke »

Pi-C wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:27 am
Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:35 am
Pi-C wrote:
Deadlock989 wrote:
Just wondering about "I write my changelogs before I make the changes". From writing scientific papers, I know that the outline (what will I do why and how) should be the first and the last thing one writes: First, for laying out the general structure of the paper (helps the author during writing); last, because things will change during writing and the final outline should be in sync with the actual contents (helps the audience during reading).

Personally, I usually add to the changelog immediately after changing something (small things that needed fixing mostly). For longer-term planning, I always keep a category "TODO" in the entry of the latest version and move items from there to the appropriate place after implementing them. Keeping the latest version at the bottom of the log allows me to easily move "TODO" down by inserting the header of the latest version directly above it, so there's only one version that has "TODO" and that list is always up to date.
Joining the discussion about this part.
When starting to make/edit a mod, usually my first file to be opened in Notepad++ (I also use Sublime Text though) is changelog.txt. What I want to do is written down there first, say:

Features:
    - [WIP] Introduced 2 new weapons: plasma rifle, BFG 9000.
    - [WIP] Introduced 7 new ammo category, with 21 ammo types in total.
    - [WIP] Introduced 2 energy shield equipment.
    - [WIP] Introduced 2 battery equipment.
    - [WIP] Introduced 1 night vision equipment.
    - [WIP] Options on equipment MK3 enable.  (Default: On.)
  Locale:
    - [WIP] English, German, traditional Chinese, simplified Chinese are available.
The "[WIP]" tag is important, because it reminds me that part is not completed or not checked yet.
I do not mind how many "[WIP]" is present or intentionally sort them to first/last. (I sorted the changelog entries to their importance. Say, first comes with new entities that are "bigger", like new tanks. Next with new equipment. New options come after that. "Locale" and "License" are the last.)
The "[WIP]" tag of an entry is only removed, if I test that part in game and confirm it is working as intended.
When looking for a new part to work on, I simply have to look for any leading "[WIP]" tags.

I feel it is better than using a new category "TODO", because I don't have to reorganize/move those entries after finishing them.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Schallfalke wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:16 pm
When starting to make/edit a mod, usually my first file to be opened in Notepad++ (I also use Sublime Text though) is changelog.txt. What I want to do is written down there first, say:

Features:
  Locale:
Not sure if I understood you correctly: Do you make the list with [WIP] when you start working on a mod or on a mod release? I scanned the changelogs of the several smaller mods of yours that I have installed for "[WIP]", but didn't find any.
The "[WIP]" tag is important, because it reminds me that part is not completed or not checked yet.
I do not mind how many "[WIP]" is present or intentionally sort them to first/last. (I sorted the changelog entries to their importance. Say, first comes with new entities that are "bigger", like new tanks. Next with new equipment. New options come after that. "Locale" and "License" are the last.)
The "[WIP]" tag of an entry is only removed, if I test that part in game and confirm it is working as intended.
When looking for a new part to work on, I simply have to look for any leading "[WIP]" tags.

I feel it is better than using a new category "TODO", because I don't have to reorganize/move those entries after finishing them.
You have to remove the tags, I have to move the items from the TODO-list at the bottom to the current version (which is right above it). I might also rephrase an item completely because the TODO list is just a sketch, things may turn out a bit different than originally planned while I work on them. In my eyes, having the list at the end is beneficial because it allows me to make clean cuts. (Say, there's some feature I definitely want to add, but it will involve a lot of work and I just fixed a game-crashing bug so that fix should be released ASAP. I will have a reminder what I still need to do in future versions, users will see what is planned and that I just postponed an idea instead of abandoning it.)

Anyway, it works for me, therefore I recommended it -- but it's nothing that I want to impose on others. It's purely optional (unlike so many syntax rules that must be followed), just a little hack to make my life easier. :-)

Schallfalke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schallfalke »

Pi-C wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:44 pm
Schallfalke wrote:

Features:
  Locale:
Not sure if I understood you correctly: Do you make the list with [WIP] when you start working on a mod or on a mod release? I scanned the changelogs of the several smaller mods of yours that I have installed for "[WIP]", but didn't find any.
Of course I do mean when start working (create/edit) a mod.
Sorry if my English is that bad to express the idea.
Pi-C wrote:
Schallfalke wrote:
You have to remove the tags...
Yes, they are the signs of any incomplete parts.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Schallfalke wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:06 pm
Pi-C wrote:
It has nothing to do with your English, just with the general idea itself. Let me rephrase: Do you only upload a version if there are no "[WIP]" tags left, so the tags are a per-version thing? That would be a another approach than mine because I mean to carry over the list to the next version -- like a small notebook to quickly jot down some ideas for future reference…

Schallfalke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schallfalke »

Pi-C wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:30 pm
Schallfalke wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:06 pm
Pi-C wrote:
It has nothing to do with your English, just with the general idea itself. Let me rephrase: Do you only upload a version if there are no "[WIP]" tags left, so the tags are a per-version thing? That would be a another approach than mine because I mean to carry over the list to the next version -- like a small notebook to quickly jot down some ideas for future reference…
OK. I am not good at explaining things concisely. So please forgive my wall of text.

I view the released mods as "products" for users, so I only write what features/changes I am supposed to put into that version. So yes, I only write those "[WIP]" entries of what I think appropriate to that, and only release that if no "[WIP]" tags are left.

I kept notes (together with any future features or ideas) to myself, in my own thick "notebook".
I found this way is much more suitable for myself, because there were many different ideas and new proposals... Some of them never implemented (could be already implemented by other mods, UPS-inefficient, have better alternate approach, etc.) Some of them are implemented as a standalone mod. A few of them are put into a different mod from what I first thought.
So these kinds of "early ideas" are better not bounded with any mods yet, but in my "central notebook".

Only when I am ready to get my hands dirty (and collected enough ideas, as well as thoroughly thought), I will take those I feel appropriate and paste them into mod changelog as [WIP] entries.
Only the developing/published mods get their "own notebook" (and changelog, of course). This is how I manage my current 39+X mods.

Example:
My "Gun Pod" mod is solely for providing tank grid equipment, so my first idea to put all those into "Tank Platoon" mod. But it ends up as a separate mod. (Somewhat similar reasons to my other combat mods, like "Ammo Turrets", "Artillery", "Land Mines", etc.)
If I have put all those ideas into the "Tank Platoon" doc pile in the place, it would be a big pain to separate which-to-which.

Return to “Modding help”