Updating Xerus's Mining+ mod to .18/1.0

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Updating Xerus's Mining+ mod to .18/1.0

Post by Voidedfactory »

I'm getting ready to start a new campaign in Factorio for .17--probly won't officially start until the new year, but I wanted to make sure my mods were at least compatible with the new stable beta. One of the mods I really like called Mining+ by Xerus, however, is not updated, and on the Mod portal Xerus seems to indicate that at best updating it to .17 is very low on his priority list, if he intends to do it at all (that's how I interpret it, anyways), but if a suitable update is presented for him he'd be willing to publish it.

My first question is: Is there anyone who'd be willing to go in and update this mod, at least for me if not for anyone else? I personally have 0 experience on crafting and/or updating a mod or anything like that, so I'd rather ask someone else with more experience to handle it first.

If no one can, though, my next question is what can I do to try and update it, if anything? I know the mod portal has a link to explain how to make mods, and while I haven't looked at it yet, I will if I need to as I expect it'll tell me how to update a mod to the next beta release (or for the upcoming "full release" in 2020, woot!). I still have the mod (in what I think is it's most recently-updated form) on my own computer as an actual folder as opposed to a .zip file or anything like that, so I'd probably only need to get a lua scripting program or something like that.

Many thanks to anyone who can help me out here.

(I felt like this was the best forum to put it in since Xerus doesn't have a topic on this mod on the forums itself, and it's not like the mod doesn't work; it just isn't updated for .17 as opposed to .16.)
Last edited by Voidedfactory on Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Updating a mod to .17

Post by kingarthur »

i put this together in like ten minutes. it loads but idk if its got any deadlock issues since they adjusted science packs since .16
Attachments
MiningPlus_0.17.0.zip
(8.41 MiB) Downloaded 73 times

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

Thanks, kingarthur!

I had no trouble getting the first research (basic drill), although I don't know about the last two because I don't have blue science available (yeah, I decided to start one after all), much less purple/yellow. Still, the avanced drill works perfectly so that area of the mod is fine, as does the repair kit 2.

The personal drill, though, doesn't work. Which is expected since the mining tool slot has been removed. I got to the very last tick of the crafting timer before it told me that. I have no idea what needs to be changed under the hood for that, but maybe it's as simple as changing the durability for the three mining tools to be a percentage change to your mining speed (alongside making it researchable? Or could that just be an addition to the research slot already there?)?

I would be even more grateful if you or someone else could tweak that for me, arthur, but at the very least the mining drills work, which is what I wanted at minimum. I'll try to post an update on if the other two mining researches work or not.

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

Wow, I think I forgot about updating on the two drills. Suffice to say, they don't work since there isn't a slot for miners anymore.

But, with the upgrade to .18/1.0, kingarthur's compatibility fix is out of date. If I could, I'd like to request an update for .18 as well now that it's officially out.

Many thanks!

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Updating a mod to .18/1.0

Post by Voidedfactory »

Changed the title to the most recent version. I have a save I'm on right now that I want to try and finish before I move on to a new on if at all possible (although, in some fairness I could just start a new one for a different scenario since Mining+ only starts being helpful closer to the mid-game, but I admit I just want to have it ready before I start a new one).

Any work on making it .18/1.0 compatible and/or on getting the drills to upgrade player mining speed would be appreciated.

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Updating Xerus's Mining+ mod to .18/1.0

Post by Voidedfactory »

Small bump. Also specified the mod in the title, which will hopefully make it easier for anyone to know what I mean instead of a vague "update this random mod, plz!"

As I said at the start, I'm not a coder or a modder, and I'd rather not risk accidentally fucking up the mod while trying to get this changed, so I'd like to leave this to people who know their way around lua scripting and the like. (I mean, hopefully it's just a matter of making it say it's for .18/1.0, but...)

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Voidedfactory wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:59 am
Small bump. Also specified the mod in the title, which will hopefully make it easier for anyone to know what I mean instead of a vague "update this random mod, plz!"

As I said at the start, I'm not a coder or a modder, and I'd rather not risk accidentally fucking up the mod while trying to get this changed, so I'd like to leave this to people who know their way around lua scripting and the like. (I mean, hopefully it's just a matter of making it say it's for .18/1.0, but...)
ill take a look tonight. the biggest issue is going to be the graphics tweaks from the changes to base game miners.

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

Has there been any luck? Any chance of finding a mod that gives the old graphics and maybe making it a dependency for this mod, perhaps?

I don't know how much effort went into the models for the adv. and elite drills besides recoloring (and resizing for the elite), so I'm not sure if it'd be faster to redesign them based on the new models or find a graphics tweak as a path. (Hell, given what little I know of scripting, I'm not even sure you'd get the older models through resizing/recoloring alone).

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

I admit to slightly forgetting about this myself, so I hope this isn't too much of a necro for others.

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

Probly the last push I'll ask for, since they're planning on cutting support for .17 with the 1.1 update. I do at least have the map in question loaded and saved as another file, so with any luck I can just replace all the elite drills I have (I think). Obviously the best case would be that I can just re-save on 1.0 and the drills would be there, but that would require an update to the mod, I think.

(I suppose I could just let it die as Xerus is very unlikely to come back to his mod at this rate and I'd be reliant on somebody being willing to keep it updated with the new versions or figuring out lua scripting enough to update it myself, but I honestly really like this mod and would like to keep it if at all possible. Anyone who can update it so I can keep this file going (or have the mod for future games) will have all of my thanks!)

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Voidedfactory wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:23 am
Probly the last push I'll ask for, since they're planning on cutting support for .17 with the 1.1 update. I do at least have the map in question loaded and saved as another file, so with any luck I can just replace all the elite drills I have (I think). Obviously the best case would be that I can just re-save on 1.0 and the drills would be there, but that would require an update to the mod, I think.

(I suppose I could just let it die as Xerus is very unlikely to come back to his mod at this rate and I'd be reliant on somebody being willing to keep it updated with the new versions or figuring out lua scripting enough to update it myself, but I honestly really like this mod and would like to keep it if at all possible. Anyone who can update it so I can keep this file going (or have the mod for future games) will have all of my thanks!)
sorry i keep getting busy and this got bury under bug fixing other things and forgotten. im looking into it right now to see what breaks with 1.0 and should have something functional in a bit.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

heres a 1.0 update. had to redo a bit due to the change in miner graphics.
Attachments
miningplus_1.0.0.zip
(17.87 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

Oof. Thought I had replied but apparently not.

Thanks for the update!

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Voidedfactory wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:45 am
Oof. Thought I had replied but apparently not.

Thanks for the update!
and now its gotta get updated to 1.1 now as well eventually.

Return to “Modding help”