How to deprecate one mod and redirect to another?

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How to deprecate one mod and redirect to another?

Post by Pi-C »

Optera wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:57 am
I may have substituted you idea with what made more sense to me.

For what you just described use dependency on a maximum version. Say original 0.1.1 made the fix obsolete then dependencies in the fix should simple be

Code: Select all

"dependencies": ["original < 0.1.1"]
This allows the fix to work fine on old versions, but will automatically disable it once original has been updated to 0.1.1.
But wouldn't this try to install the (old, broken) original? There are two issues with the original mod: It was broken in such a way that the game wouldn't load if it was active -- and the author was MIA for about two months. That's quite a long time, so some people may have given up waiting and removed his mod altogether.

I made my mod in order to restore the existing functionality of the original, but I had no intention to develop it further. So the idea was to urge people back to the original once its author returned and updated. This includes also new people who never used the original but saw my fix and downloaded that (why not, two months is a long time -- and if the original author hadn't returned a day after I released, but weeks or months later, there's a good chance that at least some people might have downloaded my mod first). Now, my mod is the one that is obsolete because the original mod has been updated (i.e. it has been restored to a working condition, and it has new features), so I should depend on the latest version of the original, not the broken version. It just makes no sense to use my mod any longer.

By the way: I guess I've spent more time on deprecating my mod (definitely, if the time discussing how to do it right is included in the calculation) than on actually making it. :-D
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Return to “Modding help”