Sorry I'm sure this has been asked but didn't see it. Does unzippign the mods help? (Solved)

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Darkmatterx76
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Sorry I'm sure this has been asked but didn't see it. Does unzippign the mods help? (Solved)

Post by Darkmatterx76 »

Hi, I did a search and got to many hits for unzip, so I'm making a post even though I'm SURE you've been asked this 100 times.

Does unzipping mods make them,

1. Load faster when you load the game?

2. Run smoother in game?

Thanks!

DM
Last edited by Darkmatterx76 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Sorry I'm sure this has been asked but didn't see it. Does unzippign the mods help?

Post by robot256 »

2) it definitely won't run differently in game, since once it finishes loading all the big files are in memory, and once you start the game so are all the little files too.

1) Haven't compared loading speed, but I can't imagine it making much difference. PNG graphics don't really compress much in a zip, so it's about the same number of bytes to read from disk either way and not much cpu work to decompress. The advantages of keeping your mods zipped are that you don't have to do anything aside from the mod portal, and you're more likely to match the mod checksums of others in multiplayer.

Darkmatterx76
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Sorry I'm sure this has been asked but didn't see it. Does unzippign the mods help?

Post by Darkmatterx76 »

Thank-you that was a great answer!

DM

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Sorry I'm sure this has been asked but didn't see it. Does unzippign the mods help? (Solved)

Post by Hiladdar »

There are several other advantages for developers.

First, it is possible to have a zipped version and unzipped version in the same mods folder. Factorio will ignore the zipped version and use the unzipped version. This can be used test changes. Second is that it is much harder to make changes to a .zip file, at least on Win10 then an unzipped file.

My recommendation is to play with your mods zipped. This way you have a way to easily update your downloaded mods as developers post their updates from within the client.

Hiladdar

Therax
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Sorry I'm sure this has been asked but didn't see it. Does unzippign the mods help? (Solved)

Post by Therax »

Unzipping the mods will likely make game loading significantly slower. Opening hundreds of different files is significantly slower due to operating system overhead than opening a single .zip and reading it from start to finish.
Miniloader — UPS-friendly 1x1 loaders
Bulk Rail Loaders — Rapid train loading and unloading
Beltlayer & Pipelayer — Route items and fluids freely underground

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

In the early days, having the mod as files was fast.

however, some optimisations were done a while back, and since then, loading zipped mods is faster. Probably around the time the mod portal was established.

Q: If mods load faster when zipped, why isn't Base mod in some sort of archive file?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Modding help”